Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1696867)   #1
coyote9999
Racer

Canada
Montreal, Canada
coyote9999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting article by a Nascar writer

Hello people,

Interesting to know what other people think of our series.

http://sports.yahoo.com/cart/news?sl...yhoo&type=lgns
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1696875)   #2
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He says how great Montreal is. When NASCAR rolls into town, unfortunately it won't stay that way.

But seriously, some interesting quotes:

Quote:
The Champ Car (formerly CART) Series has been through some tough times. Just more than a decade ago, it was more popular in the United States than NASCAR.

While the IRL can boast of comparatively large annual attendance figures, a good deal of it comes in May at the Indy 500. Champ Car, on the other hand, easily draws 70,000 or more people on a race weekend on a regular basis, something the IRL is unable to do.

The attendance figures for both open wheel series are dwarfed by NASCAR's numbers, but it shows that open wheel racing is still alive in North America and between the two open wheel series, Champ Car is doing it right.

I would be willing to wager that anyone attending a Champ Car event would agree that they are being entertained far more than at an IRL race. The IRL caters to race fans; Champ Car caters to sports fans, race fans, music fans and people who just want to enjoy themselves. Oh, and if a race just happens to be going on, then so be it.

With an all-new racecar making its debut in 2007 along with an all-road course race schedule, Champ Car is poised to make further gains on the path to being something close to its former glory. One can only hope it doesn't get too impatient.

One only needs to attend a Champ Car event and talk to the players in the paddock to understand why this series isn't in a hurry to unify with the IRL.
I can see what he's saying. Its good a NASCAR fan seems to have good knowlege of open wheel racing in the U.S.

Last edited by luke; 29 Aug 2006 at 17:57.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1696878)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't see why it won't...

Montreal will always be a great venue.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1697008)   #4
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is is Nextel or Busch Series? I thought the deal that was being kicked about was a Bush Race on Saturday and IRL as the main event on Sunday. Either way, Tracy seems to think that CCWS will be there next year. Who knows, if OWRS steps up and offers promoting incentives ($$$) they may get a contract for three or more years. Questions are how bad do they want it and is it already too late?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 20:42 (Ref:1697071)   #5
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinthestreets
Is is Nextel or Busch Series? I thought the deal that was being kicked about was a Bush Race on Saturday and IRL as the main event on Sunday.
It's Busch, not NASCAR - but with lots of ringers who then hustle down to Pocono for the Sunday NASCAR race.

And in that context IRL (or CC) is not the main event of the weekend. No matter who runs Sunday, the Saturday crowd will be bigger.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Aug 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1698035)   #6
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the Busch race in Montreal will be like the one in Mexico City, huge crowds, lots of Nextel Cup and Local drivers, and a race thats much slower in terms of speed and a tad boring.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 05:45 (Ref:1698189)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Champ Car caters to sports fans, race fans, music fans and people who just want to enjoy themselves. Oh, and if a race just happens to be going on, then so be it."

Well maybe those kinds of people are there, but I think for a lot of us race fans, we've sat in mud, we've dealt with poor facilities, we've dealt with "dead air" on the race track, etc. And champcar really makes an effort to have a fan friendly event with lots to do and see. When i come back from a champcar race I don't have the feeling "oh I should have just watched it on tv and saved myself the pain" like other series.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 07:54 (Ref:1698234)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch
I think the Busch race in Montreal will be like the one in Mexico City, huge crowds, lots of Nextel Cup and Local drivers, and a race thats much slower in terms of speed and a tad boring.
The crowd for the busch race was small compared to the CCWS attendance last year...