Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16 Mar 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3042098)   #1751
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think sky are targeting the wrong demographics.

in this week's issue of heat (containing women specific gossip, 'fashion' and journalism masterpieces such as 'celeb diets gone too far' and 'rodrigo: i want to be a woman') there was a leaflet for the aforementioned f1 deal at £10.50.

the only link between heat magazine and f1 is charles pic's lovely hair and strong cheekbones. oh and maybe lewis' hanger on 'popstar' girlfriend. neither were used as a marketing point...
Old 16 Mar 2012, 10:59 (Ref:3042146)   #1752
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm quite happy not to subscribe to Sky; sometimes I miss races and catch up on highlights, so it's not worth the extra expense.

Either way looking forward to the new season.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3042153)   #1753
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I am not subscribed to Sky movies, but I have the F1 channel. I think that you only need to have the 'Entertainment package' plus HD or Sky sports 1 & 2 (or both) in order to get the F1 channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
Ask for their 'F1 HD Deal' it's their Special Offer package!
It only costs £10.50 and includes some Sky Sports channels too.
No, still not getting it. Do I need to have a cheese sandwich to get skyf1?
Old 16 Mar 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3042161)   #1754
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89 View Post
So in other words...the same as last season when we didn't have to pay?
Ha Ha Ha! Couldn't have put it better myself.

Tragic.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3042198)   #1755
expaddockrunner
Racer

United Kingdom
coventry
expaddockrunner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just woke up, after working the nightshift!

playback from the sky box, session one recorded ok, WHY oh WHY, was the second session in two parts, which means i missed the actual track action

also i noticed adverts, during the track action, i hope this is not going to happen during the race
Old 16 Mar 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3042199)   #1756
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Hamness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I thought Sky did a pretty good job all round this morning. The quieter moments of FP 1 & 2 were filled in with lots of live interviews which did not happen on the Beeb practice sessions. Now really looking forward to Sat sessions for some dry running hopefully.

We are never going to get away from the "rights and wrongs" or the "pros and cons" of the present televised situation that we have, but it seems that a lot of personal mud slinging has been in this thread. Where people choose to spend their money is entirely that. I was already paying for a package that now includes F1 and can also watch it on Sky Go so at the moment it has not meant any further outlay. I say "at the moment" cos it still could end up on pay per view in the forthcoming years. Now there is another "discussion" for another day..............

Suffice to say I was impressed by the sessions so far. Not even gone into the interactive stuff yet.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 13:34 (Ref:3042200)   #1757
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by expaddockrunner View Post

playback from the sky box, session one recorded ok, WHY oh WHY, was the second session in two parts, which means i missed the actual track action

also i noticed adverts, during the track action, i hope this is not going to happen during the race

No adverts during the live race and remember to check the programme schedules to see if you need to record more than 1 session for the same continuing programme. I always record the next scheduled programme for any live motor racing like Wtcc, just in case there are lengthy delays. I agree it can be very frustrating if End of Programme appears on screen when the action was still going on.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3042201)   #1758
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You may also find that depending on positive / constructive feedback from viewers that Sky may change how items are listed in the planner. For example, I seem to recall that for race coverage the build-up show is listed separately on the planner from the actual race, I think this is a good idea, people that don't want the build-up don't have to record it.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3042202)   #1759
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been happy with the non-condescending level of the coverage. I might have expected tabloidy (News of the World or ITV) style, and I'll reserve judgement until I've seen a few full race weekends, but it seems aimed at both the F1 fan (let's compare Button and Hamilton's respective disk brakes) and the sports fan who may get into F1 (some explanations of F1 rules). This makes sense I suppose, given that it is Sky Sports.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3042208)   #1760
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

playback from the sky box, session one recorded ok, WHY oh WHY, was the second session in two parts, which means i missed the actual track action :
I recorded both, but series link might have helped? It is repeated several times too.
Quote:
If only we knew this. I'm off to buy a cheese sandwich just in case it is needed for uninterrupted race action.

Yep, coverage was pretty good. Interesting features, more interviews, ideal for practice. And I've bought a KIA sportarge, just in case you need that to watch skyf1hd.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 14:20 (Ref:3042215)   #1761
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From experience of most race classes I'd have to say that during free-practise adverts would be more interesting than the majority of the on-track action.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3042216)   #1762
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Setanta is showing all the races and qualifying live on free to air.....using the BBC live feed. Not sure if those of you in the UK can obtain it, even with a subscription.

