Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Apr 2001, 14:08 (Ref:84735)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
over the past few years I have noticed a decline in the amount of on track activities during V8 supercar events.

when I first started attending meetings there was loads of events..from Formula vee and Formula ford to formula Brabham/Holden and Sports sedans and even the occasional mini race and of course the mighty HQ Holdens.

but for some reason the amount of events has dropped and I really dont think that the everyday race fan wants that ..they want to see more racing and of any class.

what kind of support events at v8's would you like to see?

i'll watch anything F Fords/Vee's, under 2 litre sports sedans and of course the big sports sedans ..when i went to Winton last year there was nothing except v8's,Mirages and Formula Holden ..there may have been one more but I cant remember ..are AVESCO or TEGA or whoever claims to be in charge thinking that they are unbeatable and dont need supporting classes?

what do you want to see racing at V8 events?
Old 25 Apr 2001, 21:26 (Ref:85026)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must agree with you, marcus. The HQ's were always a support event. I think AVESCO or whoever is control only want big name support events. My dream support calendar would be as follows:

-------------------
Formula Ford
Formula Holden
Sports Sedans
Formula 3
Historics
HQ Holdens
Old 25 Apr 2001, 22:48 (Ref:85062)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Conspiracy theory- Avesco wouldn't want to have any classes on that have better racing than their product....

The way things are these days, the V8s are wanting so much of the track time (VB Challenge, and 10-15 before each race with the on-grid ceromonies and farting about, plus then the longer races, event the top 15 shoot out) that the support categories have less and less time, and often get cut, so that the V8s can fit to their schedule. It's sad that they dont let the local classes onto the big programs, and it is killing off state level motorsport....and that's sad
Old 26 Apr 2001, 00:09 (Ref:85080)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's more to the whole business than that... AVESCO have CAMS by the proverbials, and they are taking a path that promises to emaciate racing that isn't of their making.

The HRR Newsletter (available at the paltry cost of $20 for eight issues) regularly carries Bruce Polain's interpretations of what the CAMS are currently doing to ruin motor sport in Australia... most of it has to do with their dealings with AVESCO.

Hmmm... that was a plug...
Old 26 Apr 2001, 10:17 (Ref:85224)   #5
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with you on the lack of support races on the program these days. I would rather go to a club meeting and see 15 - 20 races in a day and have the freedom to wonder around where ever you want. If you put all the races on a V8 meeting on a club day the day would be over at lunch time.

i think the other problem is that a lot of catagories or competitors dont want to be a part of the V8 rounds as the entry fee is 2 - 3 times higher for a V8 meet than it is for a club meet and you only end up with a coulpe of 6-8 lap races (if you are not taken off the program due to the meeting running late for tv), where as at a club day you can probably end up doing atleast 20 laps for less money.

Conspiracy theory- I totally agree. Could you imagine a full feild of Improved Production cars or sports sedans coming on just before a V8 race. What an anti climax

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either