Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2954673)   #751
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aki13 View Post
Bad news all this. I mean from other forums I post on, alot of F1 fans say they will not continue watching the sport reguarly.

As they cannot or will not pay skys prices.

Although if it must go to sky, then welldone for at least refraining from the ads during the race, although as soon as it finishes I expect they will put loads in.
What people say and what people do are often very different things. I expect most people will watch the live races as they do now and then just watch the highlights/full race later on BBC
Old 12 Sep 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2954718)   #752
3point0v8
Rookie

3point0v8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
What people say and what people do are often very different things. I expect most people will watch the live races as they do now and then just watch the highlights/full race later on BBC
Totally agree. Boycotting the BBC, like some are saying they will, is a ridiculous thing to do anyway - it only weakens the case for keeping F1 terrestrial!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2959058)   #753
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3point0v8 View Post
Totally agree. Boycotting the BBC, like some are saying they will, is a ridiculous thing to do anyway - it only weakens the case for keeping F1 terrestrial!
Even if F1 viewers did boycott the BBC the numbers would be negligible.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2959113)   #754
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Even if F1 viewers did boycott the BBC the numbers would be negligible.
Apparently some have been switching off already. Some because their 'hero' is now unlikely to win the championship. Some because they have maybe forgotten that all analogue terrestrial channels switched to digital in the UK today (phase 2). So they need to folk out for a new TV set or a digi-box.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2959332)   #755
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Shocking news....
Old 22 Sep 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2959560)   #756
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
In other shocking news: SKY target Brundle for lead commentary position.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...2012-coverage/
Old 22 Sep 2011, 13:46 (Ref:2959563)   #757
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
In other shocking news: SKY target Brundle for lead commentary position.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...2012-coverage/
I'm not surprised by that. He does a good job and the starting grid walkabout he does is really entertaining.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2959717)   #758
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Apparently some have been switching off already. Some because their 'hero' is now unlikely to win the championship. Some because they have maybe forgotten that all analogue terrestrial channels switched to digital in the UK today (phase 2). So they need to fork out for a new TV set or a digi-box.
I'm in the Meridian area and the switch is not happening until some time next year, which is another reason to take the Sky option.

I'm enjoying it so far. There may not be much daylight down here on the dark side, but it's lovely and warm.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2959936)   #759
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The decision reeks of Murdoch and Ecclestone greed. It's a daft decision for the sport though, but why would 80+ year old billionaires care about the future?
Old 23 Sep 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2960067)   #760
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The decision reeks of Murdoch and Ecclestone greed. It's a daft decision for the sport though, but why would 80+ year old billionaires care about the future?
Simple, - power and control!

They've each spent their whole lives striving for it and the fact that they are each over 80 isn't going to stop that!
Old 27 Sep 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2961623)   #761
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Could not agree more, Ecclestone most certainly has no regard even for himself or his family, to associate himself with Murdoch, and the level to which that man has reduced journalism to, I am surprised the Government has allowed the BBC to sleep in the same bed. Or maybe anyone of us should not be surprised at all.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2962854)   #762
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't you guys held a royal commission over this yet? It must be a national catastrophe the way it is being complained about here.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2962919)   #763
Jan Gower
Racer

Jan Gower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sent an e-mail to the producer of F1 and he wrote back and said he was devastated and angry at the decision. I also sent an e-mail to the woman director of sport for the BBC and I got an out of office saying that if I was writing to complain about the decision to go with BBC & Sky she could not reply to each separate e-mail, but to go to the BBC web site and complain through the 'proper' channels, I have done this probably a waste of time, there is also a government petition....Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier. The deal is done I for one am gutted but I will listen to Radio 5 live together with the official 1 timing screen I will be able to keep tabs on what is going on, I will not under any circumstances subscribe to sky... what happens when a football match is on the same time as a GP, which takes second place...
Old 30 Sep 2011, 13:02 (Ref:2962937)   #764
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Gower View Post
I sent an e-mail to the producer of F1 and he wrote back and said he was devastated and angry at the decision. I also sent an e-mail to the woman director of sport for the BBC and I got an out of office saying that if I was writing to complain about the decision to go with BBC & Sky she could not reply to each separate e-mail, but to go to the BBC web site and complain through the 'proper' channels, I have done this probably a waste of time, there is also a government petition....Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier. The deal is done I for one am gutted but I will listen to Radio 5 live together with the official 1 timing screen I will be able to keep tabs on what is going on, I will not under any circumstances subscribe to sky... what happens when a football match is on the same time as a GP, which takes second place...
Did you email her directly?
Old 30 Sep 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2963006)   #765
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I will not under any circumstances subscribe to sky... what happens when a football match is on the same time as a GP, which takes second place...
As you'll never subscribe to Sky you'll never find out

Oh go on then, i'll tell you!! For those paying for Sky they get 4 sports channels, plus the red button, so any clashes will not be a problem!
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2963090)   #766
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As said, sky have four sports channels. So no problem with the football. They're all in HD too. There are less problems with scheduling than with the BBC. No changing channels if it rains a bit too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Haven't you guys held a royal commission over this yet? It must be a national catastrophe the way it is being complained about here.
We have a royal commission on complaining.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2963817)   #767
Jan Gower
Racer

