Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Feb 2010, 13:14 (Ref:2637005)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
helmet question...

Looking at the MSA website I cannot work out if my helmet is ok for 2010. The website says SA2000 is ok but mine just says SA00. For uk rounds like HSCC and Masters will SA00 be ok? I have checked the helmet and I cannot find any other code - Its an Arai
Old 20 Feb 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2637111)   #2
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Looking at the MSA website I cannot work out if my helmet is ok for 2010. The website says SA2000 is ok but mine just says SA00. For uk rounds like HSCC and Masters will SA00 be ok? I have checked the helmet and I cannot find any other code - Its an Arai
If you look in the Blue Book, page 178 (2010 version) shows which labels are valid. Snell SA2000 is still valid although in the 2009 book it said this may be withdrawn w.e.f. 1st Jan 2010. The date has now been revised to Jan 2011 - and it still say "may be withdrawn". You should be OK as effectively everything is the same as last year
Old 20 Feb 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2637136)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So is SA00 the same as SA2000?
Old 20 Feb 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2637147)   #4
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simon

My Bell open face is ticketed SA2000, but in US these are generally referred to as SA00 by retailers. Your helmet may be ticketed SA00 if originally intended for US market. Should be ok for 2010, however, for the sake of good order ask a friendly scrutineer.

Quote:
So is SA00 the same as SA2000?
Old 20 Feb 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2637155)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If you raced OK last year with this helmet then it shouldn't be any different this year. SA2000 is still OK for the coming season at least.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2637161)   #6
simon drabble
Veteran

Perfect - thanks for your help. Given I thought my suit and helmet were going to need replacing and neither do, I have (along with Nat A downgrade) saved myself a load of money!
Old 20 Feb 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2637228)   #7
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just been talking to a man in the know and he said some historic racers were running with 1986 spec overalls and blue label 6658 helmets last year and these won't be accepted this year. Nothing to do with yours I'm sure Simon but others may need to be forwarned.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2637496)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Max will be on to you for a proper suit in due course simon, something retro looking with a cigar pocket, and a fireproof velcro patch for quick change marque badgees
Old 21 Feb 2010, 11:36 (Ref:2637587)   #9
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>>Given I thought my suit and helmet were going to need replacing and neither do

Honestly the way these city types behave........we buy their champagne and cigars, why not pass it on to the poor honest working man trying to eke a living?

Come and see me at Race Retro Simon (stand A2 Hall 2) and we'll try and persuade you otherwise

Last edited by midgetman; 21 Feb 2010 at 11:42. Reason: Speeling
Old 21 Feb 2010, 11:43 (Ref:2637595)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko View Post
Just been talking to a man in the know and he said some historic racers were running with 1986 spec overalls and blue label 6658 helmets last year and these won't be accepted this year. Nothing to do with yours I'm sure Simon but others may need to be forwarned.
Cool
Old 21 Feb 2010, 12:06 (Ref:2637612)   #11
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Cool
. I need a new FIA suit so i will find you out at the show.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2637699)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Max doe's a nice line in White Iain.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2637722)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I could bye a white suit but it sure would not stay that colour for long. Hence have always had dark blue or black suits.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2637731)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I could bye a white suit but it sure would not stay that colour for long. Hence have always had dark blue or black suits.
A suit manufacturer suggested to me black showed some dirt as much as light colours? (Think black cars....)

Iain, think you need to differentiate between your driver overalls and engineer overalls!
Old 21 Feb 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2637743)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I think Max doe's a nice line in White Iain.
he does a good line in blue with red stripes if you ask nicely, I'm amazed mines still so clean, its actually started to fade!
Old 21 Feb 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2637861)   #16
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Trouble with me is when I'm about to get in the race car all togged up some one will come by with a problem then before you know it I'm on the floor covered in. "you know what"./ Yep oil!!!!!.Spa last year i was strapped in the car ready to go then fellow competitor had his gear box in bits and asking for help. What do you do.. Whats more annoying he even beat me.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2639380)   #17
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say my last (pre-diet) suit was black - Maybe when I bought it 6 years ago, I thought it would be slimming....

Have to say, though, that having a black race suit seems to suck all heat out of the surrounding race circuit and focus it on your suit! Never sure why people in hot countries wear black......

Having lost 3.5 stone last year, I was able to re-queeze into the 'Goodwood suit' I bought in '05. Being off-white, it did seem a lot cooler. But then I guess I was working less hard to move my body!

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Old 24 Feb 2010, 12:19 (Ref:2639663)   #18
midgetman
Veteran

I know they're a lot of money, but if you do a lot of racing in hot climes then think about the latest lightweight breathable suits, they're terrific. Normally after 15 mins racing I have to hang my overalls up to dry/air, but after 15 mins in the Monty @ MG Live last year it was like I hadn't been exerting myself.

Mind you, haven't worn it at a draughty Snett in March ;-)
Old 24 Feb 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2639847)   #19
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
my suits always been a bit big so 3 layers and underwear means I retain coolness at all times

or put another way avoid Betty Swollock syndrome!