Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2017, 05:45 (Ref:3732756)   #201
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I think that before too long Liberty might appreciate the wise words of Lyndon Johnson about the reasons for appointing Spiro Agnew as his Vice-President.For those too young to remember,it involved tents...
I've looked all over Google & Wiki and can't find a meaningful link.?
Old 11 May 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3732758)   #202
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I've looked all over Google & Wiki and can't find a meaningful link.?
I did some more digging and it was actually LBJ and Nixon, not Agnew and it's a worthy quote.
Old 11 May 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3732762)   #203
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I did some more digging and it was actually LBJ and Nixon, not Agnew and it's a worthy quote.
Commonly the quote is attributed to LBJ and refers to J Edgar Hoover of the FBI
Old 11 May 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3732827)   #204
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Tilke gets a lot of flak, but didn't he design Sepang and Istanbul, two pretty good tracks?
i like the Austin track as well and i think it makes really good use of its natural landscape....not sure how much involvement he had for that track though.

for sure he has a philosophy which gets used at all of his tracks (so there is a lack of variety) but i dont seem to notice (as much anyways) the same issues F1 cars have at Tilke tracks vs other series.

cant really blame Tilke for F1's aero and tire marbles/dirty line issues which contribute to the lack of overtaking.
Old 11 May 2017, 15:51 (Ref:3732832)   #205
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't see why new circuits aren't put out to tender
Old 11 May 2017, 15:55 (Ref:3732833)   #206
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i like the Austin track as well and i think it makes really good use of its natural landscape....not sure how much involvement he had for that track though.

for sure he has a philosophy which gets used at all of his tracks (so there is a lack of variety) but i dont seem to notice (as much anyways) the same issues F1 cars have at Tilke tracks vs other series.

cant really blame Tilke for F1's aero and tire marbles/dirty line issues which contribute to the lack of overtaking.
It wasn't all Tilke. The layout was conceived by promoter Tavo Hellmund and 1993 Motorcycle World Champion Kevin Schwantz.
Old 11 May 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3732837)   #207
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don't see why new circuits aren't put out to tender
The question is... In the past, was there a preferred vendor list as provided by F1 that had effectively one name on the list? I expect a large part of selling your services to whoever is constructing a future F1 track would be talking to how you have the relationships inside FIA (or whoever) to ensure that the track meets the guidelines to get the right certification, plus plenty of experience in doing this type of thing. I suspect that frankly going up against Tilke in a competitive bid scenario and also trying to reduce risk (i.e. low bidder who has zero experience doing this work has little chance of winning a large contract) would be hard.

I also fully expect that the design process is a combined effort between whoever will own the track and the design firm. So while we may pick on Tilke, at the end of the day, the track owners... "own" the design which they ultimately would have approved before construction starts. They can't pass the buck. From their perspectives they may be very happy with what Tilke (entire organization) provides?

Richard
Old 11 May 2017, 16:46 (Ref:3732845)   #208
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It wasn't all Tilke. The layout was conceived by promoter Tavo Hellmund and 1993 Motorcycle World Champion Kevin Schwantz.
they did a good job!...particularity like the use of the natural landscape and the elevation changes.
Old 12 May 2017, 03:09 (Ref:3732899)   #209
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
...I expect a large part of selling your services to whoever is constructing a future F1 track would be talking to how you have the relationships inside FIA (or whoever) to ensure that the track meets the guidelines to get the right certification, plus plenty of experience in doing this type of thing...
The FIA circuit design requirements are in the public domain and anyone with motorsport and construction experience should be able to interpret and apply the requirements accordingly.
Old 12 May 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3732967)   #210
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The FIA circuit design requirements are in the public domain and anyone with motorsport and construction experience should be able to interpret and apply the requirements accordingly.
Fully understand that. You completely missed my point. I expect part of what Tilke sells is experience. I am not advocating for Tilke at all but believe me past experience absolutely factors into the vendor selection process for high dollar projects. Is even likely that without prior experience a vendor may not even qualify to bid.

Richard
Old 13 May 2017, 01:33 (Ref:3733105)   #211
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The thing is no-one else has the levels of recent experience that his company do. Not just in building to the FIA requirements but also the buildings and infrastructure that go with it. But also advising on changes to circuits.

That alone makes his company difficult to beat if it went to a short list.

Apex are the only other company that even springs to mind for the short list.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 16:20 (Ref:3747003)   #212
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Rose-tinted spectacles and/or selective memory?

