Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jul 2014, 13:27 (Ref:3434479)   #26
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd_Dogg88 View Post
I believe Medius was responding to the question by saying that the other circuits on the calendar, which are in Britain, do not pay. I read that as not including Mondello, which is the same as Zanvoort, Spa etc.
All circuits pay a pretty hefty amount to have BTCC!
Old 13 Aug 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3443914)   #27
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Árón Smith renews his contract with BMR. He'll be there in 2015. If the car continues with it's current development (and isn't being made to look good due to TOCA's boost regs) then he may honestly be in for a top 5 points finish.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3443928)   #28
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good for both him and BMR that they've got these plans finalized so early already.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 10:25 (Ref:3443931)   #29
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm more and more impressed with that team as time goes by. First by signing up Menu and Smith. The car has improved over time. And now they have a full fleet of four VW's, and are already looking ahead to the future by resigning the very impressive Smith.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 13:18 (Ref:3443950)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I'm more and more impressed with that team as time goes by. First by signing up Menu and Smith. The car has improved over time. And now they have a full fleet of four VW's, and are already looking ahead to the future by resigning the very impressive Smith.
Indeed, very impressive. It'd be nice to VW GB give them a few bob to mount a title campaign next year.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 13:29 (Ref:3443953)   #31
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If they re-sign Menu I'd be even more impressed. However my instincts tell me that Gio and Menu probably won't be returning in 2015, but we shall see I guess.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3443957)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
However my instincts tell me that Gio and Menu probably won't be returning in 2015, but we shall see I guess.
I agree, I don't think either of them will be back. I'm not sure they've added a great deal to this year though. If any team has a budget for a seat, I kinda think it would be nice to see a young talented single seater refugee given a chance. Just a personal opinion.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 17:10 (Ref:3444011)   #33
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Indeed, very impressive. It'd be nice to VW GB give them a few bob to mount a title campaign next year.
not with a Vauxhall engine in it they wont !

Manufacturers are not that interested and they also are not needed, the series is doing fine without them spending silly money .Teams are managing to spend it without them

BMR have done a great Job and signing Aaron is a good move for consistency . At least they are running a car to the spirit of the regs not a hatchback thats too short ! maybe next year they will apply a rule that adds weight to cars under 4.4metres and take away weight from those over 4.4 .) then lets see how strong the cc is
Old 13 Aug 2014, 17:16 (Ref:3444012)   #34
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With MotoGP signing a 5-year deal with the Circuit of Wales to host the British round of the series from 2015 onwards, will BTCC sacrifice Brands Indy (or another round for that matter) to visit the new venue?
Old 13 Aug 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3444018)   #35
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
not with a Vauxhall engine in it they wont !

Manufacturers are not that interested and they also are not needed, the series is doing fine without them spending silly money .Teams are managing to spend it without them

BMR have done a great Job and signing Aaron is a good move for consistency . At least they are running a car to the spirit of the regs not a hatchback thats too short ! maybe next year they will apply a rule that adds weight to cars under 4.4metres and take away weight from those over 4.4 .) then lets see how strong the cc is
Ya very true... but Honda's the (sly) fox in the henhouse at the moment and, despite all the RWD complaining, has swept all before them in NGTC.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3444019)   #36
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Ya very true... but Honda's the (sly) fox in the henhouse at the moment and, despite all the RWD complaining, has swept all before them in NGTC.
they are now quite behind Ebay Motors in teams standings and only 5 points ahead in manufacturers

so they got a real battle on their hand....

wonder of Menu will stay with BMR and they can do proper pre season testing this time..
Old 13 Aug 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3444030)   #37
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
With MotoGP signing a 5-year deal with the Circuit of Wales to host the British round of the series from 2015 onwards, will BTCC sacrifice Brands Indy (or another round for that matter) to visit the new venue?
This would be the Circuit of Wales that hasn't even begun starting construction and has caused some political ructions in Wales regarding subsidies and politcal pressure would it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28778032

I can see this being a new Donington Formula 1 style fiasco so no change to the circuits currently being used.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3444034)   #38
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I was wondering if they'd actually started building the thing! Thanks for the info, and yes, that makes MotoGP look very naïve. I've heard a lot about the political pressures. Some are genuine, but some are just people not wanting to see change...
Old 13 Aug 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3444044)   #39
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A five-year deal has been signed to bring motorcycling's British MotoGP to Wales.
Quote:
Next year's event will take place elsewhere in Britain but it is hoped the circuit in Ebbw Vale will take on the remaining four years.
What a peculiar way to do that. Is it just me? So it's a four year contract, then. Anyway I think it would be great to see a new venue on the BTCC list. Not that there's anything wrong with the current calendar, of course (except Silverstone) - actually I can't think of much of a reason for them not to visit Wales, assuming the thing gets built at all.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3444055)   #40
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
What a peculiar way to do that. Is it just me? So it's a four year contract, then. Anyway I think it would be great to see a new venue on the BTCC list.
It's a 5-year deal. CoW will organise / promote the event even though it will be held at another venue for the first year.

