Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 29 May 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3645447)   #26
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Focus has a very weird sound, almost sounds like a flat four, but the WRC 2 litre engine had a weird sort of thrum to it.

The front end suspension is very, very soft, through the chicane the thing was often off the air like a Porsche would be in the 80's. Very obviously a WRC sort of set up.
Old 29 May 2016, 14:54 (Ref:3645526)   #27
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The Focus has a very weird sound, almost sounds like a flat four, but the WRC 2 litre engine had a weird sort of thrum to it.

The front end suspension is very, very soft, through the chicane the thing was often off the air like a Porsche would be in the 80's. Very obviously a WRC sort of set up.
Bakkerud actually said that he felt the car handles more like a rally car. Some good spotting there!
Old 29 May 2016, 20:39 (Ref:3645642)   #28
Distracted
Racer

United Kingdom
Distracted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to today and was a bit disappointed. I felt like I couldn't get a good view of the track wherever I stood because so much was blocked off.

Wasn't a fan of the wristband palaver either.
Old 29 May 2016, 20:44 (Ref:3645644)   #29
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one, here's my vid from Saturdays action tho sods law I missed most of the contact, anyway all coment welcome as normal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOjJ...fap1xrmcdspr04
Old 29 May 2016, 20:46 (Ref:3645645)   #30
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great weekend of rallycross at Lydden. The standard is top class now at these #WorldRX events. Only two grumbles, the lack of bogs today but mainly the utter disrespect of doing the stupid monster rig riot with racing ongoing. Hank goodness the volume was quieter than Saturday but that sort of rubbish will get the circuit shutdown by locals not motorsport.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 30 May 2016, 12:12 (Ref:3645782)   #31
pettersolberg29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK, Kent
pettersolberg29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second most of the comments above - the loo situation was awful, the rig riot is an embarrassment. Got myself a grandstand ticket for Sunday and it was well worth it - great view of the whole circuit. Saturday was good too but mainly because it was quieter!

In terms of racing, Petter was a cut above in terms of speed, but obviously got his tactics wrong and Ekstrom was easily second fastest. Impressed by Bakkerud's handling of the Focus.

Got some pics up at https://flic.kr/s/aHskA1i9vf if anyone is interested.
Old 30 May 2016, 20:39 (Ref:3645889)   #32
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well it seems to be a common verdict (I went on Saturday only):

Positives:
Racing excellent (as noted Solberg and Ekstrom were superb)
Group B 'demo' excellent - 5 6R4s on circuit? I'll have some of that!
Paddock access - still able to see the cars being worked on which was good
Driver access - there were plenty of drivers willing to talk or sign stuff (not all of the big names but some at least).

Negatives:
Toilets - back to the bad old days - not enough and those that were there were dirty (even first thing on Saturday).
Rig Riot - just no. For a venue with noise issues that is just plain stupid and that's before we even mention the content and the fact that the music was drowning out the engine noise - the sound of the cars is part of the experience, don't drown it out.
Drifting - I still don't get it and can't see that it has a place at a rallycross meeting.
Terry Grant - ok if you haven't seen him before, seen him once don't need to see him again.
Old 30 May 2016, 21:33 (Ref:3645909)   #33
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mind all the fillers. I don't enjoy them but in mettet they just had an empty track for an hour or so and this is better than that. I'd rather time was filled with ERX or touring car but appreciate that biggest dictate they can't be at all events. The Group B demo was good for a filler (especially Saturday as they actually raced, on Sunday there was a no overtaking rule). Swifts would be a good filler too.

Rig riot is an absolute shocker. It was appalling at mettet, the content of the songs is not at all OK for families and it is deafeningly loud. Hate the fact they put it on during the racing. If you have to have it for half hour during the breaks then OK, but not during the races.

Racing was excellent, driving standards very high apart from some clowns in s1600 (Zanni and a Russian fool in a Twingo). Some really good clean battles off the joker lap too. Really exciting when they are door handling all the way down the Dover Slope! Some cracking fights in S1600 too.

My biggest gripe, and this is modern WRX not just Lydden, is the reluctance to throw a red flag. They will quote TV schedule which is absolute nonsense. There were plenty of gaps at mettet and Lydden to squeeze in delays. Someone is going to get seriously hurt, we've been saying for a while and it will happen. This time a car landed on another and then caught fire, it's just a matter of time til someone is in the stationary car. Sadly I think it will take a big accident for people to learn.
Old 31 May 2016, 08:00 (Ref:3645994)   #34
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
The Group B demo was good for a filler (especially Saturday as they actually raced, on Sunday there was a no overtaking rule).
Definitely racing on the Saturday weren't they? 3 6R4s going into the North Bend squabbling over track position was excellent. I did overhear one of the drivers being 'told off' in the paddock - apparently there wasn't supposed to be overtaking on Saturday either!

Quote:
Rig riot is an absolute shocker. It was appalling at mettet, the content of the songs is not at all OK for families and it is deafeningly loud. Hate the fact they put it on during the racing. If you have to have it for half hour during the breaks then OK, but not during the races.
Agree on all points. Regarding the content of the 'music' at Mettet - I've found that on Dutch radio (possibly also Belgian?) that songs don't have the swearing bleeped out - nearly choked the first time I heard Eminem on Dutch radio!

Quote:
Racing was excellent, driving standards very high apart from some clowns in s1600 (Zanni and a Russian fool in a Twingo).
Was that the guy that span off going into Chessons then took out the Ka when he rejoined?

Quote:
Some really good clean battles off the joker lap too. Really exciting when they are door handling all the way down the Dover Slope! Some cracking fights in S1600 too.
S1600 always seems to produce good racing at Lydden - I've not seen it anywhere else - it it always the best class for racing?

