Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Apr 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3817376)   #1026
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It surprises me more than somewhat that many of my local hospital nurses and some consultants/surgeons seem to have great difficulty inserting cannulas, yet the phlebotomists both at my GPs and in the hospital make it seem so easy.

One one procedure that I had about two years ago the cardiologists (3 of them) spent about an hour trying to insert a cannula into my wrist, and after about 30 goes (and the resulting puncture marks) they had to give up and inserted in my groin. They then found out that the cannula, that the nurse on the ward prior to going down to the path. lab, had inserted into the crook of my arm wasn't actually in a blood vessel so they had to stick another one into my groin area.

At least it keeps the NHS busy.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 18:41 (Ref:3817380)   #1027
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Tut tut Tim, And you are a moderator. Naive."i think"
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Blimey now I've seen everything.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Ditto.

Tim,

I had an angiogram a few weeks ago and they told me to shave myself in case they couldn't fit the catheter or whatever through my arm. Anyway I was just soaping up when the nurse suggested I was shaving the wrong end!

They fitted it through my arm and after 15 mins of trying not to look at the tv screens I was released. Thankfully all clear.

My BP is usually 130/80 but it went up to 145/90. I was told this was normal when stressed.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 18:43 (Ref:3817382)   #1028
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Well I may have been being a bit harsh, she did get the needle in OK and blood flowed but I suspect my vein may have protested as it stooped suddenly. later on, another nurse tried the other arm with success first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ditto.

Tim,

I had an angiogram a few weeks ago and they told me to shave myself in case they couldn't fit the catheter or whatever through my arm. Anyway I was just soaping up when the nurse suggested I was shaving the wrong end!

They fitted it through my arm and after 15 mins of trying not to look at the tv screens I was released. Thankfully all clear.

My BP is usually 130/80 but it went up to 145/90. I was told this was normal when stressed.
Mine's normally 120/80ish or around 150/90 without meds but this being so low was quite scary, not only for me. Good to hear you are all OK.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 18:45 (Ref:3817383)   #1029
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah I get that sometimes. I'm a fast bleeder or i was whem i donat3d.blood but sometimes they had two or three attempts at the vein.
Old 27 Apr 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3817788)   #1030
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
All this talk of blood pressure and puncturing of various bits of anatomy is a little apposite, as due to a degree of senile incompetence I'd got it firmly in my head that last year's medical was on 16th April, so as I'm due to be out racing next weekend, I thought I's better get my licence application in over two weeks ago to give me plenty of time whilst still availaing myself of the twelve month validity of my last medical......at which point I discovered I'd got it wrong and my last one was 6th of April....and I'd missed the cut-off

So next available appointment for a fresh medical was yesterday....which duly went OK, and I bimbled off to get the form into the post at the main sorting office a few miles away, to catch the last collection......and as time was tight I paid the MSA's idiot tax to get express 3-day handling.

So this morning at 11.02 I get an email telling me my application has been received. Then at 13.10 I get another email advising that as I'd paid for express handling my licence had been printed and would be dispatched today......and another email confirming that my licence had been processed and giving "To Whom it May Concern" confirmation that I could compete this weekend if needed without paying any "no-licence" penalty....

Pretty impressive performance from Royal Mail and MSA, huh?

Assuming my actual licence arrives before next weekend.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 06:35 (Ref:3817833)   #1031
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’ve said it before, but in my experience the licensing department works well. It’s the area that deals with technical regulations who more often than not attract criticism......
Old 28 Apr 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3817850)   #1032
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cannularing was different in my day ...... or was that canoodling?
Old 28 Apr 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3817873)   #1033
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I gave up blood donoring after a particularly bad experience with the ‘insertion’. My forearm was black for a while afterwards....

BTW good to see the odd amateur mistake in F1. As the cars were on the first lap of FP yesterday a role of duck tape fell onto the track from one of them..... A fleet footed marshal rescued it, fortunately, although by then it had caused race control to declare ‘debris on track’!
Old 28 Apr 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3817876)   #1034
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I gave up blood donoring after a particularly bad experience with the ‘insertion’. My forearm was black for a while afterwards....

BTW good to see the odd amateur mistake in F1. As the cars were on the first lap of FP yesterday a role of duck tape fell onto the track from one of them..... A fleet footed marshal rescued it, fortunately, although by then it had caused race control to declare ‘debris on track’!
Marshals retrieving something that's fallen off a car reminds me of an incident I saw at a Touring Car race at Shah Alam Circuit in Malaysia a few years ago. A BMW M3 came down to the last corner & onto the pits straight, clearly over-revving the engine on the down-changes. As he accelerated out of the corner, the engine sounded very rough, there was a clatter from the car and as he rolled off onto the side of the circuit a con-rod fell out from under the car. A quick thinking marshal sprinted over and picked it up before another vehicle arrived. He obviously didn't realise how hot engine components can get because as soon as he picked it up he looked like he was auditioning for the South East Asian Con Rod Juggling Championships!
Old 28 Apr 2018, 15:42 (Ref:3817911)   #1035
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This was at Mallory for shakedown testing last Tuesday.

There were some discussions about its visual appeal.
Attached Thumbnails
1280px_AstonRHAM_MalloryTest_18-04-24_ONED2536.jpg   1280px_AstonRHAM_MalloryTest_18-04-24_ONED2542.jpg  
Old 28 Apr 2018, 19:05 (Ref:3817930)   #1036
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is that one of the Le Mans cars?

Old 28 Apr 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3817936)   #1037
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, it is. The ‘ Robin Hamilton Aston Martin / 1’

Likely testing for Le Mans Classic?
Old 28 Apr 2018, 21:34 (Ref:3817951)   #1038
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, it is. The ‘ Robin Hamilton Aston Martin / 1’

Likely testing for Le Mans Classic?
One version of it.

