Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Sep 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2539663)   #101
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Audi in BTCS
I think the A4 is tollerated (just looked at some pics, - they have belgianaudiclub.be stickers on the car) , but Audi didn't like the A3 in the second division as it is - quite frankly - pretty ugly. More or less an Opel Astra with an Audi grill.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2539701)   #102
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I think the A4 is tollerated (just looked at some pics, - they have belgianaudiclub.be stickers on the car) , but Audi didn't like the A3 in the second division as it is - quite frankly - pretty ugly. More or less an Opel Astra with an Audi grill.
I mean the A3.
The A4 has official backing.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2539713)   #103
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I mean the A3.
The A4 has official backing.
Doesn't that falsify your earlier statement about manufacturers not liking unauthorised silhouettes?
I think it's not necessarily a question about Europe or (Southern?)America, but more about the automarket conditions in the respective countries where the series run.

Germany is in a way a really bad example, as it is the home country of quite a number of automobile companies and a really big market. So the German market warrants full-fledged factory efforts and privateer efforts that make manufacturers look bad tend to do more harm than elsewhere.

In contrast, Belgium - or Denmark, for that matter - has no automobile manufacturers to speak of and the market for cars is also a lot smaller than in Germany, hence the importers can take the little money they have for racing activities and use it to support privateer teams.

In general, I think that Germany's strong position on the automotive market is more a curse than a blessing, as companies tend to take everything including racing very serious, whereas in smaller countries, there's more of a spirit of experimentation, enthusiams and "Open"-ness.

In a nutshell, I am not sure that manufacturers would inted try to stop the Danish from using their silhouettes. For the reasons I mentioned above, I think that V8STAR is really not a good example in that regard.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 02:28 (Ref:2541647)   #104
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do touring cars need aerodynamics? The current bodykits (on 2000cc) are mainly for show aren't they. They look ridiculous, maybe the 'stock' look like BTCC 1991-1994 is better?
Old 17 Sep 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2542783)   #105
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Do touring cars need aerodynamics? The current bodykits (on 2000cc) are mainly for show aren't they. They look ridiculous, maybe the 'stock' look like BTCC 1991-1994 is better?
You definitely need it when you are going for a tubeframe V8 approach. Not necessarily big rear wings, but a widebody-kit and a spoiler-lip are a good start.
Silhouette-cars are all about the spectacle. Remove the aero and the spectacle suffers.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2545147)   #106
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they ought to have some aero, it just is about a sensible aero level. The Super 2000 cars look OK for the cornering speed. The problem isn't the aero, it's the cost of spares.

However, if I was designing a set of rules from the ground up (well, these wouldn't be from the ground up as they would be based on another class) with 450hp and RWD (2.0 turbos, not V8s) I'd go for flat floors and wide bodies, but with large rear wings intended to be mainly for show.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2546975)   #107
moonman
Rookie

moonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the series need to be based on the most sold cars in Europe to get any big support from the manufacturers and it will all start from there. I doubt any siluette series will ever be sucessful.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2547453)   #108
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
What about a single make chassis powered by different big V8 stock engines from the USA?

Ford: Ford Mondeo or Volvo S40 body
Chevrolet: Chevrolet Cruze or Opel/Vauxhall Insignia body
Dodge: Dodge Avenger or Alfa Romeo 159 body
Toyota: Toyota Avensis body
Old 24 Sep 2009, 17:50 (Ref:2547455)   #109
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Depends what for, manufacturers probably wouldn't want to advertise big V8s at an international level (lack of relevance and the greenies). That's why I suggest two litre turbos.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2547463)   #110
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
I think the Danish V8 series isn't really interested in manufacturer support.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 22:43 (Ref:2547658)   #111
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
What about a single make chassis powered by different big V8 stock engines from the USA?

Well they would be very fast that's for sure, nothing wrong with stuffing a big V8 into a small car...

Old 3 Nov 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2575042)   #112
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
The V8 plans that the DTC organisation put forward earlier have been put on hold. The DTC organisation, with Peter Elgaard in front, is working closely with STCC for the future.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4181
Old 4 Nov 2009, 23:26 (Ref:2575986)   #113
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:

With 2.0 turbo that could be good.

