Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Jan 2017, 07:33 (Ref:3700752)   #76
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
The souvenir I keep from RR is a fantastic auto jumble. Could it be compared to Beaulieu? I used to work with Louis' dad sharing a booth with Carol Spagg. My feeling as an exhibitor is that the main hall doesn't attract so many people. Not really easy to find an hotel in the neighborhood…
Old 13 Jan 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3702265)   #77
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick bump for those that haven't seen, but RR seam to be pulling out all the stops as Ari Vatanen & Markku Alen will both be there on the Saturday and will be on the live stage

http://email.raceretro.com/q/17IrmygfCCVfRNI37MXb70/wv
Old 13 Jan 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3702303)   #78
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too little, too late?
Old 13 Jan 2017, 23:27 (Ref:3702445)   #79
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh I don't know, Markku is my all time favourite rally driver!

Bugger and darn it... I have rally books with him on the front cover!!
Old 14 Jan 2017, 06:30 (Ref:3702467)   #80
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Oh I don't know, Markku is my all time favourite rally driver!

Bugger and darn it... I have rally books with him on the front cover!!
Seem to remember about the only two English words he uttered in front of camera when interviewed during a rally were- 'Maximum Attack'
Old 14 Jan 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3702490)   #81
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Seem to remember about the only two English words he uttered in front of camera when interviewed during a rally were- 'Maximum Attack'

Mike, much more interesting rally-wise (well for East Anglians!) did you see the story in the last few days about Bron Burrell & the re-appearance of the 1970 World Cup Rally Austin Maxi?

I have a photo of the Maxi I took at Snetterton back in the day, as Tish Ozanne, who I gather owned the car, brought it along to one or two meetings before the rally.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 09:56 (Ref:3702493)   #82
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Mike, much more interesting rally-wise (well for East Anglians!) did you see the story in the last few days about Bron Burrell & the re-appearance of the 1970 World Cup Rally Austin Maxi?

I have a photo of the Maxi I took at Snetterton back in the day, as Tish Ozanne, who I gather owned the car, brought it along to one or two meetings before the rally.
Yes, the Marshalls of Cambridge Maxi! Sadly Tish no longer with us? I was wondering if the car would be on display at RR- One Beeb news about it the other day referred to 'The World Rally Cup' but at least they covered the story....
Old 14 Jan 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3702495)   #83
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, the Marshalls of Cambridge Maxi! Sadly Tish no longer with us? I was wondering if the car would be on display at RR- One Beeb news about it the other day referred to 'The World Rally Cup' but at least they covered the story....
I think Bron Burrell mentioned that Tish Ozanne has passed on. Without checking back, am I right in saying she was Secretary of the Meeting at BRSCC East Anglian Centre events?

The Maxi story was also covered on The Telegraph site, complete with period fashion shots of the trio from the day, the likes of which today's PC mob would not approve of!

Would be nice to see the car again at one of the Shows, preferably Excel since that's the one I'm more likely to go to.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3702508)   #84
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didnt they use a landcrab for the London Mexico aswell? Maxie must have weighed a ton!!
Old 14 Jan 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3702526)   #85
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hear the most original of the London Mexico Landcrabs is likely to be auctioned this spring.......................
Old 14 Jan 2017, 13:57 (Ref:3702528)   #86
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Didnt they use a landcrab for the London Mexico aswell? Maxie must have weighed a ton!!
There were quite a few Austin/Morris 1800's on the entry list, one of them - entered & driven by one Reg Redgrave - finished ninth overall. Tenth place went to an Austin Maxi crewed by Rosemary Smith/Alice Watson/G.Derolland, also taking the Ladies Crews (that's how it was worded in the programme!) award.

Sorry, didn't mean to lead this thread astray.
Old 14 Jan 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3702540)   #87
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to lead this thread astray.
Yes, you started it!

Problem is, there's not a lot more that can be added to the original thread subject......

Old 14 Jan 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3702541)   #88
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Yes, you started it!

Problem is, there's not a lot more that can be added to the original thread subject......

Well, one thing leads to another... isn't that how all good conversations go?
Old 17 Jan 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3703103)   #89
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Race Series Organiser Masters Historic Racing have declared their allegiance to the Excel Show, and will also be at the 'Olympia Historic Automobile Fair & Auction' that takes place weekend before Excel. I'm not sure if they previously took space at RR anyway....
Old 17 Jan 2017, 12:12 (Ref:3703123)   #90
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I get the feeling the Excel show is on the old Brooklands principle

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Jan 2017, 13:06 (Ref:3703136)   #91
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I get the feeling the Excel show is on the old Brooklands principle

...and the Olympia show even more so. I intend to go to both Race Retro and the Excel show for research purposes but as I drive a 15-year old Golf and wear a Swatch I don't think I'm really in the target demographic for a "A New Ultra Luxury Lifestyle Event"
Old 17 Jan 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3703140)   #92
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
...and the Olympia show even more so. I intend to go to both Race Retro and the Excel show for research purposes but as I drive a 15-year old Golf and wear a Swatch I don't think I'm really in the target demographic for a "A New Ultra Luxury Lifestyle Event"
You can afford a watch? Some of us are still using the position of the sun to tell the time..... (When it's out)
Old 17 Jan 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3703213)   #93
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's nothing to do with your wealth that's just because you're from Norfolk

Old 17 Jan 2017, 18:15 (Ref:3703215)   #94
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's nothing to do with your wealth that's just because you're from Norfolk

You're not casting nasturtiums on my eddication, are you Max? You and your fancy fone and tappytalk!

I'm warming to the thought of a day out at Excel- bit like Alan, more out of curiosity than a need......
Old 17 Jan 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3703227)   #95
midgetman
Veteran

As if I'd cast a nastershalum!

Old 30 Jan 2017, 13:29 (Ref:3707789)   #96
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
For those who like to plan ahead, the dates for the 2018 London Classic Car Show & Historic Motorsport International have been announced. They will once again take place at Excel on 22-25 February 2018.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 12:35 (Ref:3708356)   #97
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The competition for our business continues......

Latest for the London show was an emailed offer last night of cut price tickets from a Race Series Organiser- any day, but you have to buy two. For thurs it works out very much cheaper.... I think other organisers may start to offer the deal, but they'd better hurry.

Before I could think about the cost, this morning there is another email from a trade supplier offering free tickets for thurs or fri! Now booked....

The latter required registration so now they have some data they can use to target me in the future- but, it's very easy to 'unsubscribe' nowadays.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 1 Feb 2017 at 12:41.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3708360)   #98
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I now need a new pair of overalls, so change of plan and Stoneleigh it is.
Old 1 Feb 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3708467)   #99
midgetman
Veteran

Is anyone selling overalls actually going to be there? Most of us have opted for a weekend off

Old 1 Feb 2017, 21:41 (Ref:3708491)   #100
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a small bit of info for those going to the Classic Car Show at Excel, the Silverstone Classic organisers will be there and were due to have a Jaguar XJR-14 on their stand but that won't now be there for those interested.