Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Dec 2001, 12:21 (Ref:189888)   #1
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nurburgring

Has anyone got any pictures of the old Nurburgring, including the Sudschleife?

Also what was the Sudschleife used for and when was it abandoned?
Old 27 Dec 2001, 14:42 (Ref:189951)   #2
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul: try the Nurburgring Fanproject - Anglo-German site, includes Forum etc - they should be able to help.

http://www.nurburgring.de/

I'll look out what I've got on the Sudschleife (not much!)
Old 27 Dec 2001, 21:49 (Ref:190129)   #3
f1master
Rookie

f1master should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looking for südschleife pics???
visit ben lovejoy's ring fanpage:
www.nurburgring.org.uk

or directly to the südschleife page:
http://www.marvin.co.uk/benlovejoy/n...dschleife.html
Old 29 Dec 2001, 01:40 (Ref:190775)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For one thing, the Sudschleiffe was used for the 1960 German GP...

And there were races that used both circuits together...
Old 2 Jan 2002, 19:53 (Ref:192867)   #5
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sudschleife was, I belive, used for several German motorcycle GPs, right up to the end of the 1970s and the building of the new circuit. I belive that a (very) small section of it exists today outside the current circuits perimeter.
Old 2 Jan 2002, 22:38 (Ref:192986)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, probably a part of the current parking lot...
Old 3 Jan 2002, 20:11 (Ref:193425)   #7
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, and I also seem to recall a photo in F1 News from about 1994 which showed an overgrown section which looked just like a country lane but the magazine claimed was in fact part of the Sudschleife.
Old 4 Jan 2002, 22:42 (Ref:194083)   #8
Barry Boor
Rookie

Barry Boor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my usual aggravatingly pedantic way, I notice something on Ben Lovejoy's site that I was never aware of before.

I always thought that the first corner on the Sudschleife was the first bit of the South Curve, and then the road just kept going straight as the South Curve turned into its right-handed section. Not so, apparently. The first corner seems to be just before the South Curve.

You learn something new every day, t'ydi?
Old 26 Nov 2002, 15:35 (Ref:437270)   #9
laurensdejong
Rookie

laurensdejong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only blundered into this forum today, so I'm a bit late replying to this. However.

Barry, you were right before and after reading Ben's website. The Südkehre was rebuilt during the 1970/1971 reconstruction of the Nürburgring. Here's before

and after

pictures of the Südkehre and entrance to the Südschleife.

Even longer ago, the Südschleife did not cross under the regional road south of the Südkehre. Instead, it went over a smaller, local road. Compare these two sketches.

This picture shows the beginning of the Südschleife when it still crossed over a bridge:

Old 26 Nov 2002, 16:49 (Ref:437318)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for that, lovely pictures there and some interesting information, anymore would still be appreciated, I find this circuit and its history absolutely fascinating!
Old 26 Nov 2002, 17:40 (Ref:437368)   #11
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul,

Most of the Suedschleife still exists today. Road number K72. About 60% of what still exists is public road and the remainder is used as access to the car parks for the GP circuit.

I've got a bit of video of this section on my website.
http://www.elise-s160.co.uk/nuerburgring.htm

There are also a few in-car laps of the Nordscheife there as well.

Mark
Old 26 Nov 2002, 17:44 (Ref:437372)   #12
klaus
Rookie

klaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Südschleife was used still in the seventies, but the lack of savety-areals caused the dying of this part of the old Ring. Can you imagine, that Interserie monsters with 800bhp were pushed through the numerous bends of this only 8meter wide track? but is was.
I can´t remember the track going over the main-road. The picture above shows the entrance to the southern loop at the sixties, where the bikes going downwards under the bridge, from which the picture obviously is taken.with the moderizing of the northern loop, the entrance to the Südschleife was set backwards before the Südkurve.
today there are some remains of this track, some miles are regular streets (the first part going to the bottom of the Track at village Müllenbach), some original sections are still to visit, a bit overgrown by gras, leading upwards. they give an impression of the narrowness , which comes a bit more impressive by the old original hedges, now grown to adult trees, but still in row, as they were planted decades ago.
once a year, a famous histocic rallye uses this original section as a stage, bringing back some remeberings .
In the pages of Richard Kunze there is a video, taken in late seventies, going Südschleife in a private car.
Old 26 Nov 2002, 23:53 (Ref:437598)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am soon going to start a project on the abandoned circuits of Europe it will include the south circuit, Brno, Brooklands, Crystal Palace, Donnington, Mettet, Spa, Zeltweg, Rhiems - Guex, Monthelry (spelling!), Brussels, Mille Miglia etc. Similiar to the track tests in motorsport but not exactly the same. I intend to visit all the circuits next summer in a month trip around in my two seater special, Theres a lot of south circuit left.
Old 27 Nov 2002, 21:23 (Ref:438243)   #14
M Coupe
Racer

ss,

I visited some circuits in Belgium on the way back from the ring in September.

Pictures are HERE

Video lap of Mettet HERE This is the current circuit.

I did drive around and video the upper triangle part which isn't used any more but there are a number of barriers I had to drive around to do so. The circuit is still in use and as you will see on the video they are adding another chicane.

