Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 24 Nov 2012, 12:47 (Ref:3170530)   #1
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is a medical needed before an ARDS test?

I am planning to do my ARDS test on the 15/12, but just remembered that I have to have a medical down the line now that I am 18.

Do I need to have a medical done before the test, or can I have it done afterwards?

Second question, on average, how much does a medical cost?

I imagine this question must crop up a lot, but I need an answer quickly just in case.

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 24 Nov 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3170535)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
Do I need to have a medical done before the test, or can I have it done afterwards?
No you don't need it before the test.
Quote:
Second question, on average, how much does a medical cost?
On average how long is a piece of string?
Old 24 Nov 2012, 13:38 (Ref:3170545)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phone your Doctors surgery? As long as the receptionist has a good knowledge of english,perhaps youll get an idea of cost.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3170556)   #4
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
I'm relieved by that, thank you for answering! I have heard that a medical can cost between £25 and £75, so it's a bit of a lottery really.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3170557)   #5
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then phone all the other doctors surgeries and go to the one thats cheapest.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 14:48 (Ref:3170563)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I'm relieved by that, thank you for answering! I have heard that a medical can cost between £25 and £75, so it's a bit of a lottery really.
You must live in a different part of the world than me to get one that cheap
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Nov 2012, 14:58 (Ref:3170569)   #7
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My medical cost about £75-80 if I remember rightly. It's quite steep, considering that my doctor didn't really have to do much to complete it. But, you it's only a one off cost until you turn 45 (or unless you progress to international licenses).
Old 24 Nov 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3170576)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
You must live in a different part of the world than me to get one that cheap
My last medical with my GP was about £30, the one before that was £40 and before that was £50, perhaps looks at me each year and feels sorry for me.
Old 24 Nov 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3170580)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps my uk doctor felt sorry for me then,£30.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 06:13 (Ref:3172030)   #10
davspeed
Rookie

United Kingdom
north lincs
davspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try these for a medical at £40.

http://www.gettingamedical.co.uk/

They do them at clinics all over the country.
Old 27 Nov 2012, 10:02 (Ref:3172109)   #11
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They often have a medical service at the Race Retro show if you're prepared to wait. I'm sure there is details of what they offered in the 2012 and previous shows online with a bit of searching.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 16:38 (Ref:3178962)   #12
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Hi all,

Well I have just got back from Bedford Autodrome, yet I regret to admit that I failed the driving assessment. The written assessment was no real problem, yet when it came to the driving I had just become a bit of a nervous wreck.

I went out with Martin - (Thoroughly nice chap) who was my examiner, he went for 2 laps to show me what to do and which gears to be in etc. It seemed manageable from the passenger seat, yet when I was driving myself, I panicked quite a lot, especially when there was traffic. The pedals were not as heavy as my roadcar, which took getting used to and to factor in a lot more braking power, it was all a lot to take in. Whilst the cones were very useful for turn in and clipping points, I still found myself turning in much too early, therefore compromising my exits.

I was getting the hang of the speed and controls fairly well until a mass of 5 cars were on my bumper, which was when things took a turn for the worse. I had successfully allowed 3 of the 5 cars through without any problems, yet a Ferrari went up my inside into a hairpin and some twonk in a 911 turbo decided to follow him. I tried to give as much room as possible to allow them both through, but I was right up against the pit lane entrance with another car exiting at the same time. Luckily there was no contact, but that Porsche driver was driving like a real d***. Admittedly, I should have braked somewhat harder, yet it happened all rather quickly. After that incident I was becoming less relaxed and more fidgety, which severely knocked my confidence. The lap later Martin told me to pit for a quick debrief. I was pretty unsettled as the incident had ruined my rhythm for the other lap and left me questioning what I was doing there.

After a few minute's debrief, I was out again for the real test. Fortunately, the traffic was a lot less severe, yet i found myself trying to compensate too much and braking too hard. Every corner and gearshift seemed to knock my confidence more, so knowing I had failed pretty dismally, I was somewhat relieved that the test was over in no more than 3 laps.

I had known I had failed and was pretty despondent, thinking of all the money that I had spent on a fail, and the fact that I had not booked a 1 hour 1 to 1 session prior to the test. Martin made me feel a lot better though, and was amazed that he had driven pretty fast despite not having driven on a track before, nor in a sports car and nor any faster than 85 mph or so.

I plan to have some tuition before the next ARDS test at BA, which I think is in February. If anyone who is reading this who has not had any track experience prior to the ARDs test, I would highly advise having a 1 hour session prior to the assessment. You will be very suprised, much like I was by the speed of not only the car, but also how quickly you are expected to adapt to the track and the car as a different setting.

In retrospect it might be a good thing that I failed considering we had quite a lengthy debrief after the test, which helped me understand aspects such as the braking and turn in a lot better. Purely as an experience, it is pretty good fun and a real insight into track driving and since I had never been much more than 90mph whilst driving, it was rather exhilarating when going 115/120 mph.

I will therefore put it down to experience, having more track time (Typical excuse, I know!) would have really benefited me, but at least I know what I can improve on and hopefully can pass next time.

