Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Apr 2001, 11:48 (Ref:85239)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now who does Mr Cochrane think he is? Adelaide is now bigger than Bathurst....what a heap of ********.

Which event do you think will be bigger in the long run? Mr Cochrane and Crennan think Adelaide...

Also, do you think the championship will become more important than Bathurst??
Old 26 Apr 2001, 12:06 (Ref:85248)   #2
Troy
Racer

Troy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most important race: BATHURST. As much as I like Adelaide, Bathurst is the biggest race of the V8 Supercar or any motorsport category in Australia to win. If it wasn't for Bathurst would Australian motorsport in general be where it is today? IMO to win at Bathurst is the highest achivement in Australian motosport.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 12:18 (Ref:85252)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bathurst is the bigger race, Adelaide is the bigger event.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 12:41 (Ref:85258)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They get more money out of the Government in Adelaide...

That's the real issue, I think you'll find... and the reason they go to Darwin, too.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 14:56 (Ref:85298)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Bathurst is the best race of the year ..but Adelaide would probably come in 2nd...they are 2 seperate things and to win Adelaide would be great but to win bathurst is the ultimate goal.

Tony says some strange things sometimes ..allthough the interview with "Foges" was interesting...and of course he has done alot for the sport and really helped it to where it is today..but to the public the bathurst event will always be the best.
Old 26 Apr 2001, 15:42 (Ref:85320)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
...and of course he has done alot for the sport and really helped it to where it is today..
Seeing as AVESCO is dedicated to the ideal of crushing every other form of racing in Australia, I don't think this is quite true...

What he has helped do (and I think his part has been more that of a bit-player, no matter how significant) has been to create a situation where there is ample money for people to run competitive cars in this class, and where the promoters need them to get an annual profit.

Just ask the organisers at Wanneroo where they stand with AVESCO, their demands and determinations. And Lakeside... look at where they are now (though to a small degree they were a part of the making of their own problems)...

Do AVESCO care that the WASCC borrow money each year to upgrade to suit AVESCO's demands, and rely on the following year's ATCC profits to repay the money? If they really did approach the WA Government about a street race, well that answers the question for you..

If Wanneroo goes under because such an event takes place, where will true motor racing in WA go to survive?

At the moment Queensland is seeing an increase in competitors... a natural thing in the wake of the opening of Qld Raceway, despite its own lack of appeal, which gives a variety of circuits to the competitors for the first time in 16 years or so.

But if Lakeside goes under, that will leave Queenslanders with just the Willowbank disaster... and I don't see many of the regulars keeping on going if that's the scenario.

Please, then, don't try to tell me Cochrane has done anything for the sport... and if 'Foges' is Mark Fogarty... well, enough said!
Old 26 Apr 2001, 21:57 (Ref:85492)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst. It is like the Indy 500 in America - it will always be the best. Adelaide is a big event, but has no history, and therefore will NEVER overtake Bathurst as V8 Supercars most prestigous event.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 01:21 (Ref:85599)   #8
Kartracer
Rookie

Kartracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of the drivers have dreamed about winning Bathurst since they were kids.It is on the BEST track in Australia and one of the top 5 on the planet!!
Bathurst is so big they have to have a few championship races AFTER this HUGE EVENT so that the winner of the championship (If different to the race winner as has been the case) could get some attention.
Ask a non motorracing person (of make of car)who won the SCS and they don't know but ask who won Bathurst and 8/10 give the answer.
IMHO Adelaide is a joke. I liked the idea of how it was first put forward. A 500KM broken into two legs and if you finished Saturday,say, 4 laps down, then on Sunday you started 4 laps down. To run nowhere on Saturday and then win on Sunday and be called "the winner of the Adelaide 500" is bull#hi* !!!!
Old 27 Apr 2001, 15:34 (Ref:85814)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ray ..i take your points on board and accept them well..ok maybe i shouldnt have said "sport" in general.

sure the points you have mentioned are very true and it is not an ideal situation..what i meant was look where V8 supercars are today..now i know you are not a huge fan of these cars and prefer the club level of competition..but the fact remains they are the most popular class in Australia at present..if that happens to change then so be it but right now people talk about the V8's before most other classes of racing.

the class is booming ..well we now have 2 series of v8's and even a pre qualifying situation..allthough this is totally stupid.

most of this success comes because of the involvement of this group..they have made a better TV package , more revenue for the teams and just basically lifted the standard of the "CLASS" to the highest level I think it has ever been.

I think mr Cochrane is an asset to v8 racing but as you have so rightly pointed a big detriment to just about ever other series.

I dont want to see tracks like Wanneroo or lakeside and heavens forbid Winton dissapear because of one class alledgedly outgrowing them and I know that the goverment isnt going to hand money over to any little race track that wants it to upgrade their facilities..so yes your points are very valid and maybe they need to work out a way for these tracks to gain money in some way..without hurting us the spectators by raising ticket prices..i dont know what the answer is but Im sure someone around here does
Old 27 Apr 2001, 16:24 (Ref:85825)   #10
Ray Bell
Veteran

The only reason it might appear that I prefer 'club level' racing is that the major classes in Australian motor racing have been demoted to that by the Touring Car people!

Where I came from, the Gold Star was the top racing, the main series of the year. There was the ATT for Sports Racing cars, somewhat wilder cars, often faster than the ANF1 models, but still subordinate to them. Touring cars were at the bottom of the pecking order.

Big meetings, however, had big races for all of them. With the main race rotating between the categories...

For instance, Warwick Farm had the Tasman race in February, with a ten lapper for Sports Cars, a ten lapper for Tourers and other minor races. In May they featured the Sports Cars with the RAC Trophy race over 23 laps, with a ten lapper for openwheelers (or maybe just a F2 race... which was all quality) and the same for tourers.

July saw the AJC Trophy for Tourers as the main event, usually a round of the ATCC and supported by a mix of racing and sports car races, including perhaps a 15 lapper for the top openwheelers.

September was different again, a lot of shorter races, maybe a feature for Sports Sedans, then the Hordern Trophy came in December with the open wheelers at the head of the list and a full support cast in minor races.

This was typical, and you'll see that if you go back through some old Winton and Hume Weir programmes, from the early seventies back. The Riverina Cup and so on.

Now we have some fantastic cars racing in this country, and they're hidden away in little race meetings that aren't even televised. And because I neither buy the weekly/fortnightly magazines or go to race meetings (my circumstances preclude this at the moment), I know nothing about what's going on unless I chase up the information somewhere. I was quite surprised recently to learn that there's a whole bunch of people running in International F3 here!

But I knew that Ian Luff (or some other similar type) runs a Daewoo (or is it Hyundai) series... it's on Speedweek!

How I wish I could post the stories Bruce Polain publishes in the HRR Newsletter... you'd be amazed at the incompetence that hides behind the fancy badges of the CAMS!

I might talk to Bruce and Craig about getting them into Parc Ferme some time...

Last edited by Ray Bell; 27 Apr 2001 at 16:29.
Old 27 Apr 2001, 23:24 (Ref:86065)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ray- Don't startme on the "democracy" that is CAMS....i think we're all going to hear an awful lot about their ruling on sequential gearboxes in Sports Sedans...
Old 27 Apr 2001, 23:37 (Ref:86072)   #12
WheelMan
Rookie

WheelMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

To me,Adelaide and its politicos lost all credibility when they shafted ALMS.

As for Adelaide versus Bathurst.Gimme a break.
Would you compare the Isle of Man with a round of the British superbike champs?