Video lap of Chimay HERE

Unfortunatly the local police were doing spot checks just next to the old pit building which you can see on the main page, so driving past with no rear view mirror and a video camera running probably wasn't a good move . This circuit must have been really FAST. There is also a new circuit which they use for historic racing, which uses the same part as the police were carrying out stop checks, so similarly driving past too often could have caused a problem as my car isn't exactly subtle. Just before the end you can see the new circuit joining from the right. The circuit turns right at the end and heads down the hill through a few curves before passing the pit building and the point where the video started.

Pictures from a visit to Brooklands with a car club HERE

Also Monthelery (I don't know how it's spelt either) near paris is an Industry proving ground and not open to the public. I've done Rhiems in the past but no pictures, and plan on trying to visit the Brussels circuit next year on the way to the ring. Also been round some of the old Crystal Palace track.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 00:35 (Ref:438369)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have already seen your site! exellent one!, was going to contact you anyway, I've done the crystal palace track rather extensivley for obvious reasons. Yes a yellow lotus aint subtle so I intend to use a silver clan based special!
the paris track that begins with mont... is not open to the public but using a few contacts I'm sure I can get a good run around it. Have done Brussels on foot (or at least some of it) done Brno (another dodgy one to spell, the circuits actually called the masaryk ring), Mille Miglia and Targa florio are big chunks of the project that I'm looking forward to doing. I would like for a few to tag along as company on this trip so bear it in mind.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 01:06 (Ref:438380)   #16
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How hold on a moment... I think some people have got the Südschliefe confused with the pit loop!

The pit loop was a pair of parallel roads, with a turnaround at each end. South of _that_ was the Südschliefe. The pit loop connected the Nordschliefe and the Südschliefe, providing the pit and garage facilities for both tracks, _and_ allowing all three sections of the Nurburgring to be linked together.

Often in races on the Nordschliefe or on the full circuit, the Südschliefe would be used for warm-up and caution laps, as a warm-up lap on the Nordschliefe could take half an hour!

M Coupe, you _had_ to go and mention Montlhéry... One of my favorite abandoned tracks... An undulating 7-mile blast through the French countryside.
Attached Thumbnails
sudschleife-map.gif  
Old 28 Nov 2002, 15:05 (Ref:438742)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
no I think they were talking about hte start of the sud where it leaves the pit loop.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 18:04 (Ref:438876)   #18
M Coupe
Racer

Lee,

I think the 7 mile blast you are thinking about is Clermont-Ferrand. Montlhery is a banked circuit, with a bit of road course.

Also, never heard of the Sudschleife being used for warm up laps etc. On race weekends the northern bend on the pit loop was opened and a car would do a loop around there so they could carry out a proper flying lap without having to do the 14miles as an out lap.

ss,

On the last europe trip I had planned to also visit Grenzlandring in Germany. This is at the town of Wegberg south of Monchengladbach, the road still uses the circuit name on the Michelin maps, but the weather was good and the ring was open .
Another to look at is Schotten, NE of Frankfurt. There is also a huge circuit at Usingen to Weilberg NW of Frankfurt, this was used in the 1920's.
The GEL MOTORSPORT pages are excellent for circuit histories.

I've also spent weeks on the onl Miramas GP circuit in the South of France, but as I no longer work for BMW that's out of bounds. But it was a boring flat oval.

Mark
Old 28 Nov 2002, 18:54 (Ref:438912)   #19
Barry Boor
Rookie

Quote:
"Montlhery is a banked circuit, with a bit of road course."

Seven point seven miles of Grand Prix circuit is hardly "a bit of road course" I would have thought.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:24 (Ref:438934)   #20
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Germany calling! this trip could take a lot of fuji 800!
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:52 (Ref:438968)   #21
M Coupe
Racer

Barry,

It wasn't until I relooked at the GEL site I realised it was as long, (It's been a while since I played Spirit of Speed). There is a current based road site which is quite a bit shorter.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 28 Nov 2002, 19:56 (Ref:438973)   #22
Barry Boor
Rookie

I have Spirit of Speed, but I have never managed to make my steering wheel work properly. Your post has made me determined to have another go, despite the fact that the game is rubbished by all and sundry.
Old 28 Nov 2002, 21:20 (Ref:439034)   #23
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
never played the game - wish I had. This trip seems to be getting ever longer!!!
Old 29 Nov 2002, 01:17 (Ref:439121)   #24
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by M Coupe
Lee,

I think the 7 mile blast you are thinking about is Clermont-Ferrand. Montlhery is a banked circuit, with a bit of road course.

Also, never heard of the Sudschleife being used for warm up laps etc. On race weekends the northern bend on the pit loop was opened and a car would do a loop around there so they could carry out a proper flying lap without having to do the 14miles as an out lap.
Nope, this is the Linas-Montlhéry GP circuit... Disused but still in tact. 7.7 miles.

Clermont-Ferrand was a great track too, but couldn't be called a blast... That track threw you in every direction possible, like a mini Nordscleife.

I've read in several books and websites about the warm-up laps on the Südscheife. I'm not sure, but what you're describing sounds more like the qualifying procedure.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 17:03 (Ref:439495)   #25
M Coupe
Racer

Barry,

The game isn't very good, but you do get the chance to have a blast round all these tracks. I do enjoy flying round Brooklands.

Lee,

It was the undulating comment that threw me, IIRC (from SOS) it's quite flat, whereas, as you say Clermont Ferrand is very UN-flat I remember reading that some drivers felt physically sick after a few laps there, my kind of track.

Mark

Note to myself, Must visit Clermont Ferrand!!

Colin McRae 1968-2007