Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Feb 2010, 10:57 (Ref:2641883)   #1
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyres for a D Type Replica

Hello,

We are putting a D type replica back on the track which has not raced since 2006.

There is a number of items to renew, seat belts, fire extinguisher etc but we would like some assistance with tyres.

It currently sits on ten year old Yokohama 225 x 60 x 15 008's and have spoken to Adams & Page and there is A032's available in that size.

Any suggestions ?

Steve
Old 28 Feb 2010, 11:06 (Ref:2641886)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
A032s are probably your best bet although you can get Toyo 888s but they only come in 50 profile in 15 inch size which makes the car sit very low, OK if you are not concerned with ground clearance.
If you were to invest in some 16 inch wheels you can get the circumference somewhere near the 15 inch Yokos with Toyos.

Which car have you got?
Old 28 Feb 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2641892)   #3
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
Hello Tim,

It is Ron Lea's car that was built in 1997, just as it was finished Ron had his stroke and was unable to race it.

Over the years it has been raced but not since 2006.

It's a big change for me as I've recently raced with the CSCC with a MGF Cup Car and 205 GTi.

We are going to Snetterton on March 25th (CSCC) to give the car and driver a test and will be out in the JEC Powered by Jaguar series.

I've seen your name on some of last years results sheets where do you intend racing this year.

Steve
Old 28 Feb 2010, 12:19 (Ref:2641923)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
That's the one with the supercharged AJ6 engine isn't it. I didn't realise it was that new, I first saw it in 98 at Donington.
I'm out mainly in the Thoroughbred sportscar championship and maybe one or two races with the SRGTC series. I was going to do some JEC powered by races but they still get tagged on to the CSCC Sports vs Saloon which is the last race of the day and while everyone else in the race is getting it as a second race at £95 we pay full price and don't have the choice of a second race.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2641976)   #5
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
Hi,

Yes the Powered by Jaguar isn't ideal as its always going to be last race of the day.

I wasn't aware of the SR & GT series until the other day and the Thoroughbred Sports Cars with the MGCC is another option.

No firm decesion has been made as yet I'll keep you posted.

It does have the AJ6 supercharged engine (standard tune) does yours have the XK engine.

Steve
Old 28 Feb 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2642031)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mine does have a standard 4.2 S3 lump in it. Unfortunately you are pretty limited as you have a supercharger which the SRGTC won't allow and not sure about the Thoroughbreds due to the fuel injection type and again possibly the supercharger.

It'll be nice to see the car racing again though and it might be worth me registering with the JEC as I think there is at least one other D and a Lister going out this year.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2642035)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
replica Dunlop 'L's ?
Old 28 Feb 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2642089)   #8
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
Hi,

I've just checked the SR & GT regs and forced induction is a definite no, I've emailed the Thoroughbred Sports Cars Championship with the same question.

I understand there is another D Type replica intending to race with the JEC this year.

Probably find out more at Race Retro.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Jag D Type.jpg  
Old 28 Feb 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2642200)   #9
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Steve
for my sins I am the current Jaguar rep for the Thoroughbred race series. If you want to PM me with the cars spec I could advise if it is eligible.

As far as tyres go the yoko 032's take some beating on 15 " rims if you fit 888 because of the smaller diameter you will run out of revs at most tracks .
regards Jerry
Old 1 Mar 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2642982)   #10
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
Thanks for the email Jerry,

We will start with a CSCC test day at Snetterton (25/03) followed by the Powered By Jaguar race at Snetterton on April 10/11.

Many thanks too all for the help.

Steve