Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Apr 2012, 20:45 (Ref:3067635)   #1
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New/Upcoming GT3's ??

I could not decide where to put this post as the GT3 class is not unified under one championship so decided to make a new thread.

My question is about upcoming GT3 homologations and if anyone has any information on new manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon of this extremly popular class or more general GT3 discussion?

I have heard rumours of several including, if anyone could expand on their plans or add im sure it would make for interesting discussion.

Bentley (Continental GT3??) - mentioned in autosport

Hyundai Coupe GT3 - heard somethign about this but maybe as a local homologation for Australia?

Jaguar XKS GT3 - Emil Frey building or sponsoring such a car in Blancpain

Maserati Gran Turismo GT3 - News of this car being developed for GTOpen
Old 30 Apr 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3067651)   #2
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
think there's not much on the horizon, but many already there, just hope they keep the current cars competitive.

Perhaps Dodge will make a version of their Viper GT3 compatable and I guess someone, probably Callaway, will do the C7 'Vette when that comes around. Would love to see a version of that Maserati though, the road car's looks are fantastic.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3067671)   #3
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Only really the Bentley of the above is exciting and has the potential to be competitive.

We are definitely enjoying a golden generation of GT3 right now. I don't think it will ever be as good as this again.
Old 1 May 2012, 01:04 (Ref:3067704)   #4
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My vote for the maserati, If there is BMW z4 and Nissan GTR why not powerfull enough a Granturismo?.
Old 1 May 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3067706)   #5
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More rumors:
Peugeot RCZ GT3: Bruno Famin said there is a possibility of a RCZGT3 http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-10476.html
Lotus Evora GT3: Lotus wants to race Fia GT1 in 2013
http://www.motorpasionf1.com/fia-gt/...e-gt-para-2013

I wish to see the future Honda NSX in GT3 and the Lexus LFA too
Old 1 May 2012, 02:16 (Ref:3067712)   #6
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
With the homologation of a FWD road car (RCZ) into as a RWD car GT3 would reach new heights in stretching the rulebook.
Old 1 May 2012, 02:43 (Ref:3067715)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
With the homologation of a FWD road car (RCZ) into as a RWD car GT3 would reach new heights in stretching the rulebook.
Famin doesn't really say that an RCZ GT3 is coming, it's more that the interviewer pushes in that direction, but Famin immediately talks about VLN.
And then, a GT3 does not necessarily have to be RWD, look at the Audi TT-RS in VLN, it basically runs at a GT3 pace. Given a favourable BoP it probably could compete for race wins week in week out.
Old 1 May 2012, 05:22 (Ref:3067734)   #8
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
More rumors:
Peugeot RCZ GT3: Bruno Famin said there is a possibility of a RCZGT3 http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-10476.html

Same here! Of course, I want Ford to develop a GT3 car too... Maybe a Mustang would be used as a stopgap GT3 car before developing the next generation Ford GT in the future. That's what I've hope for.
Old 1 May 2012, 05:35 (Ref:3067737)   #9
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Famin doesn't really say that an RCZ GT3 is coming, it's more that the interviewer pushes in that direction, but Famin immediately talks about VLN.
And then, a GT3 does not necessarily have to be RWD, look at the Audi TT-RS in VLN, it basically runs at a GT3 pace. Given a favourable BoP it probably could compete for race wins week in week out.
From a financial or, competition perspective it makes sense.

They can maintain some form of competitive presence against Audi (and, multiple other marques) via this route, and for a fraction of the budget necessary to compete (with a factory presence) elsewhere. I'd really like to see it happen.
Old 1 May 2012, 10:18 (Ref:3067805)   #10
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
More rumors:

Would be interesting to see the RCZ, part of the appeal of GT3 for manufacturers is a wide range of cars can be made to fit the regs. Saying that as good as the Chevrolet Camero and Ford Mustang look i dont feel they capture the spirit of 'GT' cars there not sportscars there muscle cars.

That lotus link looks pretty dubious but would be good to see a lotus GT3

A Honda NSX GT3 is what i would also really like to see but according to autosport they are more likely looking at GT2(GTE).

After doing a bit more digging about the Bentley, Maserati and Jaguar i think only the Bentley would be a manufacturer built car, the other two would be built by private teams...
Old 1 May 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3067812)   #11
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Certainly Bentley's MD/CEO implied he wanted to race something. LM24 was pretty much rulled out, but GT seemed to be his target. I started a thread based on an interview in Motor magazine, about a year back?

I don't see Ford building a GT replacement anytime soon...