Spec chassis could keep the costs down if done right.

It would be cheaper and better to watch then DTM!
Old 23 Jan 2017, 14:47 (Ref:3704490)   #114
Speed-King
Veteran

Looks like DTC really moved to V8 tube chassis eventually - and has been quite successful with that approach for a few years now.

Either way, the series is set for a minor shake up this year, as the organizers will make available two bodykits modeled after European cars for the new season:

Quote:
"As Chevrolet and Ford presented its new 2016 models, it came with updated design of the two sports cars, and this design has our US supplier also been developed for our race cars, so that this year we can come to experience the new generation of Camaro- and Mustang models, "says Peter Elgaard from DTC series.

"In parallel with the development work in the United States we have since the autumn conducted a development here at home. Davinci Development in Billund has been responsible for creating two new bodies on the basis of two European vehicle models, so that this year we can present a DTC field with seven different bodies. "
Source: https://racemag.dk/nye-karrosserier-daek-dtc-ntcc/ (might need to hit your browser's translate button to get the English version)

Any guesses what those new bodies will be?
Old 27 Jan 2017, 19:17 (Ref:3705625)   #115
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:

Looks like DTC really moved to V8 tube chassis eventually - and has been quite successful with that approach for a few years now.

Either way, the series is set for a minor shake up this year, as the organizers will make available two bodykits modeled after European cars for the new season:

Source: https://racemag.dk/nye-karrosserier-daek-dtc-ntcc/ (might need to hit your browser's translate button to get the English version)

Any guesses what those new bodies will be?
One part of me says keep the muscle car only bodykit. On the other hand it would be nice to have bodykits of Volvo S60, Opel Insignia, Ford Mondeo, Renault Talisman, etc.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3705665)   #116
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
One part of me says keep the muscle car only bodykit. On the other hand it would be nice to have bodykits of Volvo S60, Opel Insignia, Ford Mondeo, Renault Talisman, etc.
What would be really cool would be an Audi RS5 or something the like as a throwback to Audi's Trans-Am campaign in the 80s, but we know how closely Audi guards their intellectual property, so I really don't see a chance of that. If I had to guess, I'd say Insignia and Mondeo...
Old 1 Feb 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3708425)   #117
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peugeot has traditionally been in Danish motorsports, so I'd say one of the euro models is 508.
Old 3 Feb 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3709126)   #118
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Peugeot has traditionally been in Danish motorsports, so I'd say one of the euro models is 508.
I was also assuming Insignia and Mondeo but 508 could also for the reason you gave.
Old 10 Feb 2017, 09:41 (Ref:3711371)   #119
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Isn't that sounding a lot like the V8 STAR series from a while back? Not saying it's a bad thing - some of those cars looked great (and sounded great obviously).
Attached Thumbnails
v82003STAR33_pic.JPG   V8passat.jpg  
Old 14 Apr 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3726366)   #120
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
What would be really cool would be an Audi RS5 or something the like as a throwback to Audi's Trans-Am campaign in the 80s, but we know how closely Audi guards their intellectual property, so I really don't see a chance of that. If I had to guess, I'd say Insignia and Mondeo...
Guess what? It is an Audi and it's UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGLY: http://www.dtc-motorsport.dk/nyheder...r-nye-koerere/

Second one is a Mercedes. Haven't found any good stills of that one, but from this video it looks a lot better than the Audi:
http://www.dtc-motorsport.dk/nyheder...icki-petersen/
Old 14 Apr 2017, 19:20 (Ref:3726437)   #121
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Without more photos it's difficult to judge but tend to agree with you.
Old 21 Apr 2017, 17:36 (Ref:3728220)   #122
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
The ugly one carries no Audi branding and seems to be called "DTC Model 4". The other one is has MB logos and is named "Mercedes look-a-like".
Old 21 Apr 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3728263)   #123
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Does this DTMish nordic series have a BMW too?
Old 22 Apr 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3728382)   #124
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Does this DTMish nordic series have a BMW too?
If you mean the NEZ (FIA North European Zone) series, it's run under Swedish/Finnish regulations and hence only Camaro (Gen 5, Gen 6), Mustang (Gen 5, Gen 6) and Challenger (Gen 4) are allowed.