Quote:
My biggest gripe, and this is modern WRX not just Lydden, is the reluctance to throw a red flag. They will quote TV schedule which is absolute nonsense. There were plenty of gaps at mettet and Lydden to squeeze in delays. Someone is going to get seriously hurt, we've been saying for a while and it will happen. This time a car landed on another and then caught fire, it's just a matter of time til someone is in the stationary car. Sadly I think it will take a big accident for people to learn.
Most series now don't like to throw a red - full course yellow, virtual safety car, safety car all being preferred options - none of which would work in rallycross as the races are so short. Just chuck out a red flag and go again. There's time in the schedule as long as it's not every single race being flagged and even then they could shuffle the order and prioritise the Supercars for TV time and stick the others onto the end of the schedule once the TV window has closed.
Old 31 May 2016, 09:01 (Ref:3646001)   #35
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Yes it was the guy that stuffed it into the Ka at chessons. Lunacy! I'm trying to remember other places we've been to with S1600, am pretty sure that it has been good racing at loheac and Italy too, think the top guys are a but closer in terms of performance.

The red flag isn't just a safety thing but in some heats (especially at mettet), cars were losing at least a second lap having to slalom stricken cars. The equivalent is f1 qualifying where they do throw a red flag regularly to avoid peoples' times being ruined. I don't think they wildebeest change their ways on this though. If I were driving and missed a semi cos of this, I'd be furious
Old 31 May 2016, 09:59 (Ref:3646009)   #36
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
PS, any ideas as to numbers there on Sunday? It was the busiest I've ever seen it (especially with the camping full and the overflow car park at the top pretty much full). Over 15,000 maybe?
Old 31 May 2016, 10:17 (Ref:3646013)   #37
bigdick1977
Racer

England
Swindon
bigdick1977 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read on FB (I think) over 20,000 on Sunday. Enjoyed the weekend, blocked out the Monster stuff (drifting, Terry Grand and the rig stuff). I wonder how long it will be until someone tries to claim damage costs back from IMG/ FIA for additional damage caused because a red flag hasn't been shown? The Saxo of Barbosa didn't look too bad until Linneman landed on it!
Old 31 May 2016, 10:20 (Ref:3646014)   #38
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Good point! Barbosa looked absolutely furious (and rightly so).
Old 31 May 2016, 10:47 (Ref:3646018)   #39
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't a red flag only brought out because of a heavier crash, drivers not coming out of the car after a crash, not showing movement after a crash and if a car is standing dangerously or hindering in the middle of the track?
Old 31 May 2016, 12:33 (Ref:3646027)   #40
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Probably yes, but it seems their view as to what constitutes a car being dangerously stricken in the middle of the track differs to what any sensible person's view is. A car at the end of the joker exit and chessons exit is in a dangerous spot. In mettet, cars were just over the crest of a hill (I.e. blind approach) and racing went on. They are not cautious enough in my opinion and something very bad is going to happen.
Old 31 May 2016, 13:45 (Ref:3646044)   #41
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Rig Riot - just no. For a venue with noise issues that is just plain stupid
Had exactly the same thought myself: all the talk about quietening cars down, yet they were playing music at volume throughout the weekend. The rig riot on Saturday was absolutely ridiculous. I was sat in a car parked half way up the hill (so basically opposite the rig riot) and I was having to raise my voice to have a conversation.

At least they seemed to turn the volume down on Sunday but, as others have said, I personally don't want to hear music over the sounds of racing. Have the stand playing music if they must, but not at high volume.

That moan aside, I still had an enjoyable weekend. Some really good racing in all the classes, though the Super 1600's stood out in particular. Huge numbers of people there on the Sunday. Glad to see the track using some sense with regards to traffic/parking management.

The Focus should, in theory, have been quick at Lydden so I was glad to see Bakkerud on the pace. Damn shame that the car let him down in the final. Interesting comments with regards to the setup of the Focus. With M-Sport's having zero rallycross experience with the Focus I wonder if they have used their previous experience with the Focus (WRC) as a starting point? (though I appreciate that was for a different Focus chassis).

Disappointed that Block didn't fare better. Given the pace he has shown in Europe in the past I can't help but think he isn't suited to the Focus. I would love to sit in the drivers seat of the Focus as, although I'm sure the layout provides the optimal weight distribution, I can't help but think that the position of the drivers seat must make it a very difficult car to drive.

Fantastic driving from some of the supercar drivers, as has been said the commitment from the front runners is massive. Impressive performance from Kevin Hansen and some spectacular driving from Petter. Watching Solberg during semi-final one was incredible: ditch-hooking at the elbow and fully sideways through Paddock Hill bend. Not great driving for the tyres though! A very smart drive from Ekstrom though.

Damn shame that the Group B cars couldn't be given a bit more of a thrashing, but it was still great to see them there. Drift is a relevant filler for Lydden so I personally had no problem with that or Terry Grant. Would much rather see them than an empty track!
Old 31 May 2016, 17:50 (Ref:3646102)   #42
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is absolutley no way you could EVEr get 20000 people into Lydden, the most you could even park there is a few thousand. They ALWAYS over state the figures.

UNless there was parking elsewhere other than inside the venue you could never get that many people in there.

I have been to events at smaller venues than Lydden and the crowds were far bigger and you were talking 8 or 9000 people.

Dont believe the hype, there is enough of that codswallop already from IMG and Lydden
Old 31 May 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3646173)   #43
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
The field at the top was turned into a car park (which I've never seen before) and was pretty busy when we got there at half 8. Plus the parking immediately above paddock and the camp site. I'd be interested in hearing the official figure, in terms of cars, it was absolutely rammed.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 22:30 (Ref:3648805)   #44
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just uploaded a few pictures from Lydden. Few of my faves...

...few more shots here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57669591452305

For those of you who are interested!