Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 13 May 2013, 06:28 (Ref:3246553)   #326
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That picture HProject does cause some concern from an engineering perspective.

At best that will poorly remove only mild rain. there are some pretty snazzy drainage grates made by companies like Hynds and Humes, and I wonder if they could be used in this kind of situation??

Either way, those golf-hole size apertures should be free from detritus, and be connected to sub-soil drains (usually nova-coil style systems, with a drainage aggregate, e.g. scoria placed around it), which should in turn be connected in to the stormwater drainage system, if there is indeed, one to begin with.

Makes me think that the track upgrades are there to provide a good spectacle so long as the rain stays away. Funny how April is normally a fairly dry month in Auckland, suits to Supercar visit just nicely doesn't it!

And BTW my observations about April rainfall rates is subjective, as of course, no one can control the weather. But I bet the drainage would be improved if the next SC visit is pouring down and millions of dollars of cars all end up in the wall just because of poor/cheap design.
Old 14 May 2013, 04:05 (Ref:3247087)   #327
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given that Mark Skaife oversaw the changes, one has to ask whether or not he overlooked the drainage aspect and was he in fact paid for his input? If he was, how much - and is he in any way liable for what appears to be a fairly basic oversight?
Old 14 May 2013, 04:37 (Ref:3247095)   #328
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't know of any civil engineer who would have approved that drainage "system" - it looks like it has been put in as an afterthought by the contractor. If it is drainining a reasonable section of track it should be an approved system similar to that which is used on motorways, which is usually a system of slot drains and off-line catchpits, connected via 225 diameter RCRRJ pipes (or bigger, NZTA use 300 dia min these days).

The catchment area needs to be calculated, and then the flows calculated for the 10 year storm event - a normal catchpit will give you 27 litres/sec input flow but with a slot drain you can double that. That golf ball sized hole (which will block in no time at all) would give you only about 7 l/s even at a 10% gradient! You don't need much rain to get that to pond, and there is no overland flow path if it blocks, so it is simply not safe. I wonder if that is why the FIA would not grant it a Grade 2 licence?
Old 14 May 2013, 04:53 (Ref:3247102)   #329
Alpina107
Rookie

Alpina107 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I wonder if that is why the FIA would not grant it a Grade 2 licence?
Lack of drainage surely wouldn't help but I understood that the biggest obstacle to Grade certification is the lack of run-off areas, particularly around turn 3 (second part of esses) and Turn 4 (Railway / Castrol).

The run-offs aren't going to improve without a major redesign of the circuit, and I can't imagine that happening - the Auckland ratepayers would complain even more!
Old 14 May 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3247166)   #330
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding with the changes to the track was that the old configuration would still be able to be used. So classes could run the track they wanted. [old or new back straight] that has changed by the sound of things. You can only run the new track layout?
Old 14 May 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3247229)   #331
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The "old" section of the back straight cannot now be used until they have it (re)licenced.
Old 14 May 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3247400)   #332
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
My understanding with the changes to the track was that the old configuration would still be able to be used. So classes could run the track they wanted. [old or new back straight] that has changed by the sound of things. You can only run the new track layout?
unfortunately if you use the old track and have a coming together just past the new section a 45 degree angle to the inside will see a head on impact with the wall thru and exiting the new section.i imagine barriers would have to be temporarily installed where the old inside wall used to be to use original circuit.....sounds like a fair bit of work for a club day.