I am intrigued by the thought of a GT3 with FWD. It's not barred in the rules, and I don't see why, fundamentally, it shouldn't work, and work well.

I'd be surprised if Jag DID go GT3, TBH. The Apex XK-rs never had much factory support, the VLN XK-F is a pure private venture...
Old 1 May 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3067813)   #12
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think a lot of manufacturers will be waiting to see what becomes of the GTE regs so they can make a more informed decision about which way to go. The NSX is a case in point.
Old 1 May 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3067817)   #13
LeManske
Rookie

Belgium
LeManske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Same here! Of course, I want Ford to develop a GT3 car too... Maybe a Mustang would be used as a stopgap GT3 car before developing the next generation Ford GT in the future. That's what I've hope for.
Both exist! But both projects never had backing from the factory and probably never will. Lambda now runs the GT-program in ADAC GT and MARC VDS build a Mustang a couple of years ago. Never raced it properly because they said it was a dinosaur compaired to modern GT3's, which is sad because it was a beautiful car!!!

Maserati MC3 GT3 exists, is updated version of trofeo car build by Swiss Team (article in dutch)
Lotus Evora, we will probably see next year, maybe even this year
But what about Jaguar, I heard a rumor we might see a Jag in the next BES round.
Personally I would love to see Morgan back, had a thing for that little car...
Old 1 May 2012, 11:26 (Ref:3067821)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post

I'd be surprised if Jag DID go GT3, TBH. The Apex XK-rs never had much factory support
It would be good to see a jag gt3 but let's face it the Apex car never really performed that we'll, sadly. Good in a straight line IIRC bjt slow in the twisty stuff.
Old 1 May 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3067840)   #15
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
I'd be surprised if Jag DID go GT3, TBH. The Apex XK-rs never had much factory support, the VLN XK-F is a pure private venture...
"Jag" isn't, but "A Jag" is, supposedly will debut in BES at Silverstone or Spa, another private venture. Will be there to see it either way!

Cheers for the Maserati pic, looks a bit cumbersome but nice to have some more variety.
Old 1 May 2012, 14:19 (Ref:3067889)   #16
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Why don't we cut right to it. Bentley, Lotus and the Viper are the safest bets.
Old 1 May 2012, 14:51 (Ref:3067902)   #17
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
None of which are safe bets.
Old 1 May 2012, 15:10 (Ref:3067905)   #18
morningview66
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
None of which are safe bets.
Hahaha

And this is why we have a discussions thread :P

Out of all of them, im pretty sure the Jag and Maserati exist already but have been built by private ventures as mentioned before.

If i was to make a bet on what 'manufacturer' would be next to make a GT3 i would have to go with Bentley, but really thats just based on what i read in autosport (they have been known to be wrong in the past :P)
Old 1 May 2012, 15:22 (Ref:3067907)   #19
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
The last two Autosport stories regarding Bentley have basically been along the lines of: 'we want to go racing but we don't know where or with what car.'
Old 1 May 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3067915)   #20
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The last two Autosport stories regarding Bentley have basically been along the lines of: 'we want to go racing but we don't know where or with what car.'
The Bentley Continental weights the best part of two and a half tons. It's going to have to go on one hell of a diet to stand even the slightest chance of being a remotely competitive GT3 car.
Old 1 May 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3067920)   #21
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeone View Post
The Bentley Continental weights the best part of two and a half tons. It's going to have to go on one hell of a diet to stand even the slightest chance of being a remotely competitive GT3 car.
Exactly. They have a dilemma in having the desire to race but not the equipment to do so.

They need some radical new GT1 regs to be thought up. Or if Audi did go to F1 maybe they could come back to LMPs alongside Porsche. Who knows?
Old 1 May 2012, 15:49 (Ref:3067921)   #22
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spyker said they wanted to make a C8 Aileron GT3 (and GTE). But I guess they have no money again and of course the Saab adventure interfered.

It's a shame that the Morgan GT3 is not racing anymore.
Old 1 May 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3067927)   #23
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeone View Post
Well if adjustments won't do it, maybe they should sign up for VLN and ask ADAC whether they could skip the Nordscheife loop altogether, and just do the GP circuit & still get scored normally in timings
Old 1 May 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3067939)   #24
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
Spyker said they wanted to make a C8 Aileron GT3 (and GTE). But I guess they have no money again and of course the Saab adventure interfered.

It's a shame that the Morgan GT3 is not racing anymore.
Sad thing to say... If only these two companies are backed by billionaires so that they could make GT3 race cars!

BTW, I'm hoping Mazda plans to make a RX-7 successor so that it can race in GT3?