Getting back onto topic, BTCC aren't going to go there until 2016 at the very earliest. That's assuming it ever actually gets built.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3444058)   #41
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone produces good support races due to slipstreaming, but the GP loop would have a similar lap time to the Snetterton 300 circuit, but would be faster.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3444065)   #42
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It's a 5-year deal. CoW will organise / promote the event even though it will be held at another venue for the first year.
Thanks. That wasn't clear in the article (to me, anyway )
Old 14 Aug 2014, 06:12 (Ref:3444134)   #43
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
they are now quite behind Ebay Motors in teams standings and only 5 points ahead in manufacturers

so they got a real battle on their hand....
Purely because they've been pegged back on boost. The Hondas are still the best on the brakes and around the twisty bits... and that's down to manufacturer money into chassis development. To be fair Alan Gow is abundantly aware of that and has done a good job to keep it in check this year.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 07:13 (Ref:3444149)   #44
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surely under TOCA regs, the new Honda tourer's couldn't be pegged back on boost until post-Brands Hatch, as they were new cars? It took a while for anything to happen to the MGs in 2012...
Old 14 Aug 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3444152)   #45
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Surely under TOCA regs, the new Honda tourer's couldn't be pegged back on boost until post-Brands Hatch, as they were new cars? It took a while for anything to happen to the MGs in 2012...
Weren't the equalization rules changed for 2014 ? To be honest I don't know what the boost levels of any of the cars are - it would be nice if we were told but that's another debate - but the Tourers are visibly slower on the straights and visibly better on the brakes and through the corners.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 08:10 (Ref:3444156)   #46
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Top teams also have a hand in developing/testing new parts ,that if proved for the good of costs or safety can be offered to the whole of the grid.
So say a team goes brake testing to try a different brake pad and it is effective then TOCA can approve it if they want.
Dynamics had no choice but to get the chassis spot on as the engine was always going to be the best on the grid, The Honda unit isnt even trying hard on the boost they run.
Its a shame really because its taking something from the racing on any circuits with higher top speeds.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3444180)   #47
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
The Top teams also have a hand in developing/testing new parts ,that if proved for the good of costs or safety can be offered to the whole of the grid.
So say a team goes brake testing to try a different brake pad and it is effective then TOCA can approve it if they want.
Dynamics had no choice but to get the chassis spot on as the engine was always going to be the best on the grid, The Honda unit isnt even trying hard on the boost they run.
Its a shame really because its taking something from the racing on any circuits with higher top speeds.
It's not a shame at all. As I said earlier, Honda is the manufacturer elephant in a room full of privateers. Nobody has close to the budget that Dynamics have, and left unchecked they would run away with every race in the series. As it is, a Honda has won every BTCC title since 2010. Alan Gow had no alternative but to peg them back and keep them pegged back.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 11:53 (Ref:3444215)   #48
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
It's not that TOCA are deliberately trying to hold Honda back. Boost adjustments are based on lap time not straight-line speed. Whilst they may be in the lower half of the speed trap table they are still consistently in the top 5 or top 10 when it comes to lap times.

If you want more boost and therefore more straight-line speed, build a car that doesn't handle so well and losses time in the twisty bits. But don't then complain that you are being overtaken in the corners.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3444225)   #49
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They should just equalise all the power units. Dyno each engine, give everyone "350" or near as to it as possible, then say its up to the teams to sort their chassis out.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 13:09 (Ref:3444232)   #50
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
They should just equalise all the power units. Dyno each engine, give everyone "350" or near as to it as possible, then say its up to the teams to sort their chassis out.
Chassis development costs money and Honda/Dynamics have much more available to spend on their's compared to anyone else. If all cars had the same powered engine, an unchecked Honda would be runaway winners of every race and every championship. Nobody else would get a look in and the series would collapse.
Closed Thread