Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jan 2016, 17:50 (Ref:3603773)   #1901
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
stick it on you tube, get 1m subscribers, hey presto you've funded your racing career!

probably more interesting than some stuff on there!
Old 13 Jan 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3604390)   #1902
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
After spending a day skid-car instructing yesterday, with Lancashire trainee paramedics, I've decided my winter project is to stay safe.......as the range of driving ability ranges from OK to awful........only one would I be happy having pilot me at speed in an ambulance.......

To be fair, maybe it was a bad day and I was just grumpy because it was flipping cold, I had to change four tyres before we started the day (we do go through tyres quite a lot ) and they were half an hour late arriving......not unusual for the NHS

Last edited by Lancsbreaker; 13 Jan 2016 at 15:25.
Old 13 Jan 2016, 17:10 (Ref:3604427)   #1903
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've moved the education discussion posts over to where Bauble can rant about the seriousness of life the universe and everything
Old 13 Jan 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3604473)   #1904
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I've moved the education discussion posts over to where Bauble can rant about the seriousness of life the universe and everything
On my way Tim!
Old 13 Jan 2016, 20:00 (Ref:3604491)   #1905
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There were education discussion posts?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3604683)   #1906
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
There were education discussion posts?
Have you learned nothing over your time on this forum?

We have teachers but call them moderators, so what do you expect? Common sense?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3604706)   #1907
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Back on topic , I had a setback with Gilbert, not apparent until trying to drive off after the diff/gearbox/engine change. Clutch wouldn't release! After checking the hydraulics, which turned out were operating the arm OK, suspect had to be the cover or centre plate, the former used and latter new.

So, although I have taken the gearbox out from under the car before, it's a tight fit and I'm getting older, but decided it was quicker route anyway! Having eventually got the beast out, I removed the clutch and compared the cover with another used one.

Putting it all back together was a pain, eventually had to admit defeat trying to put box back in from underneath, on my own, on the floor! Resorted to half removing the engine to allow more space, and then refitted. Now back together and clutch working, thank goodness....

So, question for the day- One of the two covers in the pic is the faulty one. Which?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Old 14 Jan 2016, 13:21 (Ref:3604714)   #1908
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Back on topic , I had a setback with Gilbert, not apparent until trying to drive off after the diff/gearbox/engine change. Clutch wouldn't release! After checking the hydraulics, which turned out were operating the arm OK, suspect had to be the cover or centre plate, the former used and latter new.

So, although I have taken the gearbox out from under the car before, it's a tight fit and I'm getting older, but decided it was quicker route anyway! Having eventually got the beast out, I removed the clutch and compared the cover with another used one.

Putting it all back together was a pain, eventually had to admit defeat trying to put box back in from underneath, on my own, on the floor! Resorted to half removing the engine to allow more space, and then refitted. Now back together and clutch working, thank goodness....

So, question for the day- One of the two covers in the pic is the faulty one. Which?
The one on the left.
(Or the one on the right!)
Old 14 Jan 2016, 13:35 (Ref:3604718)   #1909
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Left. Can't possibly work. Is it faulty or has something catastrophic happened to cause that?
Old 14 Jan 2016, 14:15 (Ref:3604731)   #1910
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Defiantly the one on the left.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Jan 2016, 14:54 (Ref:3604740)   #1911
bauble
Veteran

England
I think you are all clutching at straws.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 15:27 (Ref:3604748)   #1912
Unit 2 Racing
Racer

United Kingdom
Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk UK
Unit 2 Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the one on the left. Broken diaphragm?

Last edited by Unit 2 Racing; 14 Jan 2016 at 15:33.

There are people who drive racing cars and there are Racing Drivers. Gilles Villenuve
Old 14 Jan 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3604755)   #1913
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Unless it's a crappy photo (yes it is a crappy photo) It looks like the right hand one has a broken ring on the release fingers. The one on the left looks like the release fingers are bent the wrong way compared with the other one. Both clutches look well mullered.
Old 14 Jan 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3604768)   #1914
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, it is the one on the left that is basically ****ed!

