Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 2 Nov 2007, 00:11 (Ref:2057336)   #26
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Because NO game has realistic car damage yet, and PD don't want some half assed fake damage, especially when driving sims still have a long way to go to perfect actual driving physics, cars modelling, circuits etc.

Sim 'lite' games are ten a penny, I don't want another.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 00:34 (Ref:2057350)   #27
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh the ironing.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 21:16 (Ref:2058190)   #28
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Oh the ironing.
So your saying dodgy weather effects, fake crash damage and sim 'lite', arcadish handling (Forza II) are preferable to realistic (PC sim like) physics , in car views, perfect car models/circuits and G25 support etc. that GT5 will provide?

I know which I'd take.

Last edited by JAG; 2 Nov 2007 at 21:20.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 21:52 (Ref:2058222)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Calm down dear!
Old 8 Nov 2007, 19:42 (Ref:2063283)   #30
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Calm down dear!
its only a commercial!!!!!!!!
its a shame it won't be coming out on ps2 as the ps3 is too expensive-ill wait maybe 20 years when it comes down and i might get 1!!!!

what is the gt4 mobile for psp going to be like-i know its coming out after gt5 but is it going to be same like gt4 on ps2???
Old 9 Nov 2007, 08:40 (Ref:2063558)   #31
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damage on online games would be a joke anyway, you would never get past the first corner. If that is how you like your online games...
Old 10 Nov 2007, 00:04 (Ref:2064081)   #32
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
Damage on online games would be a joke anyway, you would never get past the first corner. If that is how you like your online games...

That brings back memories of the first lap of a Grand Prix Legends 'pick-up' race at Monza with a full grid of 20 drivers. Now that was carnage.

I haven't really played the GT series since GT3, but IIRC you had to pay for car washes and oil changes. Having to pay for the repairs might be an incentive to try and keep the racing clean, but if damage isn't being implemented for online play then its a shame. For an online console game it only needs to be aesthetic anywayas people will just quit after the first corner otherwise, another thing which used to happen on GPL.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 00:18 (Ref:2064089)   #33
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, I can never understand why developers are so insistnet on haveing damage in games, a certain amount is fine but spud is right, I used to play RFcator a lot and half of the time all the geeks ahve it set up to ahve damage and then you sit around for ages waiting to get 10 people on a server and the race is run after half a lap coz everyone gets damage, utterly pointless!!

Have a bit but not enough to ruin races, F! on PS3 works really well as you can race as ghosts, still use slipstream etc, makes the racing miles better, plus you cant wreck!
Old 10 Nov 2007, 21:24 (Ref:2064651)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Ghost races. *shudder*

For me it is best to have limited damage on the online element generally. But if you can hook up with groups of people you can trust, then there is nothing better than a good clean race with damage and everything on.

Ghost races kind of ruin it for me. Blocking/defending/passing cleanly is fun to do. Ghosts kind of remove the skill, may as well run bloody qualifying laps instead!
Old 11 Nov 2007, 23:06 (Ref:2065257)   #35
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Yes, I can never understand why developers are so insistnet on haveing damage in games, a certain amount is fine but spud is right, I used to play RFcator a lot and half of the time all the geeks ahve it set up to ahve damage and then you sit around for ages waiting to get 10 people on a server and the race is run after half a lap coz everyone gets damage, utterly pointless!!
Yup, I know exactly what you mean. I think there is a place for full-on damage in sims though as its part of the appeal in that genre, ie "to finish first, first you must finish".

We should write a song... "The Ode Of The Online Racer"

Quote:
For me it is best to have limited damage on the online element generally. But if you can hook up with groups of people you can trust, then there is nothing better than a good clean race with damage and everything on.
I wholeheartedly agree with that! Much of the time though it will be random races where everyone tries to win in the first corner. However, its the wreckers which really spoil it, who would probably be more numerous with the GT series since it is more accessible to everyone.

Last edited by Spudgun; 11 Nov 2007 at 23:11.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 13:30 (Ref:2067308)   #36
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ghost races. *shudder*

Ghost races kind of ruin it for me. Blocking/defending/passing cleanly is fun to do. Ghosts kind of remove the skill, may as well run bloody qualifying laps instead!
This was one of the good things i found about forza, if you got together with a group of mates with equal cars (B Class 206 or a 207 ) its clean bumper to bumper racing.

