Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jan 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3353428)   #251
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Sounds like you might get full size Chevy trucks as well to compensate for the loss of the Ute.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 05:57 (Ref:3353717)   #252
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Making cars in Australia makes no sense, says GM man who closed Holden
Old 14 Jan 2014, 11:09 (Ref:3353775)   #253
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The North American Manaro

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...pe_first_look/

but it doesn't have a bow tie
Old 10 Feb 2014, 05:57 (Ref:3366323)   #254
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Ford, then Holden, and now Toyota will announce they are pulling all manufacturing out of Australia!!

Official announcement to be made in a few hours.

Old 7 Mar 2014, 00:51 (Ref:3375980)   #255
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sales of the Holden Commodore continued to surge in February, the first full month of sales since the brand’s local manufacturing closure announcement, tallying 2777 units (60.2 per cent up on February 2013) for a 51.7 per cent increase year to date.
Mazda 3, Corolla, i30 and VW Golf all solidly in the top 10.

No comment on where the Falcon is compared to Commodore on the sales charts, but only booking 549 units against the Commodore's 2777 for the month.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 01:42 (Ref:3375989)   #256
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Mazda 3, Corolla, i30 and VW Golf all solidly in the top 10.

No comment on where the Falcon is compared to Commodore on the sales charts, but only booking 549 units against the Commodore's 2777 for the month.
Given that VE2 was in run out in Feb 13, waiting for VF, and that Holden admitted at the time the runout/runin saw dealers short of stock of VE2, such a large % increase is likely no surprise...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Apr 2014, 00:28 (Ref:3387249)   #257
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Is this what Australians will be getting when holden closes?

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1226870651593
Old 1 Apr 2014, 01:36 (Ref:3387253)   #258
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Given that VE2 was in run out in Feb 13, waiting for VF, and that Holden admitted at the time the runout/runin saw dealers short of stock of VE2, such a large % increase is likely no surprise...
This is Falcon vs Commodore, so your comment isn't even relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Is this what Australians will be getting when holden closes?
Offtopic.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 04:00 (Ref:3423648)   #259
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
No more commodore after 2017:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...-1226959990764
Old 19 Jun 2014, 06:11 (Ref:3423657)   #260
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
More balanced article here from "drive" - Commodore name MAY be dropped after 2017: http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/h...619-zse6o.html
Old 19 Jun 2014, 22:50 (Ref:3424012)   #261
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmmmm...admirable
Old 19 Jun 2014, 23:22 (Ref:3424018)   #262
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the face of it I reckon General Motors would be mad to drop a Commodore name. Or do they fear a backlash from cynics who would not accept the European replacement as a Commodore?

At the end of the day probably won't make a lot of difference to sales as the faithful will buy anything that's got Holden badge regardless of its merits, witness Cruze.

VW buyers are repeat offenders even though the quality of the cars are appalling, in general.

Anyway, Holden buyers kept relatively faithful when the Kingswood was dropped for the European (sort of) replacement Commodore, even though the Commodore was too small.

The little bit of history repeating...
Old 19 Jun 2014, 23:49 (Ref:3424021)   #263
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe they will bring back the Kingswood
Old 20 Jun 2014, 03:23 (Ref:3424048)   #264
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're already selling the new Commodore, the Malibu. I think Holden (Chevrolet) think it's a cool funky name, but I hate it. I'm sure many others do too, so I'm sure come the next generation Malibu and the end of the line for the RWD Commodore, they will simply throw the Commodore badge on the Malibu and most people won't even register the change.

I'm interested to see what happens with Chevrolets projected RWD sports sedan platform that is to replace the Chevy SS and possibly, the peformance models of the Commodore. Realistically this is a better global plan, and probably should have been implemented at the end of the Opel Omega based VZ Commodore. Holden/GM shouldn't have sunk so much money into the VE development and instead focussed on ensuring they could manufacture locally in a competitive manner. Had they done this, they might have made 2020 before shutting down :P
Old 20 Jun 2014, 04:29 (Ref:3424061)   #265
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris - Melb View Post
On the face of it I reckon General Motors would be mad to drop a Commodore name. Or do they fear a backlash from cynics who would not accept the European replacement as a Commodore?

At the end of the day probably won't make a lot of difference to sales as the faithful will buy anything that's got Holden badge regardless of its merits, witness Cruze.

VW buyers are repeat offenders even though the quality of the cars are appalling, in general.

Anyway, Holden buyers kept relatively faithful when the Kingswood was dropped for the European (sort of) replacement Commodore, even though the Commodore was too small.

The little bit of history repeating...
Well many on here are probably too young to remember the VB Commodore , the VB Commodore was really just an "Opel Commodore" reworked for the Aussie market so the Commodore isn't just a Holden name in the automotive world.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 06:18 (Ref:3424071)   #266
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the much earlier Opel Commodore made a good looking race car:http://www.technischesmuseum.at/res/...0000286795.jpg

I guess we'll have to imagine what a Malibu would look like as a V8 Supercar. I can't say I'm all that keen on the Malibu name either.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 07:07 (Ref:3424082)   #267
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
Quote:
I think the much earlier Opel Commodore made a good looking race car:http://www.technischesmuseum.at/res/...0000286795.jpg

That looks good but is actually an "Opel Rekord" - I had seen a few in Australia back in the seventies , the "Vauxhall Victor" was a slightly changed Opel Rekord - Both companies are basket cases , Opel has lost a staggering $19billion in the past 15 years and people don't buy Vauxhalls because of their poor reputation and there is so much better out there , GM would dearly love to shut the doors permanently but the unions have screwed them !
Old 20 Jun 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3424128)   #268
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
That looks good but is actually an "Opel Rekord" - I had seen a few in Australia back in the seventies , the "Vauxhall Victor" was a slightly changed Opel Rekord - Both companies are basket cases , Opel has lost a staggering $19billion in the past 15 years and people don't buy Vauxhalls because of their poor reputation and there is so much better out there , GM would dearly love to shut the doors permanently but the unions have screwed them !
The Opel Rekord was the 4 cylinder, the Opel Commodore the 6 cylinder.