The photos here are another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_RHAM/1
Old 29 Apr 2018, 05:29 (Ref:3817991)   #1039
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
One version of it.
The 'red' version appears to be the earlier 1977 bodywork....

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type...n/AM%20V8.html
Old 29 Apr 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3818017)   #1040
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
The 'red' version appears to be the earlier 1977 bodywork....

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type...n/AM%20V8.html
Yep. Created with SAS sponsorship livery and a N/A engine. Non-lowered roof line as well.

Just slightly odd that the Wiki item does not illustrate the significant difference in design over the years.

If the car was at some point sold to Marsh Plant (per the Wiki page) was it perhaps the origin of the well known blue Marsh Plant Aston? Maybe the concept if not the car.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 10:35 (Ref:3818042)   #1041
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Certainly reminded me of the ‘Marsh Plant’ Aston....

On a different subject, with car manufacturers rushing to embrace alternative fuel technology, latest news this morning suggests we will soon be seeing a..... Hybrid Elephant! No suggestion yet of whether it will be a full hybrid with battery pack, whether plug in or not, or if a 48 volt mild hybrid with integrated generator/charger......

Interesting times!
Old 29 Apr 2018, 15:43 (Ref:3818148)   #1042
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Certainly reminded me of the ‘Marsh Plant’ Aston....

On a different subject, with car manufacturers rushing to embrace alternative fuel technology, latest news this morning suggests we will soon be seeing a..... Hybrid Elephant! No suggestion yet of whether it will be a full hybrid with battery pack, whether plug in or not, or if a 48 volt mild hybrid with integrated generator/charger......

Interesting times!

Tusk, tusk.

A somewhat unusual way of attempting to defeat poachers, not too far removed from simply letting the creatures disappear since the change of genetic makeup must be tantamount terminal bio-engineering.

Would it not be better to simply eliminate the poachers, animals being, in many people's minds, so much more important than humans. And humans being very easy to replace.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 16:04 (Ref:3818154)   #1043
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Animals per se are more important since we sensible people need them for food. But shooting them for their tusks or other bits is despicable.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 16:07 (Ref:3818155)   #1044
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Tusk, tusk.
Would it not be better to simply eliminate the poachers,
Yes, more effort to stop the poaching should be first priority....

And if anyone wonders what the heck I was talking about before, the possibility of changing the genetic makeup of the Elephant is being investigated, the idea being to engineer a ‘tuskless’ version, which would be worthless to ivory poachers. But if you research, There are many that believe it’s already happening by natural selection, due to the poaching.....
Old 29 Apr 2018, 20:39 (Ref:3818226)   #1045
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thank you for the clarification Mike. I can keep up with most ramblings here but was at sea over this one

Old 29 Apr 2018, 21:09 (Ref:3818230)   #1046
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, more effort to stop the poaching should be first priority....

And if anyone wonders what the heck I was talking about before, the possibility of changing the genetic makeup of the Elephant is being investigated, the idea being to engineer a ‘tuskless’ version, which would be worthless to ivory poachers. But if you research, There are many that believe it’s already happening by natural selection, due to the poaching.....
The poaching problem has, of course, been around for a very long time although I would imagine that population growth and the growing interest in Safari holidays by ever more affluent and effluent "First World" populations latterly followed by the Chinese affluence, worldwide annexation and predilection for Ivory knick-knacks along with various other parts of rare animals has probably upped the pressure.

A few weeks ago I caught sight of a WWF puff piece video about how they, WWF, were battling the poachers using drones.

So WWF invest in technology to fly drones over wildlife parks and that, successfully they claim, sees poaching reduced where they are flying the drones.

Or rather, displaced to somewhere else.

One of the chaps being interviewed bemoaned the fact that they can direct teams of rangers very precisely and quickly to where poachers have been spotted but rarely does this result in the arrest of any poachers.

His assumption was that as the poachers and rangers may well come from the same communities and the Rangers are paid very little but the poachers have (relatively) plenty of cash to hand hand out, there is an imbalance in the market place that the drones cannot yet correct.

It occurred to me as I watched that the WWF charity money that was being spent on first world drone technology, mobile commend vehicles and, presumably, the salaries of the seemingly white middle class drone operations team may or may not be effectively allocated towards securing a long term "solution" to the problem.

But then irrespective of the Ivory question with African Population growth (human) forecast to be around 2 billion in the next 80 years poaching is probably not the only solution that African Wildlife and its habitat is in need of.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 21:18 (Ref:3818234)   #1047
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just to further commend MSA Licencing department, when I got back from the superb Anglesey Circuit yesterday where I'd been to watch the Alfa Romeo Championship Association racing.....

My shiny new licence was awaiting me......
Old 30 Apr 2018, 09:08 (Ref:3818311)   #1048
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Just to further commend MSA Licencing department, when I got back from the superb Anglesey Circuit yesterday where I'd been to watch the Alfa Romeo Championship Association racing.....

My shiny new licence was awaiting me......
Is Ian Brookfield still racing in ARCA, also Matt Daley?

Old friends & near neighbours but I'm a bit out of touch. Ian used to look after my Alfasud's. Nobody knows more than him about 'Suds.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3818363)   #1049
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Marcus Pye Article last week.

Did anyone read Marcus article last week in Autosport. I think he hit home very well on small grids and I was very surprised what he said about less competition licences being issued.I have just come back from Zandvoort where there were two very small single seater grids.
Old 30 Apr 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3818370)   #1050
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Monsieur Jean des Hauts de France, did you pay a visit to Croix last weekend? It seems that at least two HTCC competitors gave up the second race due to race control decisions during round 1. I've been told they both were black flagged because the driver window was slightly winded down…