Long story, but here goes. Try and keep awake.... The left cover was fitted to this engine from new, but at one point I swapped to a roller bearing thrust instead of the normal carbon. When fitting it I thought that it would need a different length pushrod to work correctly (don't ask me why, brain fade probably) so made a longer one. When I raced the car (once) in that configuration the clutch would only just clear but was useable, although reverse was pretty crap. The engine then came out again so Spa engine could go back in, with own clutch assy but carbon thrust again. Worked perfectly.

Fitting No2 engine back in now, I included a new centre plate along with the pictured cover, the idea being to bed the latter in for Spa. Being new, it was 0.6mm thicker than the old one, and when I tried car it would not release with normal pushrod. I tried the longer one from before, and although at full travel it would almost clear, car was not driveable.

So I'm guessing that the longer pushrod, when fitted originally, pushed the diaphragm so far that it went over centre. With the worn centre plate fitted it would still just release, but with a new thicker one, would not. The cover is now junked, another used one fitted instead. Works perfectly!
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:32 (Ref:3605035)   #1915
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The dash rule sounds a bit like another series I looked at- amongst other stuff you can upgrade brakes, fit panhard rod and links- but supposed to keep head lining in place......

Oh my mate is really happy now.......the draft 2016 regs for 750MC Roadsports are out now, and the requirement to retain dashboards has been dropped, just after he's finished refitting it..........
Old 15 Jan 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3605041)   #1916
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard, which class are you running in in Roadsports? There are 4 classes in Roadsports this year, as opposed to 3 last year and the lowest power to weight class has different tech regs to the other classes for some very strang reason!
Old 15 Jan 2016, 13:06 (Ref:3605049)   #1917
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Richard, which class are you running in in Roadsports? There are 4 classes in Roadsports this year, as opposed to 3 last year and the lowest power to weight class has different tech regs to the other classes for some very strang reason!

Er....the draft regs I'm looking at for 2016( http://www.750mc.co.uk/ugc-1/1/1/0/2...roadsports.pdf ) don't show any different regs for the different classes.........unlike 2015, when there were different regs for the lowest power:weight class. We reckon the 75V6 - absolutely standard engine-wise, should fit in the lowest class, just. Need to get it re-weighed just to check.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3605068)   #1918
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Arh, yes, they have taken out the regs that were more restrictive for the lowest power class. Didn't make much sense to have that point of difference anyway. Sorry fr your wasted time!
Old 15 Jan 2016, 18:18 (Ref:3605139)   #1919
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Sorry to hear about the goalposts moving Richard! Seems a common thread in motor sport....

Having got another car useable, now moved on to the next requiring some TLC- the old war horse 'Tango 924'. Head coming off to start with in order to find out why oil and water are now combined! The sludge is disgusting.....
Old 15 Jan 2016, 18:53 (Ref:3605152)   #1920
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
......'Tango 924'. ........
meant to ask at the Ace if you still had it !
I still have a spare engine here, if you need anything you're welcome to it.
Old 15 Jan 2016, 19:03 (Ref:3605156)   #1921
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
meant to ask at the Ace if you still had it !
I still have a spare engine here, if you need anything you're welcome to it.
Thanks David- I'll know what's wrong by end of the weekend! Don't leave the country......
Old 15 Jan 2016, 21:38 (Ref:3605213)   #1922
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
........ Don't leave the country......
no chance - firmly ensconced indoors, making marmalade and watching Dubai 24 hrs :-)
Old 16 Jan 2016, 06:28 (Ref:3605274)   #1923
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
no chance - firmly ensconced indoors, making marmalade and watching Dubai 24 hrs :-)
Mmm, Marmalade- now there's a worthwhile winter project!

BTW If you know why the leading Fezza and Ginetta took each other out please PM me! And have you seen your mate yet on the coverage?
Old 16 Jan 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3605313)   #1924
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
latest: Team Praha are NOT invited to the next event at Mugello, Creventic have told them to sit that one out, due to avoidable accident that put the Ginetta driver in hospital with broken bones, not good. Well worded statement though, good to see a firm hand.
Old 16 Jan 2016, 12:18 (Ref:3605329)   #1925
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It says on Twitter "from next round on" which sounds like a permanent ban.