Matt

The actual examination
Old 15 Dec 2012, 18:12 (Ref:3178995)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Sorry to hear about your bad day Matt. You should perhaps do a track day or two and get a bit of tuition, most track day companies will throw in a few laps with an instructor FOC or for say £25.
If you've never been on track before doing a test isn't the best way to start and if you think today was bad then you'll have a bigger shock when you do your first race.
One other point is that the examiner should make allowances for the ********s on the track or even close the track for a few laps while people do their tests. Depending what you have to pay for the next session I'd recommend you go to Everyman at Mallory next time, they are a very friendly bunch and you could even try and pick a day that isn't over run by morons on track.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 06:06 (Ref:3179085)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Very sorry to hear that,must admit to being surprised that you seem to have had a very small amount of tuition though!At least next time you will have a better idea as to what is expected of you,as Tim said,go to Everyman
Old 16 Dec 2012, 06:15 (Ref:3179087)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Very sorry to hear that,must admit to being surprised that you seem to have had a very small amount of tuition though!At least next time you will have a better idea as to what is expected of you,as Tim said,go to Everyman
Mallory is very easy to learn bearing in mind that you should get a very good idea of any UK circuit in around three laps. If as I suspect you used the West circuit,it is difficult as there are no natural land marks and being so flat,difficult to 'see' the turn in points. Mallory is so much easier because of its lay-out,it is obvious where you need to brake,turn-in etc etc.Good luck next time,but I doubt that you'll need it.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 06:46 (Ref:3179091)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Why were Ferraris an Porsche Turbos on track at same time? Track day? When I did my ards (on a proper race circuit- sorry JP) we were in the race school cars, which were BMW 3 series and Alfa diesels! And it wasn't about speed and lap time, more how you used the controls and how you balanced the car using brakes and accelerator.

Agree with Tim and Terence, chose a traditional circuit based school and if possible where the day is purely an ards day- not a track day plus.........

Many years ago I failed my HGV on first attempt because of nerves / panic. Next time I relaxed and nailed it. Good luck!
Old 16 Dec 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3179113)   #17
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
I should have said that my instructor was very accommodating after the incident with the Porsche, it was just my driving that deteriorated, which was why he did not feel I was ready.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3179115)   #18
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Why were Ferraris an Porsche Turbos on track at same time? Track day? When I did my ards (on a proper race circuit- sorry JP) we were in the race school cars, which were BMW 3 series and Alfa diesels! And it wasn't about speed and lap time, more how you used the controls and how you balanced the car using brakes and accelerator.

Agree with Tim and Terence, chose a traditional circuit based school and if possible where the day is purely an ards day- not a track day plus.........

Many years ago I failed my HGV on first attempt because of nerves / panic. Next time I relaxed and nailed it. Good luck!
Thanks! I hope I can do the same.

There were only 3 of us on the ARDS test, yet the trackday was packed. I guess the mass of cars makes sense as it must have been one of the last trackday events of 2012.

I think MSV integrate Ards sessions with track days so the examiner sees how the student deals with the extra traffic. I had not really thought that that may not be the case at other circuits.

Oh, and for your interest, the circuit used was the SEN Circuit.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3179120)   #19
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Still not an easy circuit to sight the turn points.Track days/ards tests are really not the ideal mix because there are always the "super hero's" who need to impress!
Old 16 Dec 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3179129)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:

I think MSV integrate Ards sessions with track days so the examiner sees how the student deals with the extra traffic. I had not really thought that that may not be the case at other circuits.

Oh, and for your interest, the circuit used was the SEN Circuit.
The trouble with track days and I would expect more so with Bedford is that 90% of the drivers on them have no idea how to drive on a track and also think they are F1 drivers. If you go to somewhere like Mallory, do your written stuff early and by the time you get on track the initial rush to get out has died down and things are calmer and steadier. They also expect you to drive well below race speed but show a bit of car control and decent observation, I passed and I was useless, still am so if I can do it anyone can.
Just try and learn the approximate racing line and drive a few steady laps and you should be fine but get some practice first.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 10:45 (Ref:3179138)   #21
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Hmmm, Mallory sounds like a good alternative then. Having said that, I have been offered the Ards test with an hour tuition combined for the price of the tuition if I choose to go next time.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3179140)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It is a "business" after all.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3179248)   #23
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just can't understand how any company could give you the ARDS test when there are the usual imbeciles using the circuit for a track day. It beggars belief!
I agree with others here who recommend Everyman but be aware they also use a non-race circuit somewhere in Leicestershire as well as Mallory. Specify Mallory even if you have to wait a bit longer.

And good luck.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 23:27 (Ref:3179300)   #24
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I just can't understand how any company could give you the ARDS test when there are the usual imbeciles using the circuit for a track day. It beggars belief!
I agree with others here who recommend Everyman but be aware they also use a non-race circuit somewhere in Leicestershire as well as Mallory. Specify Mallory even if you have to wait a bit longer.

And good luck.
I'm with the rest of them on this...bad time to do ARDS test...I have only done one airfield track day lately and went home at lunch time before anyone took me off. I won't let my son go out on his kart in the non licensed group at tests, even if it is only to run an engine in.

There is a lot of negativity about ARDS and ARKS tests, but as you have found it does mean you have proved you have some basic skills. Imagine if you had bowled up at a circuit and raced...you've now had your eyes opened and appreciate the need for proper training before racing. It also teaches you respect and patience, something that is not in abundance at your average track day.

Keep at it, get the training and you'll soon be on the grid! What are you planning on racing?
Old 17 Dec 2012, 07:21 (Ref:3179369)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Its not just airfield circuits Tim,try doing it on a public day on the Ring,it is totally unfair to let a novice out on track days,too much to think about/remember etc. One word of advice,DONT rely on computer games for learning a particular circuit,although very good to play on,there are better ways to learn. Have a look for "in-car" footage on youtube,or even the Youtube circuit guide,you'll get a far better idea on where ,what and when.