Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jan 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1498752)   #1
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ant to stay at Honda (BAR, not SA)

Just read an article on the ITV website that says Ant is going to be Honda's Friday Tester again next year

In the article, Gil says something to the effect of "...while we are sure he will be a race driver someday, he is crucial to us as a test driver..."

Seems to me that with Jenson there and Rubens at least for the near-term, Ant really doesn't have a shot at a race drive with BAR any time soon. That and Super Aguri are an exercise in appeasing Honda's home market, so if he is to have a race drive in the future it looks like it would have to be outside of the Honda efforts.

Maybe Rennen can shed some light on how a driver makes tough decisions like this one? What kinds of things are taken into account, and just how many choices Ant really had? If not, I understand...
Old 10 Jan 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1498811)   #2
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shiny, I had to open another window to block out that bloody avatar so I could read your post. I'll give you $5 if you change it.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1498883)   #3
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny side up!
Just read an article on the ITV website that says Ant is going to be Honda's Friday Tester again next year

In the article, Gil says something to the effect of "...while we are sure he will be a race driver someday, he is crucial to us as a test driver..."

Seems to me that with Jenson there and Rubens at least for the near-term, Ant really doesn't have a shot at a race drive with BAR any time soon. That and Super Aguri are an exercise in appeasing Honda's home market, so if he is to have a race drive in the future it looks like it would have to be outside of the Honda efforts.

Maybe Rennen can shed some light on how a driver makes tough decisions like this one? What kinds of things are taken into account, and just how many choices Ant really had? If not, I understand...
Very few...Midland wanted money, Williams had Keke's boy wonder what else was available? ADs contract didn't allowed for him to be a test driver for any other team so with JV staying onboard at BMW that ruled out the 2nd and the 3rd seat...there's nothing else available! But Aguri is under the Honda team umbrella so to speak...so the way I see it hes got 4 potential race seats covered.

In racing you never say never...competition people are eternal optimists...Remember Button only got his break into GP racing because Zanardi didn't work out at Williams...Maybe RB wont! Who can say?

ADs massive mileage and technical knowledge makes him pretty important to the 'Honda' team development...AND what young driver wouldn't give his eye-teeth to be driving the "best cars in the world" on all the GP circuits in company with the worlds best drivers? Not to mention a good salary and company cars and all the other perks of the job...AD is living ole Rennen's dream that I've dreamed since the late 1950's.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1499385)   #4
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the reply, Rennen! I always enjoy the insight you bring to these discussions...
Old 11 Jan 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1499521)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was it never likely for Ant to race at Super Aguri?