Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 12 Dec 2003, 12:25 (Ref:810081)   #1
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil Shanaghan

Killed in a FFord race at Oulton Park on the run to Druids a few years back.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 12:36 (Ref:810092)   #2
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Always sad to lose promising young drivers this way.
Old 12 Dec 2003, 14:00 (Ref:810194)   #3
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean Neil Shanahan, Oversteer.

I was at Lodge that day with Chris and his mum and brother. I remember Chris's mum being shocked at the state of the car coming past on a flatbed - it was her first big race meeting, and she said she hoped the driver was OK - and me reassuring her that these cars were frequently involved in accidents and that it was very rare that anyone was hurt.

It was a terrible shock to see the news on Teletext and the web that evening.

RIP Neil.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 11:54 (Ref:831430)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Neil's accident was actually on the approach to "Clay Hill" at Oulton, just after the Knickerbrook right-hander.
I know several marshals who attended the incident and were affected in a really bad way.
A small bouquet of flowers and a photo of Neil (Albeit now faded)are still behind the armco where he died.

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 8 Jan 2004 at 11:57.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 16:08 (Ref:867178)   #5
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was on the bank above nickerbrook that day, wasnt pleasent at all, especially as a wee nipper i was at the time.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 18:43 (Ref:876070)   #6
Ron Doe
Rookie

Ron Doe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neil,
Miss you mate...
Old 18 Feb 2004, 09:47 (Ref:878075)   #7
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a wee nipper back then too. I was based in the VIP club which overlooked that exact bit of the circuit. Thankfully something inside had told me to watch the FFord race from round at Cascades tho so I never saw the incident. I still think about Neil everytime I go to Oulton. He had such a future ahead of him, who knows were he would have been now...pass Ayrton once around the outside mate! RIP Neil

Last edited by Gaz; 18 Feb 2004 at 09:48.
Old 29 Dec 2004, 14:32 (Ref:1189383)   #8
Top Gear
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Top Gear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there at Oulton that day with my dad and we seen the chopper come to take Neil to hospital cause we were at the first corner (old Hall). I remember seeing Neil in the paddock before that race and he had an Irish flag on his helmet cause my mums irish we planned to look out for him in the race.
It was sad hearing the news that he had died on the radio on the way home.I still think about it when we go to Oulton each year.
Old 24 Apr 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1593777)   #9
cath2976
Rookie

Wales
Rhyl
cath2976 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clay Hill.

Hi My name is Catherine Williams Nee Lindsay, I was the first first aider on seen that day, As my first big incerdent it was very tramatic & I still remember now, But I would like to say that all though I am not a medical expert Neil would not of known a thing. he was unconssion before his car stopped moving.I got there in seconds & could not do a thing.I do not regrette being there & I am glad of meet him allbe it in very sad circamstances. I learn a great deal that day. So thank you Neil.
All my love Cath xxxx RIP.
if anyone wants to contact me that is fine.

Last edited by Chris Y; 2 Jun 2006 at 08:57.
Old 5 May 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1601357)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mods... any chance we could change the spelling on the title of this thread so that Neil's lastname is correct ? It just doesn't feel right having it mispelt here of all places. Thanks, David.
Old 8 May 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1603462)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Apologies, I thought I had already corrected it. Now done.

RIP Neil
Old 31 May 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1623855)   #12
cath2976
Rookie

Wales
Rhyl
cath2976 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi I am just calling in to say hi to all those of you who where at clay hill on this day 7 years ago. My love is with you all.

Last edited by Chris Y; 2 Jun 2006 at 08:58.
Old 31 May 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1624045)   #13
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was the second or third marshal to arrive at the scene on that fateful day. I was cooling the engine with a foam extinguisher as the rescue crew lifted Neil from the car. I can remember thinking that he looked peaceful. It is a day that I will never forget. RIP.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 31 May 2006, 19:40 (Ref:1624090)   #14
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Possibly one of the most talented racing drivers ever to emerge from Ireland. What a terrible loss. RIP Neil.
Old 31 May 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1624203)   #15
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great driver and a great bloke sadly missed. RIP.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1643186)   #16
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless I am very much mistaken, today would be Neil's birthday
Old 3 Feb 2008, 01:18 (Ref:2119429)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I too was there at Oulton Park that day.

I watched from between Knickerbrook and Fosters corner, so sadly I witnessed the tragic accident that occurred.

Something I will never forget...

Rest in Peace Neil.
Old 3 Feb 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2119582)   #18
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard the news of Neil's passing driving into work on the following Monday morning...I got such a shock.

I have been attending Mondello Park in Ireland as a young kid since 1982 and always took a great interest in spotting drivers that were obviously that bit special, clearly better than their peers. Only a handfull of drivers stood out in such a way over that long period of time and Neil was without doubt one of them.

Anytime I saw him interviewed he was so assured and confident - confident in a good way, not over confident if you know what I mean - and was adamant that he wanted to go to Formula 1. It was good to see a fellow redhead (ginger to you UK folk) doing the business! He was such a class act on the track too.

Even now, myself and my wife could be talking about drivers who have died over the time we have been following the sport (Senna and Joey Dunlop come up a lot - you would think those guys were invincible) and we still always remember Neil.

I am privileged to have seen him race so often here in Ireland and he was destined for great things.

RIP Neil
Old 10 Jun 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2708574)   #19
edington Mains
Rookie

edington Mains should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to re awaken this thread on a date just between the 11th anniversary of his passing and his birthday...

I spent last weekend at the BTCC with Neils former manager and he was all to aware of the date and the relevance and it was quite emotional to sit and chat with him in the Ginnetta tent overlooking the spot where Neil had crashed...
wont go into too many details but it seems theres still a frailty in the heart for Neil still held by the many that came into contact with him...and it seems he was on the edge of something bigger, funding had been put in place and the infrastructure was being built to help push him all the way.

RIP Neil