Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Feb 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3612852)   #1
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi says ... change!?

http://www.touringcartimes.com/2016/...s-regulations/

Quote:
“They are looking for a way to make Supercars survive. But they will not find new manufacturers that will build and develop engines for the formula [V8 Supercars] – the market is too small. I think if Australia was to adopt a GT3 sprint formula with a single driver [per car], it could be a very strong solution,” said Liebchen.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 00:56 (Ref:3612916)   #2
gravin
Rookie

gravin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been thinking the same about TCR - TCR in Australia might atract more Korean and Japanese manufacturers to add to the Euro teams.

Holden (Ford has a mustang) just need a hero car for GT3.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 01:08 (Ref:3612918)   #3
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravin View Post
I have been thinking the same about TCR - TCR in Australia might atract more Korean and Japanese manufacturers to add to the Euro teams.

Holden (Ford has a mustang) just need a hero car for GT3.
Like a carbon fibre Corvette?
http://jalopnik.com/callaways-corvet...ght-1735231828

How do the the DTM/ Super GT costs compare with GT3?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 02:16 (Ref:3612939)   #4
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let me get my crystal ball out....

- 3 years from now, Holden will be the only manufacturer left supporting the series, whilst the others will have a arms length associations
- Ratings, gate take and so on will start to drop because of one pony show
- Supercar management will announce that a merger will happen with AGT and GT3 rules will be adopted
- GT3 will not be accepted by the most common demographic that follows the sport
- someone will talk about a break-away series
- Roland Dane will sell off the remaining part of his team and never be investigated for insider trading whilst riding off into the sunset with his millions

If any of the above does happen, I prefer cash payment, thou I'd probably be under a table somewhere passed out from shock horror that I have some sort of fortune telling ability.......
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:04 (Ref:3612950)   #5
Compromised
Veteran

I agree with him that going forward Supercars won't really be viable but I'm not sure GT3, even in sprint format, is the answer.

Australian premier class is rapidly approaching a crossroad that may lead to it's triumph or utter failure. With no clear answer in sight, I'm starting to feel rather pessimistic.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:32 (Ref:3612961)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too, believe that GT3 is the way forward at this point.

You've only got to look at the amount of current V8SC teams that are getting involved in it, to see that they're feeling the same way.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:38 (Ref:3612964)   #7
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well GT3 in sprint format might be a problem because it's not as bullet proof as a touring car, and in sprint races you'll see appalling driving standard of drivers.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:46 (Ref:3612970)   #8
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We had that problem at Bathurst yesterday.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 03:48 (Ref:3612971)   #9
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You've only got to look at the amount of current V8SC teams that are getting involved in it, to see that they're feeling the same way.
They're just spreading their engineering costs
Old 8 Feb 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3613184)   #10
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
Let me get my crystal ball out....

- 3 years from now, Holden will be the only manufacturer left supporting the series, whilst the others will have a arms length associations
- Ratings, gate take and so on will start to drop because of one pony show
- Supercar management will announce that a merger will happen with AGT and GT3 rules will be adopted
- GT3 will not be accepted by the most common demographic that follows the sport
- someone will talk about a break-away series
- Roland Dane will sell off the remaining part of his team and never be investigated for insider trading whilst riding off into the sunset with his millions

If any of the above does happen, I prefer cash payment, thou I'd probably be under a table somewhere passed out from shock horror that I have some sort of fortune telling ability.......
I reckon you're on the money Deno, although a couple of these predictions are only paying $1.04.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3613211)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Blainpain sprint series up here is amazing.

On the other hand, they've just reduced the number of rounds from 7 to 5 which suggests not everything is quite so rosy on the organising front.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 22:48 (Ref:3613219)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
wow 14000 people turn up at the biggest GT3 race of the year and they want to change the world.

hardly ranks against an average v8 round. Townsville with no motorsport history and has been operating for less time draws 4 times the crowd

someones getting ahead of themself
Old 8 Feb 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3613221)   #13
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
wow 14000 people turn up at the biggest GT3 race of the year and they want to change the world.

hardly ranks against an average v8 round. Townsville with no motorsport history and has been operating for less time draws 4 times the crowd

only draws the crowd because of the bogan demographic.. what happens when there is no falcon or commodore??

wil mr smith from cootamundra still support holden and its Astra?? will mr Jones still support ford's mondeo?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 23:12 (Ref:3613223)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post
only draws the crowd because of the bogan demographic.. what happens when there is no falcon or commodore??

wil mr smith from cootamundra still support holden and its Astra?? will mr Jones still support ford's mondeo?
there is no motorsport without the bogan demographic, anyone who says different is in self denial

Ford fans supported the ford sierra, bathurst 1000 still drew bigger crowds that the pinicle of gt3 racing in australia.

however there are unknowns regarding the future of v8 supercars in australia, that cant be denied, But Gt3 is far from proving to be the answer
Old 9 Feb 2016, 00:16 (Ref:3613240)   #15
Compromised
Veteran

No real crowds have ever showed up to sports sedan and yet, semantics aside, that's basically what the premier class is today.