Seems strange that people outside the UK can watch the BBC coverage live for all races whereas those in the UK cant.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 14:36 (Ref:3042219)   #1763
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
has anyone used sky go to watch the f1? on a normal broadband connection shared between a couple of people do you find that it buffers much, or is it pretty consistent?
Old 16 Mar 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3042220)   #1764
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Seems strange that people outside the US can watch the BBC coverage live for all races whereas those in the US can't, doesn't it Jeremy?
Old 16 Mar 2012, 14:49 (Ref:3042231)   #1765
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
Setanta is showing all the races and qualifying live on free to air.....using the BBC live feed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Seems strange that people outside the US can watch the BBC coverage live for all races whereas those in the US can't, doesn't it Jeremy?
Is it actually the "BBC" feed with the BBC commentary or is it the "Global" video feed with Setanta's commentary team?
Old 16 Mar 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3042249)   #1766
Hamness
Racer

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
has anyone used sky go to watch the f1? on a normal broadband connection shared between a couple of people do you find that it buffers much, or is it pretty consistent?
Have watched it on an ipad at home when a couple of people have been sharing, watched it at work on their Wifi (shared by several hundred) and watched it in the pub with several sharing and it performed admirably throughout.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3042253)   #1767
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Adam it does not surprise me, as there is much F1 news, including video, driver interviews that we are not able to view here...

In order to watch races here you must subscribe to Speed TV, apart from the few races that are on FOX which is still not free to air..

I agree it does seem odd that other regions can watch ?
Old 16 Mar 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3042275)   #1768
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Overall, it's been pretty good. Always liked the combination of Crofty and Ant doing the commentary during the practice sessions.

I too am now the owner of a bright orange Kia Sportage.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 16:11 (Ref:3042279)   #1769
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

There's a note about this on the Sky website - because the live sessions straddle the 6.00am 'cut-off' time (ie when one tv scheduling day ends & another starts), the programme has to be split. Qualifying & race day are the same so be warned!! As someone mentioned though, series link should pick up all live broadcasts.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3042293)   #1770
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
*cough* SERIES RECORD *cough*
No problems for me this morning when I checked the Sky Planner - picked up TWO FP2 Programmes, and I only ever added the FP1 programme in the first place.

Quote:
Adverts when there is no track action (and certainly no sign of track action) to avoid doing it at a time when there is an issue? No problem in my book.

Unless there is a break in Racing (like we had with Canada last season) then I really do think there will be no adverts during the racing.

My one gripe, is that the Sky F1 website extras (timing screens, live streaming, extra cameras etc) seems to block me out as a non Sky Sports User, but otherwise, no problems.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3042352)   #1771
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I watched a re-run of FP2 on Sky Go this afternoon and didn't get a single pause. Looked great on my 40" TV too. Pretty much the same as it was last year with live feed and familiar voices over the top. As I'm on Sky Go I can't get the red button features but its never been of interest for me anyway so I'm not missing out there in the slightest. So far I'd say its ok.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3042357)   #1772
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I used it last night for FP1 and it was fine, only thing that was annoying was after 10 minutes or so of inactivity the laptop screen would go blank.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3042359)   #1773
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I used it last night for FP1 and it was fine, only thing that was annoying was after 10 minutes or so of inactivity the laptop screen would go blank.
I wouldn't have got annoyed about it, I would have just changed the screen settings on the laptop.
Old 16 Mar 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3042361)   #1774
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I wouldn't have got annoyed about it, I would have just changed the screen settings on the laptop.
Far too technical for a techno spaz like me !!!
Old 16 Mar 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3042366)   #1775
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One change I don't like is the lack of 'on demand' watching of free practices, qually and the whole race that you could view online with iPlayer. After a day at work or at a race circuit it was nice to return home and watch the action as live.

Sky's anytime will only offer race highlights from the Monday so the only answer would be a Sky+ box.

ps I watched their coverage of FP2 this morning and it was good, much like the BBC online service last year but with a few ad breaks.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky