Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:11 (Ref:813382)   #1
Raving
Rookie

Raving should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petition against standing starts!

Let’s not loose a tradition and a trademark of our beloved sport! Say no to standing starts! How? We are starting a petition against it which we will send to OWRS.

You can sign up by e-mailing me your name (or nick), city or county and the comments you have on the subject.

csaba.toth@motorsportok.hu
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:20 (Ref:813393)   #2
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I prefer standing starts. This season certainly there has been many aborted starts with cars not lining up right though obviously no standing starts on ovals! I thought about the narrow courses but if F1 can do it at Monaco CART can do it anywhere as well. I also prefer standing starts from a biased point of view as I've always been quite good at them!

A mix though would be good and I can also understand you not wanting to change as it is heratige and well why would OWRCART(that how it named now?) change it?

Last edited by Phoenix1; 16 Dec 2003 at 20:21.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:24 (Ref:813399)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix1
Sorry I prefer standing starts. This season certainly there has been many aborted starts with cars not lining up right though obviously no standing starts on ovals! I thought about the narrow courses but if F1 can do it at Monaco CART can do it anywhere as well. I also prefer standing starts from a biased point of view as I've always been quite good at them!

A mix though would be good and I can also understand you not wanting to change as it is heratige and well why would OWRCART(that how it named now?) change it?
Extremely well said and I totally agree.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:28 (Ref:813401)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a mix would be great. Adding to the diversity that makes this series great can't hurt a thing.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 20:59 (Ref:813429)   #5
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
have rolling starts for ovals and street courses and standing for road courses....for safety reasons, tradition and excitement, this would keep everyone happy
Old 16 Dec 2003, 21:27 (Ref:813457)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Half and half I think. Some courses can have standing starts, some can have rolling starts. Keep up the diversity...
Old 16 Dec 2003, 21:52 (Ref:813486)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see no reason to go to standing starts. How is it any more safe on standing start where a front car can stall and be struck by a backmarker? At least on a rolling start all the cars a running and noone is missing a shift or stalling out.
Never forget #99
Old 16 Dec 2003, 22:11 (Ref:813513)   #8
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I prefer the standing start from an excitement point of view. I also found it rather frustrating to watch all the starts waived off last year. Therefore I shall respectfully decline.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 16 Dec 2003, 22:41 (Ref:813552)   #9
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I prefer standing starts, especially without traction control and launch control. Shows you how good some of the drivers are at putting the power down. Should be exciting to watch if we do see standing starts next year.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 22:53 (Ref:813563)   #10
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KC
I see no reason to go to standing starts. How is it any more safe on standing start where a front car can stall and be struck by a backmarker? At least on a rolling start all the cars a running and noone is missing a shift or stalling out.
Last time I did a rolling start I was in P2, leader spun coming out of narrow corner building up heat hit me as did a dumb backmarker who had by the got up speed and lauched me and my kart into a tyre wall. :-S It somewhat hurt. Accidents happen in both types of start. That was bad driving and nothing to do with the type of start but the point is he failed to see the yellow or be careful on a start imagine if I had not taken my hands off the steering well and braced for impact. In F1 each car has a marshall with it and if the driver raises his hand a flag is thrown and the start is (mainly) aborted. I presume CART would also adopt this.

My main issue with rolling starts is the fact they are not practices. Rookies have to got through training for an oval but nothing for rolling starts. Something to look at maybe?
Old 16 Dec 2003, 22:59 (Ref:813569)   #11
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
think you mis understud me KC...or i didnt write it right....i meant having rolling starts on ovals and street courses...in my experience...you gotta have em on ovals...cos of tradition and on street courses its safer cos of the lack of room...as you said if someone stalls then mayhem lets loose
Old 16 Dec 2003, 23:00 (Ref:813570)   #12
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer rolling starts for CART.

We have all seen startline pileups where you lose 3-4 cars before the first corner. Imagine if you lost 4 cars from an already thin grid of 18 cars. That would kill the excitement somewhat.

I cant see CART/OWRS red flagging a race after a startline pileup and allowing spare cars to be brought out for the restart
Old 16 Dec 2003, 23:31 (Ref:813602)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't care, honestly. Whether ones or the others, I'll watch, anyway.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 00:03 (Ref:813619)   #14
fordtc87
Rookie

United States
Indianapolis, IN
fordtc87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Standing, got tired of watching restarts this year. Sorry not to support your petition.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 00:27 (Ref:813625)   #15
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something tells me this won't be high on the priority list of the new owners. They got some problems to work out first.

That said, standing starts are the way to go. With no traction-control, it would be something to watch. To many re-starts also.

Danica Patrick
Old 17 Dec 2003, 01:53 (Ref:813649)   #16
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try it, whatever, it doesn't matter to me. OWRS needs to experiment and try new ideas. That's what rebuilding is.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 03:48 (Ref:813674)   #17
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer standing starts although I do think that rolling starts should be kept on the ovals. F1 has wrecks with the standing starts and we have them with rolling starts. The US 500 in 1996 comes to mind.
Old 17 Dec 2003, 15:42 (Ref:814168)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My gut is I'd like to see rolling starts continue, but if OWRS thinks they can do standing starts better than rolling starts I say let them try. Another factor, rolling starts often turn out to be unfair.
Old 18 Dec 2003, 09:54 (Ref:814932)   #19
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rolling starts were good up until the last two years, but recently there has been wave offs at about every race, If the rolling starts can get back to the consistency of a few years ago, then keep with them, but if not, then give standing starts a go.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 18 Dec 2003, 10:22 (Ref:814945)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Rolling starts on streets and standign starts on road courses might be the right compromise. The poor quality rolling starts over the last 2 years have probably been due to an increasing amount of drivers coming in without much experience of them.
Old 21 Dec 2003, 03:57 (Ref:817239)   #21
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You couldn't do a standing start on an oval. I just assumed they'd have rolling starts for the ovals.

(I mean, whats giong to happen if one of the DC cars nails the throttle at the start and slides down the banking - thats not going to work is it?)
Old 21 Dec 2003, 16:02 (Ref:817500)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You need rolling starts on an Oval, no question. Unsuitable gearing, banking, etc, plus the comparative ease of lining them up on an oval mean there's no real argument. On road or street circuits there's for and against both. A stalled car is dangerous from a standing start, onthe other hand the first corner accident is going faster from a rolling start.

The usual deal in Britain is series with turbo cars tend to be rolling starts and atmospheric engines start from standstill. Whether this is a technical or safety issue I couldn't tell you - heat build up, or getting a turbo wound up from nothing, perhaps?
Old 21 Dec 2003, 22:44 (Ref:817701)   #23
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People are continuing to go on about a stalled car being hit, (happened this year in F1 at Spain didn't it.....but it wasn't too bad since of the cars involved, one was stationary and one was going about 10 M.P.H ) but one thing they are forgetting is Surfers 2002.

That accident wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad if it had happened after a standing start, the cars certainly would'nt have had enough speed for 3 of them to flip!
Old 21 Dec 2003, 22:59 (Ref:817712)   #24
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do they still have standing starts in the Toyota Atlantic series (on roads and streets)?

Anyway there has been so much cheating and bad starting this year they HAVE to move away from rolling starts! And why can't they have Standings starts on ovals?????
Old 22 Dec 2003, 01:08 (Ref:817848)   #25
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, Toyota Altantic does rolling starts NOT standing starts on all circuits..