Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 19 Jul 2003, 12:26 (Ref:665566)   #1
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nop Survey: Mg Beats Bmw Five-nil

NOP SURVEY: MG BEATS BMW FIVE-NIL – AD CAMPAIGN WILL REVEAL

Britain’s MG Rover has scored an historic victory over Germany’s BMW, beating the famous marque five-nil in an independent consumer survey carried out by researchers NOP. The results will feature in national press advertising campaign, starting July 19.

The testing took place at Croft Racing Circuit. NOP assembled a panel of more than 100 consumers to assess the similarly priced MGZT 190+ and the BMW 318i SE. The panel judged both models across five categories. Using a combination of driving exercises, questionnaires and interviews the panel evaluated the cars on quality of exterior and interior, driving experience and performance, handling, driving enjoyment and overall desirability.

The research revealed that the BMW lost considerable ground to the MG on the road. More than 90% of the panel judged the MG to outperform the BMW, which trailed the MG for throttle response, straight-line performance, acceleration, braking, sportiness and top speed. Seventy-one per cent favoured the handling of the British car, which recorded higher scores for responsiveness, cornering, agility, ride quality, road holding and body roll.

An overwhelming 86% enjoyed the overall driving experience more, behind the wheel of the MG, compared to just 14% that enjoyed the BMW. Reasons cited for this by respondents included the car’s character, the excitement of the drive and the impression the car makes in a crowd.

When it came to looks, functional yet dull German design lost out to eyecatching British styling. In the appearance category, the MG outpointed the BMW for sportiness and distinctiveness while the model’s overall looks were considered by 75% of the respondents to be more impressive than the German car.

The BMW interior was also marked down. It was beaten by MG for colour, comfort, roominess, styling, seat support and dashboard appearance. Overall, only 20% of the panellists preferred the German interior, compared to 80% that opted for the MG.

Finally, almost all (91%) of the respondents stated they believed the MG was better value for money than the BMW.

John Edwards, sales and marketing director, MG Rover commented: “You always take a bit of a risk when you commission an independent survey, that makes direct comparisons with the competition. We were fairly confident that the same money buys a lot more MG than BMW but we were completely bowled over by the results, which gave a conclusive victory to the MG ZT. Five-nil seems to be a familiar result when we take on Germany”.

The full survey can be viewed at www.mgbeatsbmw.com
Old 19 Jul 2003, 17:09 (Ref:665689)   #2
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How was it in the last J.P. survey?

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 19 Jul 2003, 19:47 (Ref:665746)   #3
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a look at that website, which is a very good, if graphics-intensive one, and I was surprised at the margin between the MG and the BMW.

GO MG!!!
Old 19 Jul 2003, 19:58 (Ref:665754)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a history point here.

MG became a marque in its own right beause it took the general run of the mill product and improved it. If that ethos is returning then it seems that the baseline is BMW and MG are maiking it better.

Good to hear. (read?)
Old 19 Jul 2003, 20:00 (Ref:665756)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah!...I love irony!!!

Old 19 Jul 2003, 20:11 (Ref:665766)   #6
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its just like what clarkson once said.

BMW sell MG rover and the lads at the factory go "Rite lads, time to get to work"
Old 20 Jul 2003, 07:30 (Ref:666027)   #7
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the drivers were brits .. am I right???? .. ... wonder if it was made in germany ...

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:06 (Ref:666609)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not sure quite where to start here, because I do actually like the ZT. But if I happened to somehow land in the CEO's chair at MG Rover, it's the marketing department I'd sack en masse, not the production department. Who allowed a quote to go to press saying "Five-nil seems to be a familiar result when we take on Germany."??? If you're referring to that football match in Munich (the one that's a distant memory to anyone except desperate England fans), it was FIVE - ONE you s ! If you're going to try and be cool, at least get it right!

On what earthly basis are the MG ZT and BMW 318i supposed to be comparable cars? They've both got four doors, and they're a similar price... but that's it.

For a start, the Rover 75 body isn't a 'compact' saloon - it's a medium saloon, so the comparable BMW is the 5 series. And of course the MG ZT is specifically a sports saloon, so (if we look for similar power etc.) the comparable BMW is the 525i Sport. But that's about 8 grand dearer than the MG.

A more genuine comparison would be with the £21,745 Mondeo ST220. But, even with the crippling disability of being a Ford, I suspect the ST220 would come out on top - just.

This whole thing is set up by MG's press office to try and make a point that doesn't match up and will probably make absolutely no difference whatsoever in the showrooms.

The MG line-up is a very good range of sports hatches and saloons, that are at least as good as their mainstream rivals, and represent superb value for money against the premium sector marques. So why not compare the MG ZT against a 525i Sport?? - it would do ok in this type of customer 'survey', and they could drive home the point of how much better value it is... "ok, the 525's a decent car, but is it really eight grand better??"

If they really want to compare with similar priced BMW's, then they ought to put a top spec Rover 75 against a BMW 520i SE or an MG ZT against a 320i Sport. Then it might make sense (although the MG and Rover wouldn't come out quite so well).

It's just a shame that such a good range of cars as the MGs seem to be constantly let down by MG Rover's grossly incompetent marketing division.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:13 (Ref:666620)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder how the panel of judges was assembled? Maybe it was assembled from those who were made redundant after BMW left Rover for dead??? I'm sure they wouldn't have got the same results if this 'consumer survey' was held in Germany or any other country...
Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:51 (Ref:666670)   #10
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And just maybe being owned briefly by BMW has reminded MG how to make decent cars again. Just a thought!....
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:55 (Ref:667164)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Look out for more highly informative MG Rover "consumer surveys" folks!

MGF versus Daewoo Matiz!
Rover 45 versus Suzuki Liana! [actually, that'd be quite close - Ed]
Rover 75 estate versus Renault Kangoo!
Rover 25 versus concessionary bus pass!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 18:02 (Ref:667461)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm really pleased MG is re-establishing itself as a marque to be reckoned with but as Garcon, and others have suggested, this is a flawed survey. I also happen to agree with KRT's comment, but then I would wouldn't I?
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!