A lot of the loss of Opel does stem from terrible global management by GM. Opel created a new model range with the Insignia (which won European car of the year in 2009), new Astra, Corsa and Meriva. It had the potential to rebuild and grow into the emerging markets. Just as Opel was to grow, GM launched Chevrolet into the European market in a bigger way, and focussed Buick on the emerging Asian markets including China. Not to mention that half arsed launch of Opel in Australia and then the pull out within 12 months. This wasn't a failure of Opel, but of GM's overall plan. They are now re-realising Opel products as niche vehicles badged as holdens.

Overall GM is clawing it's way back in most markets and with most brands. As far as I can see, the only badge to lose money in 2013 was Holden.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3424169)   #269
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I'm interested to see what happens with Chevrolets projected RWD sports sedan platform that is to replace the Chevy SS and possibly, the peformance models of the Commodore. Realistically this is a better global plan, and probably should have been implemented at the end of the Opel Omega based VZ Commodore. Holden/GM shouldn't have sunk so much money into the VE development and instead focussed on ensuring they could manufacture locally in a competitive manner. Had they done this, they might have made 2020 before shutting down :P
Bear in mind though that the VE WAS GM's global RWD structure (Zeta platform) when it was developed so GMH actually did exactly what you suggest back then. The platform you're talking about is the current platform they've developed in the US and came along much later.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3424380)   #270
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
[QUOTE=mikuni;3424128]The Opel Rekord was the 4 cylinder, the Opel Commodore the 6 cylinder.

A lot of the loss of Opel does stem from terrible global management by GM. Opel created a new model range with the Insignia (which won European car of the year in 2009), new Astra, Corsa and Meriva. It had the potential to rebuild and grow into the emerging markets. Just as Opel was to grow, GM launched Chevrolet into the European market in a bigger way, and focussed Buick on the emerging Asian markets including China. Not to mention that half arsed launch of Opel in Australia and then the pull out within 12 months. This wasn't a failure of Opel, but of GM's overall plan. They are now re-realising Opel products as niche vehicles badged as holdens.

QUOTE] Re releasing the Opel badge as a niche brand in Australia is a bit of a joke as they are just regarded as a "bread and butter" manufacturer in European circles (even Fiat is more highly regarded) just the same as Vauxhalls in England
Old 22 Jun 2014, 06:14 (Ref:3424813)   #271
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
The Cruze is not a bad car - the NA engine is rubbish, the diesel average, but the petrol 1.4 turbo is fantastic. Cruze suffers from being in a very full, competitive class, and is competitive with cars like the i30 and others.

Quote:
1990 is calling and they want you back... VW Group brands are consistently high scorers in the JD Power listings, and apart from quality problems out of South Africa a couple of years ago (which hit the Ford Focus worse), and the 7-speed DSG issues (which only need a change of oil to fix), even VW's cheap brand Skoda scores well for quality and reliability. Not particularly relevant to this thread though...

Quote:
The Commodore turned out to be the right car at the right time, Ford downsized the Falcon too and even axed the V8 entirely. '79 saw a massive spike in fuel prices, so the VB was absolutely the right car at the right time. Even if the 4-cylinder was a horrible thing that should have been drowned at birth....

I am just not sure that people could embrace a Commodore that is FWD and not Australian made, I think it might be wiser to market a new name.

A Commodore is above a Captain but below a Rear Admiral. Dunno if that leaves any ideas there
Old 22 Jun 2014, 13:40 (Ref:3424929)   #272
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
A VW gearbox oil change fixing DSG issues?

I wonder why dealers have special bays in their workshops to slip gearboxes in and out in a hurry? I suppose you do get an oil change if they slip a new one in

Old 23 Jun 2014, 00:27 (Ref:3425130)   #273
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
A VW gearbox oil change fixing DSG issues
Try this mate:
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/vo...xes-71053.html

Quote:
Of the total 2.64 million, a massive 1.6 million vehicles cars will be fixed for the DSG problem. The solution VW has found is to change the synthetic oil in the DS200 automatic to a mineral one.

According to the official statement, synthetic oil is responsible for causing short circuiting. This problem is especially bad in countries with humid and hot environment and where stop and go traffic is seen. But VW wants to fix every DS200, no matter the location, to "continue to ensure customer satisfaction".
So synthetic oil has been causing all of the failures, mineral oil is a permanent long term fix, but enough damage may have been done to gearboxes to require replacement.

Also, only affects the 7-speed gearbox, has never affected the 6-speed.

Also interesting to note Ford's DCT has had precisely the same sort of faults and now has the same bad reputation, but no recall as yet...
Old 23 Jun 2014, 00:34 (Ref:3425135)   #274
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it's the box I'm thinking of, they have two seperate chambers for two very different oils. The gear oil for the transaxle is easily replaceable, but the oil for the DSG and wet clutch side of things is done as part of the assembly.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 01:05 (Ref:3425145)   #275
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
I like my old 4-speed T-bar transmission..........hasn't missed a beat.