Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 Aug 2018, 05:34 (Ref:3845488)   #1701
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well, you made the mess, so you can clear it up!
I actually wrote that because I mis-posted and couldn't delete it but given the context could have used better words

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Aug 2018, 06:55 (Ref:3845491)   #1702
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes it depends on each supermarket. If Auchan is doing good in Hauts de France, its because they have their head quarters near Lille.
If you like wine, have a look when they announce "foire aux vins", the prices are rather attractive for a huge choice. In this matter some Leclerc are good too, depending on each shop owner.
When you mention Arras, come to my mind many fiestas we had there, before racing at Croix en Ternois… People in this region are so nice.
Thanks for the tips Gerard. Most of us over here don't know Arras from our elbows!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3845493)   #1703
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
C'on, VIVA, many of you here went at least once to the Croix en Ternois short track. In my opinion, its better for karting use but you could meet Renault F1 team. Arras is few miles away, showing a nice medieval style grand place.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 07:23 (Ref:3845495)   #1704
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes it depends on each supermarket. If Auchan is doing good in Hauts de France, its because they have their head quarters near Lille.
If you like wine, have a look when they announce "foire aux vins", the prices are rather attractive for a huge choice. In this matter some Leclerc are good too, depending on each shop owner.
When you mention Arras, come to my mind many fiestas we had there, before racing at Croix en Ternois… People in this region are so nice.
You are correct Gerard, the people in this region are very nice, one of the main reasons I like being here. If you haven't visited Arras in a while you might get a surprise. It is very much a 'happening' place these days with a lot of new commercial/industrial events going on. Culturally too. The main Place is now closed to traffic so there are frequently things happening there, especially at weekends.

As to wine, my good lady is the expert, being French, so chooses well!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 07:26 (Ref:3845496)   #1705
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Thanks for the tips Gerard. Most of us over here don't know Arras from our elbows!

You should come & discover it! Only about an hour from the Channel & an excellent classic car show third Sunday in March - bring Bauble & have a boys weekend!!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 08:16 (Ref:3845499)   #1706
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
bring Bauble & have a boys weekend!!
Well, lets say enjoy a weekend there and send some pictures to Bauble, he won't travel abroad.
As to people of this region, as previously said, they can seem a little bit rude at first glance. Just because they say what they mean and keep their word. If they like you, they won't hyde it and vice versa! Not so common nowadays, unfortunately…
Happy that the Arras main place is back to what it was meant to be in middle age.
Auchan announce a wider selection on bio Bordeaux wines, my favorite still being classic Saint Emilion. Good value for nice taste.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 08:16 (Ref:3845500)   #1707
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So, according to the Beeb, we’re putting a new satellite into orbit to ‘enable meteorologists to give a better forecast’.

Does that mean we will get better weather?
Old 23 Aug 2018, 08:18 (Ref:3845502)   #1708
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Probably not, but you will know for sure wether its raining over your head or not! Quite interesting
Old 23 Aug 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3845505)   #1709
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
So, according to the Beeb, we’re putting a new satellite into orbit to ‘enable meteorologists to give a better forecast’.

It'll be fine - until the satellite signal is disrupted by the weather!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3845511)   #1710
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post

Nice one Viva. I got it!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 09:52 (Ref:3845514)   #1711
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Nice one Viva. I got it!
Thank goodness someone did...…
Old 23 Aug 2018, 11:19 (Ref:3845529)   #1712
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Nice one Viva. I got it!
Phew, that's a relief. I was beginning to think it was a phrase I'd made up myself!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3845537)   #1713
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Whilst on the subject, having set fire to my old one last week, I bought a brand new toaster for 3 euros at a Brocante on Sunday. Still in it's box & made in China, no CE-type marks, so probably made to a higher standard (!), but it works!
We have several Chinese shops down here in Spain that sell "everything" and are so full up that it's difficult to walk between the isles, most of it is cheap junk and one thing I would never buy is mains electrical stuff as it is made so cheap that it is dangerous. I once brought an extension lead that didn't work and I took it to bits to see why. It looked like it had been assembled by a 4 year old (it probably was) and could easily have given you a nasty shock (or worse). I have seen people buy a cheapo charger for their expensive iPhone that has put 50volts into it and sodded it up. That saved them some money then !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Aug 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3845539)   #1714
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
'F course its a good one but I had to ask my girlfriend to pronounce it several times before finding the scent, well the sense! It worked fine, she's not French and have a deep sense of humor. Thank you!
By the way, when exciting Calais, Arras is first elbow on the left…
Old 23 Aug 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3845570)   #1715
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
'F course its a good one but I had to ask my girlfriend to pronounce it several times before finding the scent, well the sense! It worked fine, she's not French and have a deep sense of humor. Thank you!
By the way, when exciting Calais, Arras is first elbow on the left…

