Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Dec 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3342018)   #1
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Future Rule Changes

http://www.fia.com/formula-one-regulation-changes

Headlines:

Cost cap for 2015
Tyre test
Permanent driver numbers
...oh, double points for final race of the season.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3342023)   #2
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
A working group will be established to finalise the regulations governing the cost-cap regulations.This group, which will include representatives of the FIA and of the commercial rights holder, as well as F1 team members, will be tasked to finalise these regulations by the end of June 2014.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111798

I would love to be a fly on the wall at these meetings and going on past form I expect this will run and run.........
Old 9 Dec 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3342027)   #3
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
May be nostalgia but I'm really hoping we see the Ferrari teams take #27 and #28.
Old 31 Oct 2017, 22:05 (Ref:3777837)   #4
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Look familiar? Post #2 of this thread 10 th December 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
A working group will be established to finalise the regulations governing the cost-cap regulations.This group, which will include representatives of the FIA and of the commercial rights holder, as well as F1 team members, will be tasked to finalise these regulations by the end of June 2014.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111798

I would love to be a fly on the wall at these meetings and going on past form I expect this will run and run.........
Old 9 Dec 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3342028)   #5
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally artificial.

You forgot the potential mandatory 2-stops for next season.

Add that to DRS and what do you have? A series where what isn't the best car being piloted by what isn't the best driver get an ever-increasing chance to take the title.

F1 is attempting to recapture casual sports fans, but is doing so at the expense of hardcore fans. I was a casual F1 fan until 2010, when I suddenly became hooked on motorsports, but I think the whole artificial nature of the sport now would've made it look like a joke to me in 2006.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3342030)   #6
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Headlines:

Cost cap for 2015
Tyre test
Permanent driver numbers

Quote:
Old 9 Dec 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3342034)   #7
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely

Quote:
double points for final race of the season.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 19:33 (Ref:3342039)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
double points for the finale is an odd rule change and im not sure where it came from or if there is a sporting logic behind it. great for the promoter of the race who gets to host the 'super point' event though.

will wait and see what amount they settle on for a cost cap and see what mechanism they will create to enforce it.

i like the idea of driver numbers over the car number as i have always liked the more recent trend of referring to the chassis by year and/or model number.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3342047)   #9
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lets hope they come up with a senceable budget cap. They probably need to set it high to start with and bring down to about Ā£ 60-80million. They should have a seperate cap for engine manufacture with an engine cost included in a team budget.

The interesting bit is how the big teams will take their budgets down.

A proper budget cap will get rid of the need for testing restrictions and a host of other cost restriction stuff. If we have more than 1 tyre supplier then they should also have budget restriction.

I Hope the FIA have said if the teams cannot agree they will impose a budget cap.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3342054)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this is the moment they're going to talk about as the moment that f1 jumped the shark, isn't it?

the budget cap is too late, i believe.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3342055)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Cost cap for 2015

Quote:
Tyre test

Quote:
Permanent driver numbers
Permanent numbers is Ace.

Double points for season finale will at least ensure that more drivers would be in with a chance of winning WDC. Give it a go.

Budget cap!

Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:15 (Ref:3342058)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some good changes, spoiled entirely by one solitary idea.

KILL ME NOW.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3342059)   #13
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Budget cap: a stable door moment if ever there was one.

I predict that at least two, possibly three and an outside chance of four current teams have serious financial trouble before 2015. I don't want them to but we're already looking at Marussia, Sauber & Lotus really having to stretch to make ends meet.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3342071)   #14
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really really really hate this double points at the finale decision. It's just arrived out of nowhere, I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it before. Yes there were some unfunny jokes by people who don't understand sport or arithmetic when Hamilton won his title by finishing 5th, beating Massa, who won. But anyone who thinks that the championship should just go to the winner of the last race is insane. Ok, this suggestion isn't quite as bad, but it's a move in that direction.