It's a logical fallacy to effectively say that until another categories crowd numbers rival supercars they can't be the premier series. Supercars are top dog because of the top drivers and top teams they boast, plus coverage, history etc, not because the "Supercars" class itself is just so inherently popular.

If the supercars teams and drivers switched to GT3 next season, I can see crowd numbers being much the same.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 00:29 (Ref:3613242)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
No real crowds have ever showed up to sports sedan and yet, semantics aside, that's basically what the premier class is today.

It's a logical fallacy to effectively say that until another categories crowd numbers rival supercars they can't be the premier series. Supercars are top dog because of the top drivers and top teams they boast, plus coverage, history etc, not because the "Supercars" class itself is just so inherently popular.

If the supercars teams and drivers switched to GT3 next season, I can see crowd numbers being much the same.
You must have good eye, because i cant see that at all.

All i see is some blind vague hope by a minority

GT3 in australia does not have a plan to take over, That's just fanboi talk. Its rules have been recently set to ensure this doesnt happen
Old 9 Feb 2016, 01:33 (Ref:3613252)   #17
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I reckon you're on the money Deno, although a couple of these predictions are only paying $1.04.
$1.04 better than nothing....

In all honestly, we're going back into that washing machine period where we had V8SC and 2litres getting around, no body knew which way to go, before one obviously died.

In this case, we have a category whom has almost written it's own death certificate, whilst the other one has quietly been doing its own thing for years now and in a position to move up.....
Old 9 Feb 2016, 01:52 (Ref:3613256)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How is Audi going with its diesel engine recall? Found a technical solution to polluting the environment & allegedly manipulating the results of government fuel economy tests yet? Compensated customers yet?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Feb 2016, 02:10 (Ref:3613259)   #19
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
You must have good eye, because i cant see that at all.

All i see is some blind vague hope by a minority

GT3 in australia does not have a plan to take over, That's just fanboi talk. Its rules have been recently set to ensure this doesnt happen
Don't get me wrong, I don't really think GT3 is the way to go either but that wasn't really my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
How is Audi going with its diesel engine recall? Found a technical solution to polluting the environment & allegedly manipulating the results of government fuel economy tests yet? Compensated customers yet?
Nice ad hominem.

Would you have still posted this if Audi had come out and said Gen2 is the go? Hell our beloved Gen2 mastermind is a international pub fighter - the bar for being able to advise Supercars is already quite low..
Old 9 Feb 2016, 02:30 (Ref:3613262)   #20
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Geez the anti V8SC sentiment got a good bite here.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 02:32 (Ref:3613263)   #21
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
"Who cares?" is what the majority of owners of the affected vehicles have said.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 04:00 (Ref:3613280)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Geez the anti V8SC sentiment got a good bite here.
Audi's commitment to motorsport here isn't a patch on the support that Holden and to a lesser extent Ford have offered over the last 40+ years.

There is a genuine credibility issue when someone from the outside makes comment about something they aren't/would not be committed to anyway

Nissan for example, making the same noises, has arguably more credibility if the comments were to come from them, as they have been in the sport here for dozens of years, and perhaps especially when the regulations did not suit the product they put on the race track.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 04:05 (Ref:3613281)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
"Who cares?" is what the majority of owners of the affected vehicles have said.
The US Government anti-trust investigators clearly do not agree...
Old 9 Feb 2016, 04:34 (Ref:3613283)   #24
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Someone is getting ahead of themself? Much like your signature?

"How dare V8 Supercars try and introduce crowds to the 12 Hour"
Old 9 Feb 2016, 04:47 (Ref:3613286)   #25
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Someone is getting ahead of themself? Much like your signature?

"How dare V8 Supercars try and introduce crowds to the 12 Hour"
Nice ad hominem.

How was that any more than attacking the poster.

Guess my comment was correct and you have no argument with it

However even in your immature trolling comment you still haven't worked out that "Try to introduce crowds to the 12 hour" is not getting ahead of its self as that is what they are trying to do. Future crowd of 20,000