Jan Gower should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bjohnsonsmith to answer you I most certainly did e-mail her directly! That is how I got the out of office reply. And to be honest I really am not interested in how sky do F1 it will NEVER be as good as BBC, Martin, Jake Eddie and the rest of the team..... EVER!
Old 2 Oct 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2964135)   #768
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
And to be honest I really am not interested in how sky do F1 it will NEVER be as good as BBC, Martin, Jake Eddie and the rest of the team..... EVER!
Depends, if Sky hire the above you mention, then why not??
Old 2 Oct 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2964265)   #769
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I too think that the sky coverage won't match the beeb coverage. Although I don't think it will be bad.
Back in the day the original beeb coverage was of high quality, but didn't have much quantity. ITV were all quantity and no quality. They gave us the big build up, but no reason to watch it!
Back on the BBC and we have quantity and quality.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2964277)   #770
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 is a business and Bernie just follows the money. Arguably, as a businessman, that is his sole function.

The fans are of secondary importance to money, which is why desert-based GPs have their stands filled entirely with members of the local royalty's extended family while outside the race is watched by two bored camels and a slightly bemused goat herder.

The BBC is not a business and cannot really compete.

From a business perspective, and unlike the Beeb, Sky must see a return on its investment in F1. This can only come from two sources; extra buyers of Sky TV, and extra advertising revenue generated from companies targeting F1 audiences.

Based on this thread, the likelihood of F1 fans shelling out millions by transferring to Sky is highly unlikely, which leaves the ad revenue. If ad revenue was so lucrative, why couldn't ITV (or any of the many commercial channels) compete? They've done it before, they know the numbers.

I think Sky will find this an expensive hot potato.

It may burn Bernie and the FIA too. F1 has been fighting a continuous battle to make the racing exciting enough for people to want to watch, (like having tyres that self-denotate at 14 laps!). It's all becoming rather artificial and I wonder whether the term 'World Champion' might not be changed to "The guy that happened to drive for the team that made the least strategic errors."

And to give Hamilton, love him or hate him, his due, he belongs to the small world of drivers who want to race - really race. And to give him and others - Webber is of the same mould - a penalty every time he dares do a Senna takes the heart out of it. Perhaps the FIA should run F1 under BTCC rules! (Last man standing?)

As it stands, unless Mr Murdock just wants this as an expensive ornament to his empire - PR Bling - then I don't think he will keep it for long. And if the FIA don't buck their ideas up it won't be worth watching anyway.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2965149)   #771
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post

From a business perspective, and unlike the Beeb, Sky must see a return on its investment in F1. This can only come from two sources; extra buyers of Sky TV, and extra advertising revenue generated from companies targeting F1 audiences.

Based on this thread, the likelihood of F1 fans shelling out millions by transferring to Sky is highly unlikely, which leaves the ad revenue. If ad revenue was so lucrative, why couldn't ITV (or any of the many commercial channels) compete? They've done it before, they know the numbers.

I think Sky will find this an expensive hot potato.
I'm also perplexed at the business motive for this.

Advertising won't pay for it that's for sure. And the Sky viewership will be far less than ITV got and probably just 20% or so of the BBC's figures.

What Sky lives for are subscriptions, £60 or so going into their bank every month regular as clockwork, that's why thy are so cash rich they don't know what to do with the money they have. I can't see them selling enough extra ones to reap a substancial reward from F1 though.

Which leaves us the Big Picture. The weakening of the BBC, chipping away at every opportunity, because that is really what drives James Murdoch's agenda. And until he was outed as the leader of a company who "employed" members of Her Majesty's Constabulary he might have got away with it.

The trouble is he can afford the loss F1 on Sky might incur, he's in it for the long term then next contract he'll bid for the lot.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2965156)   #772
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
bjohnsonsmith to answer you I most certainly did e-mail her directly! That is how I got the out of office reply. And to be honest I really am not interested in how sky do F1 it will NEVER be as good as BBC, Martin, Jake Eddie and the rest of the team..... EVER!
That's interesting because I emailed their sports section and got a generic response, so I emailed her directly and got an out of office reply as well and this was not long after the deal was announced. They were obviously anticipating a barrage of emails complaining about this.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 3 Oct 2011 at 20:41.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 20:54 (Ref:2965167)   #773
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
And if the FIA don't buck their ideas up it won't be worth watching anyway.
Too right, F1 is rubbish. The FIA haven't done anything that might make it more popular.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 09:56 (Ref:2965425)   #774
LandieLad
Racer

Japan
Tokyo
LandieLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wonder what the implications of this (foreign decoders) will mean for Sky Sports and hence F1 on Sky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241
Old 4 Oct 2011, 10:09 (Ref:2965434)   #775
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandieLad View Post
Just wonder what the implications of this (foreign decoders) will mean for Sky Sports and hence F1 on Sky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241
A very interesting development.

With a bit of luck there may be an option here for an enterprising EU broadcaster with F1 rights to give UK viewers an alternative to the Sky rip off.

Five live commentary and pictures via Greece would do it for me.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky