Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Mar 2018, 07:16 (Ref:3805637)   #226
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post

Anyone know what Realtime are up to this year?
I think they're planning a Civic TCR program.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 00:02 (Ref:3806102)   #227
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more GTS SprintX news:

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...4-for-sprintx/
Old 6 Mar 2018, 14:09 (Ref:3806247)   #228
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
TRG obviously applying its own version of "weight-based-BoP" there...

Old 6 Mar 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3806269)   #229
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
TRG obviously applying its own version of "weight-based-BoP" there...

hahaha! comment of the year
Old 6 Mar 2018, 15:34 (Ref:3806278)   #230
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Now that's success ballast!
Old 7 Mar 2018, 15:27 (Ref:3806641)   #231
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Daniel Morad for full season at CRP Racing
Old 9 Mar 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3807063)   #232
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
priceisrighthorns.wav

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...eason-program/
Old 9 Mar 2018, 14:28 (Ref:3807065)   #233
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
priceisrighthorns.wav
??
Old 9 Mar 2018, 16:50 (Ref:3807088)   #234
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jz1TjCphXE
Old 10 Mar 2018, 04:02 (Ref:3807180)   #235
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
cbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcbbrit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A possible interesting development for some select races this year:

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...-gt-gts-races/
Old 10 Mar 2018, 14:55 (Ref:3807241)   #236
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DXDT Mercedes GT3 for SprintX Cota event

Old 10 Mar 2018, 19:22 (Ref:3807263)   #237
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
Great news for Alec Udell going forward:

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...rn-with-udell/
Old 12 Mar 2018, 16:24 (Ref:3807528)   #238
Bcarr6
Veteran

So, I looked on Motortrendondemand, and the replays from St Petes arent on there.

Are we set for another year of useless on demand coverage?

Youd have thought PWC would be doing anything for exposure with their current barely double figure GT3 entry right now.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3807531)   #239
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Streaming worked fine here in Uruguay (unlike Fox Sports or Carlo Olympics).

I guess that GT3 will be dropped for 2020.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3807543)   #240
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
So, I looked on Motortrendondemand, and the replays from St Petes arent on there.

Are we set for another year of useless on demand coverage?

Youd have thought PWC would be doing anything for exposure with their current barely double figure GT3 entry right now.
PWC's agreement with Motor Trend on Demand has come to an end, the races are now live-streamed through Youtube.
I'm guessing that they will upload the replays to their YouTube account sometime after the CBS Sports broadcast airs.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 19:55 (Ref:3807564)   #241
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Streamed live, but not announced on YouTube. The video is hidden before the green and appears with no notice and therefore no "live" tag until half an hour in. So you have to go to the website to get it...and the website spends a lot of the time down.

They really make it hard to watch this series.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3807571)   #242
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Streamed live, but not announced on YouTube. The video is hidden before the green and appears with no notice and therefore no "live" tag until half an hour in. So you have to go to the website to get it...and the website spends a lot of the time down.

They really make it hard to watch this series.

Yup. Such a let down
Old 14 Mar 2018, 00:54 (Ref:3807837)   #243
cbbrit
Veteran

Jersey
Sonoma, California
Confirmation of RealTime Racing's switch to the TCR class with a pair of Honda Civic Type R entries:

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...switch-to-tcr/
Old 14 Mar 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3807926)   #244
Bcarr6
Veteran

Compass Racing will bring a Mclaren 570s GT4 for new Mclaren Factory Driver Paul Holton and Ray Mason.

Sprint X only.

Will be nice to see how Paul stacks up in GTS, he always goes very well in CTSCC.

On a side note, this is a rather new trend for factory drivers to be running in GT4...
Old 14 Mar 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3808028)   #245
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Today YouTube suggested me to watch the 2014 St Pete GT race video. And that made me thinking... what went wrong with GT3 in PWC?

The management of this series is just one big joke. It is because GT4 and TCR became popular, otherwise the PWC would have been in big problems i think.

They just keep on messing up with the GT3. The base is completly gone due to mismanagement and miscommunication. How come the YouTube livestream announcement just came on Saturday. Why this haven't been done three months ago and repeated by every announcement they made after that? Really, I can't understand this anymore.

The series really need to work on their base. They really have some sources to work with like GT3, GT4 and having events together with IndyCar.

GT/GTA should stop with SprintX, more teaming up with Indy-Car, and consider one or two less events. Also add there a trophy class for older spec GT3 cars like the many Gallardo, R8 LMS ultra and 458 who are there.

They can launch a seperate endurance championship with the GT and GTS cars, which has about 4 events, including the Laguna Seca 8 Hours.