All for the budget cap though. It should have been made some time ago. Actually, it was made some time ago, everyone just ignored it! Although that had a load of caveats, like prize money didn't count (Ferrari get the most wherever they finish don't they?) and drivers' pay and marketing didn't count.

I don't think that the mandatory pit stops are necessarily a bad idea, so long as the sport is flexible enough to drop them again if they don't work.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3342072)   #15
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
The double points is heading towards a Chase sort of system, and that's awful. It's a pathetic idea and ruins the entire rule changes.

I was excited about 2014, as some of the smaller teams may get a chance to beat the big boys for a little while, but if the best car/driver(/engine) combo doesn't win, what is the point?
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3342073)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Imagine if you lead all season, then your engine blows in Abu Dhabi and someone sails past you in the standings because of the double points.

Sport at its finest.

Such a shame, because I am in love with the permanent numbers.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 21:02 (Ref:3342082)   #17
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cue controversy: I like all these changes. Yes the final round double points doesn't sit well with many, but it's not artificially affecting handing one person an advantage and preventing the drivers racing. In fact, it may encourage drivers to push more at the final.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3342083)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Imagine if you lead all season, then your engine blows in Abu Dhabi and someone sails past you in the standings because of the double points.
agreed. if they want the last race to be more relevant then go back to an older point system where there was less of a gap between a 1st and 2nd place finish.

giving someone 50 points for a winning the last race of the year just sounds random.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3342172)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Well, it is after all a team sport.

It's not like engine blow ups haven't decided F1 championships before. Build a better engine!
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3342180)   #20
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Hopefully the other circuits will kick up a stink.

Personally I think each race should be a defacto major whilst the championship is overemphasised, so the double points, whilst irkesome, is something I can take on the chin - with a grumble.

Red line issues for me are reverse grids, success ballast and reality TV guff that FE seems to be mucking with. They cross those lines - I'm out.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 06:28 (Ref:3342258)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Well, it is after all a team sport.

It's not like engine blow ups haven't decided F1 championships before. Build a better engine!
You are going to have to try harder here.

Can you tell me why an engine blowup on one day should be potentially more damaging (twice so) than an engine failure a week or two earlier. Especially at the end of the season when equipment is a bit more scarce.

Can you tell me why the last race in particular is double points? Why not the first? Hey, it'd make no difference right? Oh sorry, all the thick people would switch off because the winner would have a massive points advantage after one race.

Can you tell me why a race witnessed by a trackside audience of dozens should award double over a packed Silverstone or Monza?

And this doesn't just effect the boys and girls at the top either.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3342355)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Can you tell me why an engine blowup on one day should be potentially more damaging (twice so) than an engine failure a week or two earlier. Especially at the end of the season when equipment is a bit more scarce.

Can you tell me why the last race in particular is double points? Why not the first? Hey, it'd make no difference right? Oh sorry, all the thick people would switch off because the winner would have a massive points advantage after one race.

Can you tell me why a race witnessed by a trackside audience of dozens should award double over a packed Silverstone or Monza?
Can you ask the teams and the FIA those questions?

I certainly wouldn't have come up with that suggestion myself, but the teams and the FIA must have their reasons for it, although they are a bit thick.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3342363)   #23
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It can only be something given to Abu Dhabi because they were put last on the calendar and didn't want to be.

Outside of that context it makes no sense whatsoever.

And personally I'd have preferred team numbers (Williams 5,6, ferrari 27,28) rather than driver numbers. But it's a nothing issue to me.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3342416)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
It can only be something given to Abu Dhabi because they were put last on the calendar and didn't want to be.

Outside of that context it makes no sense whatsoever.
Unless Abu Dhabi deliberately wanted the season finale to happen at their venue and therefore have pushed for double points. Personally, I don't think this really helps F1, it smacks of a gimmick.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 21:00 (Ref:3342081)   #25
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cost cap is probably necessary.
Permanent numbers aren't, but I don't really mind either. Not really the first thing that comes to mind as needing fixing though.
Double points is a good contender for being the stupidest thing I've ever heard.