Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Nov 2008, 20:32 (Ref:2343517)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone Festival 09

With the obvious increase in entry fees throughout Europe what races should be held at Silverstone Classic and what levels should the entry fees be.Obviously FJ's will pay more and with Masters in charge of some other catagories what will happen to the meeting as a whole?

Last edited by John Turner; 4 Jan 2009 at 09:54.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2343759)   #2
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the participation of FJ may be in doubt - not that FJ do not want to go but the organisers may not want them (more fool them!).
Old 29 Nov 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2343818)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Its all money(or lack of it).
The reason I started the thread.Costs are going up and where does that leave meetings such as Silverstone.We are already seeing threads on various meetings and they usually finish by talking costs.
FJ should be at Silverstone as should Pre War but will it become a Masters outing with perhaps a few of those odd Porsche races thrown in(although Porsche will not have to much money by mid year)
Old 29 Nov 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2343834)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FJ should be given a grid and lets hope that Masters do take it on!
Old 29 Nov 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2343866)   #5
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Its all money(or lack of it).
The reason I started the thread.Costs are going up and where does that leave meetings such as Silverstone.We are already seeing threads on various meetings and they usually finish by talking costs.
FJ should be at Silverstone as should Pre War but will it become a Masters outing with perhaps a few of those odd Porsche races thrown in(although Porsche will not have to much money by mid year)
I've seen an early version of the timetable and it looks really great. Be patient....
Old 29 Nov 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2343874)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Why should the Masters take it all on.It was very good last year with the mix and lets hope it stays the same with most of the UK Historic Organisers doing there bit including Masters,Legends,FJ,HSCC etc.To say that Ron and his mates should run it all is nonsence.It is quite acceptable they take major share as they are the UK's biggest commercial organiser .If that rule applies to Silverstone assume the thinking is that it should apply to the sacred cow meeting Spa 6 hrs.
No way for either.

The question is Roger will the provisional timetable hold with the cost implications?
Old 29 Nov 2008, 16:59 (Ref:2343890)   #7
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what I saw, Masters will be doing about the same or slightly less than they did in 2008.

A few weeks and months back everyone was saying the crisis wasn't affecting them and they would do the same or more in 2009 than they did in 2008. Most people have woken up to the fact that this is more serious and has more impact than first thought. So I doubt your question can be answered JR until entries open and they see the response.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2343902)   #8
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have heard that FJ was asked to pay £XXX by Silverstone for the races in 2008, this was paid as requested. At a later date Silverstone requested a higher fee, FJ will not pay and will therefore not be invited back!!!!!!
Old 30 Nov 2008, 12:05 (Ref:2344193)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Obviously I have an agenda in saying this but it would be nice to see a race for 23b's etc... rather than just repeating the same races on Saturday and Sunday....
Old 30 Nov 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2344196)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

They have to find a way of giving the punters cars to see in the Paddock on Sunday.This was one of the major failings this year.Races are better the shorter are as far as spectators are concerned.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 16:08 (Ref:2344283)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We do risk repeating much of what was said in this thread:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108790

I'm led to believe that a number of the issues we raised in the old thread are being addressed for next year's Classic.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2344385)   #12
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Since that thread FJ has probably vanished.What else will happen with Silverstone changes.The original thread was from glass half full perspective and how it was going to expand and continuing the events improvement etc,etc,its now half empty and many are looking from a different viewpoint.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2344394)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I thought we all ended up on a posative note about last years race. After all i was allowed to park the Delta truck in paddock and use my scooters. Beep Beep.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2344707)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I only went on the Sunday this year , watched a couple of races over lunch in "Terry's Club" and then went home - the FJ had a big smash I recall at the first corner. Everyone tells me that FJ is such a gentlemen's series yet everytime I watch a race it looks complete carnage - are they the new BTCC of the historic world?
Next year will probably be ok as anyone on a restricted racing budget will probably make sure they can do this meeting... just a great shame if the repeat all the same races on Saturday and Sunday...
Old 1 Dec 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2344711)   #15
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Since that thread FJ has probably vanished.What else will happen with Silverstone changes.
I am now led to believe that the HSCC races for 60-70's roadsports cars have been dropped.

If this is correct and we have Porsche's and 2L Touring Cars it will not be much of an Historic festival.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 08:37 (Ref:2344726)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

From what I understand of the programme it seems that there will be little reason for going both days - if you think about either Goodwood (or indeed the old Silverstone Historic) there is a great breadth of racing over the two days so people will want to come for two days to watch. If Sunday is pretty much a rehash of Saturday but with less cars due to attrition then it makes Sunday a bit lack lustre... I will go if I have a race for the Merlyn (at the moment it seems unlikely) otherwise unless I get a decent lunch invite its one I will probably miss....
Old 1 Dec 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2344880)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thanks for the opening.Silverstone needs to keep the cars there for two days to allow the public to see the cars in the paddock and as its a free world entrants will go home if they have nothing to do.At Woodgood the entrants are not allowed(well most of them) to leave until 7/8 pm on Sunday .So four days for 20 min race. Its not a straightforward comparison,must have apples and apples old boy!
Old 1 Dec 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2345121)   #18
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
I've seen an early version of the timetable and it looks really great. Be patient....
Hi Roger.
DO you know if there will be a race for pre-66 GP cars?
ANd for pre-66 Saloons (Top Hat)?
Thank you.
P.S. I don't know if you remember, we fought for a couple of corners at the OGP this year in HTGT race ( I was driving a blu with white stripes Mustang).I did enjoy a lot.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2345164)   #19
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hey Enrico hope you did not dive up the inside of Roger at the chicane.Sorry Rog.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2345273)   #20
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Hey Enrico hope you did not dive up the inside of Roger at the chicane.Sorry Rog.
No Delta, I didn't.... He did a very late brake on me at the last corner (I never remember the name of that corner), I overtook him on the main straight, he overtook me again at the braking of the first hairpin and I then went by again. After that I didn't see him anymore, even after the end of the race at the prize giving ...maybe he was busy with another race or just having a shower .
Anyway it was great fun !!!
Old 2 Dec 2008, 14:32 (Ref:2345696)   #21
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumor has it that the Rydell Volvo is being re-commissioned for the Classic.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 15:14 (Ref:2345721)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

What a stupid idea for a Historic meeting.A complete waste of money putting a BSCC rerun of 90's.Would think the drivers will want paying as they probably they are well known and crowd pullers.No chance while the rest of us have to organise our lives around these not so Superstars.I remember the Mansell Festival,75K and 500 extra through the gate.People are gullible
Old 2 Dec 2008, 15:51 (Ref:2345736)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I was in "down the pub" in motoring news a couple of weeks ago. Do you think i could ask for some appearance money as well.?
Old 2 Dec 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2345742)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Yes sure,where do you want the £1.50 PO sending.
Something to look forward to is ,if it happens,could also be an Audi or two on the grid.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2345957)   #25
fasted
Racer

England
fasted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it again the case that if I wish to take part in the "Sports & GT" race in Britains premier historic meeting. Not onlyI must be registered in the Masters series, but as it is considered one of their more pretigious grids I must earn my place by loyally supporting their other rounds??

Tags
historic racing, pre '63 gts