PWC can send me a PM if they would like to hire me
Old 15 Mar 2018, 12:23 (Ref:3808134)   #246
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
I just see NA Sportscar's article. It seems we hit some similar points.
http://nasportscar.com/im-not-worrie...ittle-worried/

Quote:
Lastly, the cost of running a GT3 program in North America right now is very high. In 2014 and 2015 you were looking anywhere from $800,000 to $1.2million for a GT3 program in World Challenge. Now you’re closer to $1.5million in PWC and over $3million for a full season of IMSA racing.
Just I would be interesting where the cost rise comes from. Is this due to Sprint X? Is this due to increased support of customers racing.
If IMSA is double the money, maybe it is currently triple worth compared to PWC with the big events and more driving time. Though GT3 there is a lower class.
Cost increase isn't bad, if the value you can offer is also increased.

About the killing factories i am not that sure. As far as I know Acura could continue their factory programm in PWC. Though they decided to switch to TCR. Also the Blancpain Endurance Cup has got a bigger variety in factory brands, with Porsche, Lexus, Aston Martin joining.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3808148)   #247
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorritVD View Post
......About the killing factories i am not that sure. As far as I know Acura could continue their factory programm in PWC. Though they decided to switch to TCR. Also the Blancpain Endurance Cup has got a bigger variety in factory brands, with Porsche, Lexus, Aston Martin joining.
^ Yeah that.
It seems to me that PWCs refocus towards fully privateer teams is a reaction to the loss of several manufacturer programs rather than the cause of it. Like you pointed out, the SRO doesn't seem to be against factory support of GT3 teams. Also it appears that the Bentley program in PWC still has some factory backing.
IMSA's GTD class is supposed to have a manufacturer support ban, perhaps people are confusing the two series.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3808155)   #248
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't RealTime's idea to get rid of the NSX and Acura's factory backing for the GT3 program. It wasn't Cadillac's idea to stop the ATS V.R GT3 program and no, neither of these teams could come back to PWC in the same way they raced in 2017 or before. Bentley and the Dyson factory effort could not return and Always Evolving and the Nissan factory effort could not return, they need to be privateer programs.

To me it's healthy to have a mix of factory and privateer programs and when you have BoP leveling the field, the spend by CRP compared to Cadillac Racing doesn't matter. This is the whole point of BoP.

Trying to market GT3 cars to wealthy people while also marketing GT4 cars to wealthy people does not make sense. A GT4 program is 1/4 of the cost of a GT3 program, so of course people will gravitate there.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3808176)   #249
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
It wasn't RealTime's idea to get rid of the NSX and Acura's factory backing for the GT3 program. It wasn't Cadillac's idea to stop the ATS V.R GT3 program and no, neither of these teams could come back to PWC in the same way they raced in 2017 or before. Bentley and the Dyson factory effort could not return and Always Evolving and the Nissan factory effort could not return, they need to be privateer programs.

To me it's healthy to have a mix of factory and privateer programs and when you have BoP leveling the field, the spend by CRP compared to Cadillac Racing doesn't matter. This is the whole point of BoP.

Trying to market GT3 cars to wealthy people while also marketing GT4 cars to wealthy people does not make sense. A GT4 program is 1/4 of the cost of a GT3 program, so of course people will gravitate there.
Well said,

I hope there is still a solid future for GT3 in PWC, they always made for good races in their format.

I kind of think they should just pick one or the other with Sprint, Sprint X though, although I have no preference on which.
Old 15 Mar 2018, 17:34 (Ref:3808191)   #250
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
It wasn't RealTime's idea to get rid of the NSX and Acura's factory backing for the GT3 program. It wasn't Cadillac's idea to stop the ATS V.R GT3 program and no, neither of these teams could come back to PWC in the same way they raced in 2017 or before.
Keep in mind that Peter Cunningham is one of the stakeholders in the series, Also Cadillac brought a lot more to the series than just two cars. They were also a major sponsor that provided safety vehicles and a lot of trackside promotion. I still don't buy the narrative that PWC actively chose to end these manufacturers involvement in the series. The recent talk of being a more privateer friendly series appears to me to be simply trying to cope with the situation. Incidentally I can't find anything in the PWC rulebook officially banning full factory programs.
http://files.world-challenge.com/rul...egulations.pdf
Quote:
....Bentley and the Dyson factory effort could not return and Always Evolving and the Nissan factory effort could not return, they need to be privateer programs.
Not sure why you're bringing up those two examples. The Nissan factory program ended quite some time ago, at about the same time that Ed Brown returned to IMSA with a couple of Ligier LMP2s decorated so that they sort of look like a hideous mutation of a Nissan GT-R . The Bentley program was just scaled back a little and still continues with K-Pax.
Quote:
.....To me it's healthy to have a mix of factory and privateer programs and when you have BoP leveling the field, the spend by CRP compared to Cadillac Racing doesn't matter. This is the whole point of BoP.
Agreed.

Quote:
While that is part of the problem, it's interesting to note that most of the growth in GTS has come from new teams or TC class teams moving up. There are only a few entries that came at the expense of a GT program.