I think a dispassionate study will reveal that LH is far better behaved - and certainly more sober - than G Hill ever was.
Interesting item in the news, today.

Here:

This is not real motor racing; rather, spoilt overpaid, overhyped badly behaved children...
Old 26 Jun 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3747009)   #213
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post

Here:

This is not real motor racing; rather, spoilt overpaid, overhyped badly behaved children...
You should post this on the race thread.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 23:05 (Ref:3747128)   #214
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysFeltham View Post

Here:

singular in this case (Vettel, as usual) since the FIA examined LH's data and stated he had not brake-tested SV, nor even slowed..

Your point was...?
Old 27 Jun 2017, 00:52 (Ref:3747149)   #215
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Eccelstone is bringing his fan car to Goodwood.

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/...goodwood-2017/
Old 27 Jun 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3747194)   #216
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well what do we make of F1 since Bernie went? Does anyone else notice a ramping up of the "entertainment" side? Safety cars instead of VSC to pick up the small pieces of debris. Allowing cars to continue despite shedding said debris - an obvious black/orange flag on "normal" racing. And now paltry penalties for dangerous driving, because it gets F1 headline news around the world.

Just how bad was Bernie again? At least he was a racing purist, he didn't worry about ratings as long as someone was settling his huge bills.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Jun 2017, 10:27 (Ref:3747247)   #217
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Well what do we make of F1 since Bernie went? Does anyone else notice a ramping up of the "entertainment" side? Safety cars instead of VSC to pick up the small pieces of debris. Allowing cars to continue despite shedding said debris - an obvious black/orange flag on "normal" racing. And now paltry penalties for dangerous driving, because it gets F1 headline news around the world.

Just how bad was Bernie again? At least he was a racing purist, he didn't worry about ratings as long as someone was settling his huge bills.

This was only one race and the 8th of a 22 race season, so it's far too early to make a judgement. Wait till the chequered flag is waived at Abu Dhabi.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3747290)   #218
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't judge it on the actions of one race either. We've had many feelgood stories like with the Ferrari fan in Spain, Fred going to Indy and then joining the crowd in Canada. I think the human element is returning to F1, which was always hidden before
Old 27 Jun 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3747346)   #219
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Don't confuse marketing and racing.

F1's marketing has improved dramatically, no question about that.

Racing hasn't. DRS is still there. Very few teams can aspire to podiums. Costs are prohibitive.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3747353)   #220
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
just on the racing side of things, Pirelli are acting far more sensibly then they did when they had the cover of BE and his magic mandate formula and as a result one could say the racing is better because the company is now more open to supplying the tire compounds the teams actually want.

dont know who gets credit for that though?

9 out of 10 teams scored points at Baku...is that a win for the Liberty era or BE era?
Old 1 Jul 2017, 00:57 (Ref:3748047)   #221
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

wut, lol?Bernie Eccelstone a racing purist? What was that mental medal idea he had again a few years ago?

I don't think the paltry penalty was a decree that was issued from Chase.

The words out of Liberty are good, particularly the attention to cultivating the European venues and the respect for its history. Eccelstone was the exact inverse of that.

But the proof is in the pudding. If there's a ramping up of gimmicks, then that's not good from the pov of what I want from the sport.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3748081)   #222
S griffin
Veteran

Bernie didn't care as long as he got good profit. That's why he always went for wacky ideas like medals, knockout quali, double points, sprinklers, shortcuts. Thankfully they are all confined to the scrapheap
Old 24 Oct 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3776240)   #223
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Interview to Sean Bratches (F1 commercial chief) and Frank Arthofer (‎F1 digital head)

http://www.sportspromedia.com/magazi...a-ones-new-era

Quote:
I was approached to come over and run the business group. And then I got here, and there was no business group! There was no marketing team, or digital team, or communications, or research. Nothing.

I spent the first three or four months effectively by myself before people starting coming on board. I was just rolling a grenade into every room I went into because there was nothing in the pipeline. There were no deals pending or anything.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 11:59 (Ref:3776356)   #224
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Bernie didn't care as long as he got good profit. That's why he always went for wacky ideas like medals, knockout quali, double points, sprinklers, shortcuts. Thankfully they are all confined to the scrapheap
The whole F1 business was in Bernie's head, he didn't see new things as opportunties he saw them as risk to his business model. He didn't have a marketing team he had himself and a lawyer. It's amazing that you could run a multi billion dollar global business like that, but he did.
Old 25 Oct 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3776358)   #225
S griffin
Veteran

Well thankfully it looks like the sport is being concentrated on more now