Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 15 Mar 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1252339)   #1
Zagato
Rookie

Zagato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dumbrek Flip at Le Mans

Where did Dumbrek flip at Le Mans, On the Mulsanne straight before Mulsanne corner or before Indianapolis? I thought the former and that Webbers practice incidents were between Mulsanne and Indianapolis.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1252347)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato
Where did Dumbrek flip at Le Mans, On the Mulsanne straight before Mulsanne corner or before Indianapolis? I thought the former and that Webbers practice incidents were between Mulsanne and Indianapolis.
Mark Webber "took off" during Thursday evenings session on the run from Mulsanne to Indianapolis and on the Mulsanne straight during Saturday's warm up. The Peter Dumbreck incident took place on the run from Mulsanne to Indianapolis.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1252381)   #3
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Dumbreck's flip

As said above the Dumbreck flip was on the run from Mulsanne to Indianapolis, in fact a small hump at this point is being flattened in time for this years race (pictures on on dailysportscar.com).

Didn't at least one car have a similar incident in pre-qualifying that year as well? Possibly one of the BMW LMP's. I seem to remember it was rumoured rather than definite, but one car did suffer a lot of damage from an accident on Mulsanne somewhere.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1252390)   #4
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh
.........Didn't at least one car have a similar incident in pre-qualifying that year as well? Possibly one of the BMW LMP's. I seem to remember it was rumoured rather than definite, but one car did suffer a lot of damage from an accident on Mulsanne somewhere.
I don't remember the incident. I remember BMW ran three cars at PQ's that year but only two appeared for the race itself. Could this have something to do with it?
Old 15 Mar 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1252402)   #5
Zagato
Rookie

Zagato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The test incident was Webber in the Mercedes at one of the mulsanne chicanes. My abiding memory of that test weekend was the sense of shoch in the Mercedes team after the test finished on Sunday. Problems for Webber and blitzed not only by Toyota but Panoz as well.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1252404)   #6
clkgtrlm1
Rookie

England
Woodstock, Oxford, England
clkgtrlm1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clk Mpeg

Zagato,

I still have this somewhere on MPEG - PM me your E-mail
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1252908)   #7
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I don't remember the incident. I remember BMW ran three cars at PQ's that year but only two appeared for the race itself. Could this have something to do with it?
Dalmas had an accident on n°16 car which was seriously damaged. The team decided to concentrate on the n°15 and 17.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1253137)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I thought the Dalmas 'flip' was at Road Atlanta.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1253208)   #9
Laurent
Rookie

France
20 km away from Paris (France)
Laurent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dalmas was on the #15 car during the prequals. He had a big crash (losing the rear wing) but he didn't flip. At the end of the day, BMW decided to concentrate on two cars, retiring the #16 Art Car...
Old 16 Mar 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1253367)   #10
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
I thought the Dalmas 'flip' was at Road Atlanta.
It was in 1998 with the Porsche GT1-98 wasn't it/
Old 16 Mar 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1253400)   #11
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
He had some kind of a flip in the Goh Audi a few years back .
Old 16 Mar 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1253414)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
He had some kind of a flip in the Goh Audi a few years back .
...as well as flipping a Peugeot 905 Evo1 Bis at Monza in 1992
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1253653)   #13
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
...as well as flipping a Peugeot 905 Evo1 Bis at Monza in 1992
The turn over of the Peugeot at Monza wasn't caused by aerodynamics. The pilot missed the brake point before one of the chicanes and the car somersaulted as it got in the gravel trap.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1253657)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
The turn over of the Peugeot at Monza wasn't caused by aerodynamics. The pilot missed the brake point before one of the chicanes and the car somersaulted as it got in the gravel trap.
I never said it was - I just said he had flipped a Peugeot as well.

And, yes, I know exactly how it happened, considering I have the live TV footage of it

Last edited by rustyfan; 16 Mar 2005 at 19:30.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1253667)   #15
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by iucrmh
It was in 1998 with the Porsche GT1-98 wasn't it/
Yes, the Porsche GT1 of Dalmas and a BMW V12 LMR (1999, Muller ?) took off at exactly the same point !
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1253669)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
1999, Muller ?
Bill Auberlen ?
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1253670)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm pretty sure it was Bill Auberlen in the BMW at Petit 1999. I have footage of the two Petit incidents and the Dumbreck flip.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1253671)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think it was Auberlen who flipped the BMW, but I could be wrong.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1253686)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Bill Auberlen had his flip in 2000.

Brett Parker, driving a Viper, flipped as well during the same race (assisted by going backwards into a tire-wall though). Overall that edition of Petit Le Mans was pretty crazy - lots of wrecks and incidents.

Last edited by rustyfan; 16 Mar 2005 at 19:58.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1253769)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Didn't Win Percy and John Nielson do much the same thing in the Jaguar and Sauber respectively a few years before.

As for poor Webber, after he'd done it the first time they sent him out to get his confidence back and he did it again. IIRC he was absolved of any blame, but only after Dumbreck did it.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1253782)   #21
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
There are a series of scans from Nielsen's accident available here:

http://users.pandora.be/aerogi/Racin...ns_Nielsen.htm

Webber and Dumbreck have nothing on Nielsen - the altitude he 'achieved' is simply insane.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 22:23 (Ref:1253784)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And he landed on his wheels. Didn't help, but full marks for trying.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1254291)   #23
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber in the 1999 Le Mans morning warmup:

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 17 Mar 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1254486)   #24
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yannick Dalmas seems to have had more than his fair share of scrapes really! Wonder what it's like looking at the sky more than the track hehe
Old 17 Mar 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1254488)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was workin closely to someone who was repoortin on the Le Mans race that year and he gave me quite an insight into te Mercedes flip.
Wat a lot of people dont know is that Nick Heidfeld had nearlyhad a flip too but backed out of the throtlein the nick of time.
The sad part about this is that the team were very aware of the problem and were put under pressure b the board to race I think.
The tried to combat te problem by fitting some nonc winglets and stuff but the problem was inherent with tat design.
Can you imagine how te drivers flet having to get into the cockpit of a car tat was inheretnyl unstable at over 200 mph. ou might expect i from someone like WM or a private team, ut no Mercedes Benz!!