Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Aug 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1692766)   #1
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autodrome Turn 8

Man that turn 8's a thing to behold. Overall the whole circuit is fun to watch and that corner is right up there with the best. Been along time coming as the newer tracks go, some real yawners out there, but the Autodrome's not one of them. Great stuff.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 13:20 (Ref:1692781)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a great circuit, difficult enough to keep the drivers on the edge. Running anti-clockwise means taht the fast corners put extra stress on the neck muscles, which adds even more to it.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 13:42 (Ref:1692797)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ya, 1 da best.

Welcome Last2LiftOff !

Old 26 Aug 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1692798)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eau rouge is better.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Aug 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1692801)   #5
Racer_kyle
Racer

Northern Ireland
Edinburgh
Racer_kyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah have to agree it's an amazing corner!
Old 26 Aug 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1692820)   #6
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Glad to be here Bononi; thank you.

A pain in the neck for the engineers too I'm sure Boots. And ya, Eau Rouge is better, but this one makes the likes of Malaysia and China look like a waste o' money, certainly not worth the two spots on the calender. They're too much about marketing not driving IMO. Oh ya, and Bahrain too.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1692822)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I personally am not a fan of the Istanbul circuit I have to say Turn 8 is something to behold.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Aug 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1692826)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The more the better.

And yes, Bahrain and Shangai are just marketing venues.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1692831)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Tilke finally got something right
Old 26 Aug 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1692838)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Yep, but there are too many bads to make him look good...
Old 26 Aug 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1692873)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
While I personally am not a fan of the Istanbul circuit I have to say Turn 8 is something to behold.
As I said earlier I went last year and watching qualifying today you don't get a sense of the place from the TV. The gradients are waaaaay steeper than they appear on the box. Turn 8 is awesome too.

Comparing anywhere to Spa is futile though because the circuits are all different. However Spa, if anything, is being dummed down with its tarmac run offs (once upon a time running wide at pouhon was scary - no longer).

Tilke still screwed up with the last three corners though.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1692882)   #12
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Not in any particular order, but:
  • 130R at Suzuka
  • Corkscrew at Lagua Seca
  • the original Eau Rouge at Spa
  • Turkey Turn 8.

Other nominees for great turns?
Old 26 Aug 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1692905)   #13
Baritone2400
Racer

United States
Washington,DC
Baritone2400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
Not in any particular order, but:
  • 130R at Suzuka
  • Corkscrew at Lagua Seca
  • the original Eau Rouge at Spa
  • Turkey Turn 8.

Other nominees for great turns?
yeah heres a few

the kink at road america
turn 2 at mosport
the final turn at road ATL
the final turn at Barcelona
the turns on the mountian of bathurst

anymore?
Old 26 Aug 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1692909)   #14
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Istanbul is a great track. If it looks impressive on TV no doubt it looks even better in 'real life'. Turn 8 is a great corner. I wonder how the drivers would fare through it if they didn't have traction control or any electronic driving aids. That would be worth watching for sure.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1692918)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Turn 8 is a great turn,but it needs a name.

GR8 perhaps.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1692922)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think 'turn 8' is fine. Everyone knows it by that name now!
Old 26 Aug 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1692928)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
I think 'turn 8' is fine. Everyone knows it by that name now!
There's also a "Turn 8" at Indy,definitely not to be confused.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1692938)   #18
safc_fan89
Veteran

Yeah well...why would anyone say that any turns at Indy are good?
Old 26 Aug 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1692962)   #19
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baritone2400
yeah heres a few

the kink at road america
turn 2 at mosport
the final turn at road ATL
the final turn at Barcelona
the turns on the mountian of bathurst

anymore?
Very good. I know there won't be a chicane that makes the list.

Old 26 Aug 2006, 18:31 (Ref:1692963)   #20
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Indeed! Why would any turn taken at over 325 kph - flat for some - be considered good?
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1693014)   #21
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
There's also a "Turn 8" at Indy,definitely not to be confused.
And in Shanghai, Sakhir and Hungaroring also.

In Indianapolis it's left-hander at the end of back straight
In Shanghai it's right-hander where Schumacher spun last year (behind SC)
In Sakhir it's slow right-hander in the middle part of the track
In Hungaroring I have seen different numberings but I think it should be left-hander after the chicane where Schumacher was shortcutting.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1693020)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu
And in Shanghai, Sakhir and Hungaroring also.

In Indianapolis it's left-hander at the end of back straight
In Shanghai it's right-hander where Schumacher spun last year (behind SC)
In Sakhir it's slow right-hander in the middle part of the track
In Hungaroring I have seen different numberings but I think it should be left-hander after the chicane where Schumacher was shortcutting.
hmmm....all very anonomous and worthy of the name "Turn 8".
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1693022)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes I would, turn thirteen for instance
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1693027)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Turn thirteen (unlucky for some) is not much of a challenge,unless of course you brought the wrong tyres.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1693041)   #25
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Hardly. In an F1 car it requires minimum effort. Only one of the current drivers has problems with it. It's an awful track, Indy. They may as well use the full oval.