Surely exit right from Calais, Gerard, or you'll end up in Belgium. Actually, coming from the docks it is more or less straight-on for Arras.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3845574)   #1716
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
yep, John, but my girlfriend suggest Viva has a tough french accent, then right my become light or something else… No offense here, of course, just for fun.
By the way, can someone recommend NEC show of November? Is it worth?
Old 23 Aug 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3845576)   #1717
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
yep, John, but my girlfriend suggest Viva has a tough french accent, then right my become light or something else… No offense here, of course, just for fun.
Don't expect anything like Techno Classica, Retromobile or Interclassics, it's nothing special quality wise but expensive to visit.
Old 23 Aug 2018, 15:11 (Ref:3845578)   #1718
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
I should really have said that the Arras turn-off from Calais is more of a dog-leg than an elbow!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 16:28 (Ref:3845585)   #1719
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I should really have said that the Arras turn-off from Calais is more of a dog-leg than an elbow!
I would imagine poor old Viva is feeling somewhat 'arrassed at the moment.

El Beau!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3845589)   #1720
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:

VIVA is preparing an answer to this, I guess…
As too many French, I use to visit the first of the year NEC show. We appreciate the concept of two different shows during four days. But if CNC exhibits, think I'll pay a visit before having to convert my Capri from LHD to RHD after Brexit.
Do you think we will still be allowed to post here? Will Robert talk to me again? What will happen to my Yorkies? Have to say "come" instead of "viens"? Have to import their "kroketts" from NZ? Have to scratch my left hear with my right hand? Most important, what about bacon and black angus meat? Pfew, so many questions…
Old 23 Aug 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3845590)   #1721
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I would imagine poor old Viva is feeling somewhat 'arrassed at the moment.El Beau!
Cant get used to this kind of reading from you, Ami Robert, please go on!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3845614)   #1722
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Something from CCW this week that appears to be a well kept secret (well it was to me!), is that UK ‘black’ non reflective number plates are now legal on any tax exempt car, not just up to end of 1972 production. So up to 1978 at the moment. Seems the law changed in 2015, but very quietly.....
Old 23 Aug 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3845617)   #1723
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Something from CCW this week that appears to be a well kept secret (well it was to me!), is that UK ‘black’ non reflective number plates are now legal on any tax exempt car, not just up to end of 1972 production. So up to 1978 at the moment. Seems the law changed in 2015, but very quietly.....

That is perverse because the reflective plates became mandatory in 1973 for newly registered cars after being introduced in 1968. It defies logic, but then with this government why should one be surprised!
Old 23 Aug 2018, 19:50 (Ref:3845626)   #1724
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
it's all a plot to make VED-free cars easily identifiable, prior to putting into legislation that they can only be used on 10 days a year, or somesuch.
Does anyone know the precise rules around German 'Oldtimers' please?
Old 23 Aug 2018, 20:24 (Ref:3845636)   #1725
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
That is perverse because the reflective plates became mandatory in 1973 for newly registered cars after being introduced in 1968. It defies logic, but then with this government why should one be surprised!
Logic? I wonder how many would want to change to ‘non period’ plates, anyway. A few no doubt, but wouldn’t work for me......

David- expand on your question, please!