Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 May 2003, 08:31 (Ref:610198)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans Weather?

OK. You know that I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to the weather for Le Mans week (and the race, primarily). I always tell everyone to bring their suncream and sunhats, but what is it going to be like? Is it too soon for long-range forecasts? What do those who are lucky enough to live in/near Le Mans think we're going to get?
Old 26 May 2003, 13:05 (Ref:610411)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Last year I predicted that it was going to be clear all the way through, as Audi would need should they want to go for the overall post-Mulsanne-chicane distance. It was, they did, they got it (but not the corresponding speed - as they took too long by a few minutes!)

This year Aud- err, Bentley - need clear weather so that their cockpits don't fog up. They won't get it, full time, though.

My feeling is cloudy evening leading into medium rain for a number of hours, and a sodden sun at dawn leading to humid conditions Sunday afternoon.

How's that for specifics?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 26 May 2003, 13:44 (Ref:610449)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not quite what I wanted to hear Paul......
Old 26 May 2003, 14:12 (Ref:610476)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
We'll have a wonderful week... this week !

But it's much too far beyond to say what we'll have for THE week... I mean the 24th of the year...
Old 26 May 2003, 14:18 (Ref:610483)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, but it was a bit wet for the Moto GP yesterday, from what I understand......

Hopefully the weather will be a little better in 19 days time......
Old 26 May 2003, 14:26 (Ref:610493)   #6
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It will be glorious, no question!
Old 26 May 2003, 15:14 (Ref:610524)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Yes, but it was a bit wet for the Moto GP yesterday, from what I understand.
It was indeed ! The weather turned nice today, and we'll have a glorious sunny week for the bank holiday coming from thursday to sunday... programm : the beach, and the circuit on monday to get the places ! Oh boy !
Old 26 May 2003, 15:43 (Ref:610547)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Not quite what I wanted to hear Paul......
Well, I'm not really a seer. I just make this stuff up.

Nevertheless, it's what I predict. I won't mind a bit if I'm wrong, for your sake...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 26 May 2003, 16:02 (Ref:610576)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
It will be glorious, no question!

Good man!

Less of the doom and gloom, guys......
Old 27 May 2003, 07:02 (Ref:611141)   #10
Chevyguy
Racer

Chevyguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm all about a rain soaked Le Mans, adds spice to the race. 2001, however, was rather ridiculous. If it does get a short shower, it could really shake things up, but then dry up and run for it, awesome. Rain would be very bad for the teams with underdeveloped cars, like Prodrive, who haven't had a chance to really test out the wet campatibility. Hope I didn't offend those who are going, but as I will be safe and dry in house, it really wouldn't bother me.

"No matter where you go, there you are"-Pigkiller
Old 27 May 2003, 11:59 (Ref:611344)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
A short and very sharp shower could be fun, as long as it's timed for when I'm under cover......
Old 27 May 2003, 12:17 (Ref:611366)   #12
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, but please, a SHORT one...., just 10 minutes, not 16 hours like 2001....
Old 27 May 2003, 14:39 (Ref:611513)   #13
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
A short and very sharp shower could be fun, as long as it's timed for when I'm under cover......
Let's say when I'M under cover : during the night ? And see the whole VAG group in the gravel traps at dawn ? Just kidding...
Old 27 May 2003, 20:41 (Ref:611790)   #14
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope for a long hot weekend, starting on the Wednesday. Although a small rain shower about 2pm Thursday and Saturday to damp the dust down will be fine.

Again a small drizzle and thunderstorm looking clouds around 2pm on Sunday to add a spice to the last hours (Remember Ickx's chase and Rondous's win He was closing at 30s a lap or so at the end after a wrong change to slicks)

Simon
Old 29 May 2003, 07:58 (Ref:613202)   #15
the_fury
Rookie

the_fury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what it's doing at the mo:

http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/FRXX0048?y=9&x=8

doesn't look to healthy...

it's gotta be sunny! 2001 was fun but you can't beat getting totally lobstered up in the sun!
Old 29 May 2003, 08:28 (Ref:613220)   #16
Bentley Beermon
Racer

England
Sheffield
Bentley Beermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is like it was at pre qual that will be just fine by me. It can't be like it was in 2001 can it :confused: That was the worst it had been since the seventies I believe, so we must be due a good one If it has to rain let it rain on Saturday so the tents can dry out PLEASE
Old 29 May 2003, 12:15 (Ref:613454)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'd like the weather we have in the UK (down south) today. Very nice indeed!
Old 29 May 2003, 17:49 (Ref:613902)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'd like the weather we have in the UK (down south) today. Very nice indeed!
Let's hope so
Old 29 May 2003, 22:18 (Ref:614156)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it'll rain. I have no idea why, but you'd better hope i'm wrong. I have the same feeling about Goodwood FoS.... It's gonna be a tropical monsoon there....
Old 29 May 2003, 22:29 (Ref:614165)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope that you have comfortable, but sunny weather..not too hot or humid...racing engines don't like hot humid weather...

Nobody likes to sit in the rain for hours, and yes, 2001 looked absurd on the TV....I thought Noah was going to win..but he wasn't piloting an Audi...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 29 May 2003, 22:51 (Ref:614184)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year when we arrived we had a hurricane of cold, wet, horrible proportions that lasted two days. Then it warmed up and by the time the race came round the weather was well nigh perfect.

Warm days and cool nights would suit me, without any rain at all. 2001 was billed as the coldest, wettest Le Mans in living memory, and if I hadn't spent most of my time in the paddock, I would have been miserable. As it was, I was only sometimes miserable. And I could take comfort in the fact that the poor guys in the cars were a lot more miserable than I was!
Old 30 May 2003, 06:03 (Ref:614363)   #22
Bob C.
Rookie

Bob C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weather?

In the three years I've gone:

2000: Unbelievably hot all week. Never a cloud in the sky.
2001: Sun for the first 10 minutes of the race and for the first 10 minutes after Sunday's sunrise. Rain during darn near all of the other 1,420 minutes.
2002: Perfection from start to finish.
2003: Planning for everything.

Once the race starts, however, the weather fades into the background. I don't recall being miserable through the heat of 2000; I just recall Audi's domination and Mario's last try. I don't recall being miserable through the rain of 2001; I just recall the beauty of the Bentleys and the perseverance of the crowd.
Old 30 May 2003, 07:10 (Ref:614409)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Re: Weather?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob C.
I don't recall being miserable through the rain of 2001;

Funnily enough Bob, nor do I - although I did get completely drowned at about 6 pm on the Saturday! Strangely, I remember the rain of 1995 more than 2001, even though it was nowhere hear as bad.
Old 30 May 2003, 07:53 (Ref:614448)   #24
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The rain bad as it was strangely made it fun for a while. The heat in 2000 was almost harder to cope with. We took to having bottles of beer with a water chaser that year to stop the dehydration.
Old 30 May 2003, 07:54 (Ref:614451)   #25
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understood that on average it was a 5 year cycle as far as rain went. Look back over the last 10 years or so.
1992 - Rained
1995 - Rained
2001 - Rained

Before anyone whinges I know it rained in 1997 & 1998 but that was during the week not the race itself.