I like the damage system in racing games, because for example in PGR4 you always get some **** that will come and clean you out of it on the first corner... However with only body damage he may go on and win. With forza theres a good chance he will do more damage to himself if he trys cut you off and you will have the upper hand....

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 16 Dec 2007, 19:06 (Ref:2090037)   #37
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT5 Prolog is out in Japan & in the playstation Japan store. The only problem is paying for it as your credit card won't match the details you gave to get the japanese account!! Anyone know of a way round this problem please post!
Old 17 Dec 2007, 09:12 (Ref:2090367)   #38
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can buy the demo disc online through some gaming websites which is delivered to your door. I was going to buy one last night but held off untill I find out if its in English or not.

cheers
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:05 (Ref:2090462)   #39
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh deary me, just watched the review of the demo on Gameer tv and was staggered at how unbelievably poor this game looks.

It seems Polyphony are the laziest game developer in teh world, there are still cars in teh game that were int eh first game! THe engine and physics are exactly the same and teh sound is still utterly woeful.

We will have the same deal again with launch dates and the eventual release date being 8 months later to get money out of people before game release, and from what I've seen the game offers nothing new at all.

GT4 was pretty much just GT3 with a few exatra bits and the insanity of having to do three real time 24 hour races thrown in buy the developers to stop any sane people completing the game!

Seems all there is new in the new one is more cars in the races, the tracks look the same and the rest of it looks exactly as was.

Lets hope the physics and engine have been changed a bit to make a gameplay a little more interesting, I fear though that Polyphony will get all wrapped up in being anal again though and offer us stupid htings like cameras and races against noone as before!
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:19 (Ref:2090616)   #40
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How exactly could GT4's graphics be improved on? It's almost perfect.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 00:09 (Ref:2090966)   #41
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Precisely!! 45 quid for yet another revamp of the same physics, engine and cars that have been around for 4 years!!

Fact is it will sell millions coz ther are naff all good games out on PS3 at the mo, and its reputation goes before it, doesnt mean game is any good though, especially when its little more than a repackaging exercise!

Shame really as they could really do something special on the PS3, will just be an online bundle and a few gimmicks, that will be aough for most
Old 20 Dec 2007, 08:02 (Ref:2092476)   #42
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it will be THE BEST driving sim in the world and will buy my copy the millisecond it comes out.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Dec 2007, 12:29 (Ref:2092635)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The definitive review right there.

I will of course buy it myself, I am sure I will have picked up a very cheap PS3 by 2012. But I can't say I am exactly counting down the days to release.

Sort of like, aye, whatever.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 12:47 (Ref:2092651)   #44
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm in no hurry to get a PS3, the price will have to drop quite a bit before I bother. There still aren't enough games I'd consider buying (same is also true of the 360)
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:12 (Ref:2092684)   #45
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Bert, insanity! There are now a ton of excellent games.

Then again, it depends what genre you are after I suppose.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:20 (Ref:2092687)   #46
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I only really play driving games - and even then I'm not keen on street racers (PGR ) or fictional cars (Ridge Racer ) so that cuts the list even further. DIRT and Forza are the only 2 that really appeal on the 360 and only DIRT on the PS3 (did I mention that I don't like spindly F1 thingies either ).
Old 20 Dec 2007, 14:52 (Ref:2092699)   #47
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Hmmm....that does restrict you quite a lot then! Which is a shame as this has been a vintage year for gaming (if you own a 360 or Wii).

You need to broaden your gaming horizons!
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:20 (Ref:2092715)   #48
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I need more spare time (and cash)
Old 24 Dec 2007, 18:30 (Ref:2094550)   #49
safc_fan89
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Precisely!! 45 quid for yet another revamp of the same physics, engine and cars that have been around for 4 years!!

Fact is it will sell millions coz ther are naff all good games out on PS3 at the mo, and its reputation goes before it, doesnt mean game is any good though, especially when its little more than a repackaging exercise!

Shame really as they could really do something special on the PS3, will just be an online bundle and a few gimmicks, that will be aough for most
Well not really, how can you dismiss something as poor because you have seen the graphics, and they happen to be just like something which is already pretty amazing graphically. That's like criticising Schumacher for winning the title in 2004 because he only won 13 races.
Old 25 Dec 2007, 14:35 (Ref:2094735)   #50
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Exactly chunder. You are being very silly.

You should be dismissing it because it is on PS3.