Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we should just delete the championship.

Just organise independant races.
Old 12 Dec 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3343368)   #102
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
The ultimate would be Vettel overturning a 49 point deficit in the final round and winning the championship. I'm no Vettel fan, but that would be absolutely, deliciously hilarious (once I stop crying).

Love your work Knowlesy!
Old 12 Dec 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3343369)   #103
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post

If Melbourne took the $ 80 million dollars that its GP costs the taxpayers and organized a Formula Libre race with a $40 million dollar prize pool, I think you would have a respectable entry and some really interesting cars!
Old 13 Dec 2013, 00:31 (Ref:3343417)   #104
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Love your work Knowlesy!
We love him too.....
Old 13 Dec 2013, 01:27 (Ref:3343448)   #105
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post

In my own mind, I'm already there.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 02:03 (Ref:3343462)   #106
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are going to award double points, the race needs to be twice the distance in length. Simple as that.

Same length race and double the points for Abu Dhabi? What a joke. Why not just institute the "Aarons Lucky Dog" while we are at it, and maybe have a race for 4 times the points where everyone has to do the final laps in reverse.

What a complete joke. Stick a fork in F1. It's done!! At least as far as having any degree of credibility at all.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 07:11 (Ref:3343536)   #107
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA confirm a revised penalty points system for 2014.

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/08312

I think we could see a 'stop and hold' type penalty being applied. A driver could possibly get a drive through penalty, and on top that, has to box and be held for 5sec before being let out of pitlane.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 07:14 (Ref:3343538)   #108
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very complicated grid penalty system to be introduced.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/formu...ake-things-up/
Old 13 Dec 2013, 11:42 (Ref:3343625)   #109
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ugh. My head.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3343633)   #110
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Ugh. My head.
I'm already inquiring about counselling.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3343637)   #111
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Track Fan View Post
If you are going to award double points, the race needs to be twice the distance in length. Simple as that.

Same length race and double the points for Abu Dhabi? What a joke. Why not just institute the "Aarons Lucky Dog" while we are at it, and maybe have a race for 4 times the points where everyone has to do the final laps in reverse.

What a complete joke. Stick a fork in F1. It's done!! At least as far as having any degree of credibility at all.
It truly is stunning just how rubbish the 'pinnacle of motorsport' has become and I'm not sure who is to blame, the hobbit and his friends at CVC or the FIA.

Hopefully we don't lose half the grid in the coming years.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3343641)   #112
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
A very complicated grid penalty system to be introduced.

http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/formu...ake-things-up/
As already covered in this thread...

power plant pick and mix

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 13 Dec 2013 at 12:13.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 12:54 (Ref:3343660)   #113
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't think the double-points is a good idea, but I'm not sure it's quite The End of Civilisation as some people have been suggesting. As I said before, they've done it for Le Mans and the Spa 24, so the principle isn't unknown. Granted, Abu Dhabi isn't exactly a blue riband event, but the idea has been used before.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3343669)   #114
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I don't think the double-points is a good idea, but I'm not sure it's quite The End of Civilisation as some people have been suggesting. As I said before, they've done it for Le Mans and the Spa 24, so the principle isn't unknown. Granted, Abu Dhabi isn't exactly a blue riband event, but the idea has been used before.
Yes, it was done before. But races like Indy 500 and Le Mans are so important that some companies and people are in the sport for just such events. Abu Dhabi or the random race of season don't see to fall into this category. At least they should do something to make that last race special. Maybe split it into two 1 hour sprint races or something like that. (One long race wouldn't work because of limited fuel tank).
Old 13 Dec 2013, 15:13 (Ref:3343712)   #115
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
its not the end of civilization but it does get us one step closer to it.

over the past few years they have been incrementally making things more and more artificial with one scheme after another. changes to quali, start the race on used rubber, multiple compounds, revolutionary tires which fall apart, DRS zone, two DRS zones etc etc.

when does it end and will the change they make next off season be the one that ends civilization?
Old 13 Dec 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3343730)   #116
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
exactly. people always think budget caps can only be about the accountants. in f1 it's all about the toys you can use to design it to go better, so monitor the use of those instead.

i do think they need to look at the computer side of it too. that could be a lot more difficult to do, but it's a lot easier than trying to financially limit and control an industry that goes hand in hand with financial shenanigans.
Aero and CFD time will be restricted from next season.

"Windtunnel and CFD work are heavily restricted in the 2014 Formula 1 sporting regulations, which were published this week."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111847

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...2013-12-09.pdf

Also, technical regulations.

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/fil...2013-12-09.pdf

Plenty to read.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 16:05 (Ref:3343736)   #117
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
It truly is stunning just how rubbish the 'pinnacle of motorsport' has become and I'm not sure who is to blame, the hobbit and his friends at CVC or the FIA.
Most likely the lot of them.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 16:13 (Ref:3343743)   #118
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The double points thing is a bit hard to swallow, but the rest of the updated regulations are actually pretty good, IMO.

Having said that, there's plenty to grumble about, particularly now that most people have access to the internet. It came just in time for most of us to be able moan about TGF (the other one). That was the time when F1 really started to be "rubbish".
Old 13 Dec 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3343751)   #119
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah yes, the internet is to blame.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 16:38 (Ref:3343756)   #120
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Ah yes, the internet is to blame.
I'm not blaming it, I'm just pointing out a coincidental phenomenon.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3343826)   #121
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It was all those fanzone questionnaires which put DRS into the heads of the FIA and those types. When the fans said that they wanted to see more overtaking, what they actually meant was that the governing body needed to devise a set of regulations that allowed cars to follow closely. Instead what the FIA gave us was pretty much a push to pass system, which is what DRS is, because its virtually impossible to defend from such a "pass".
Old 13 Dec 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3343850)   #122
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am willing to keep a very open mind, a benefit of being from the new generation I suppose. The numbers system is good, it should hopefully give the drivers an identity their helmets now lack. The cost-cap has to happen, of that there is no question. Double points for the last race: Go on, give it a chance. It's the same for everyone, it may take the title to the wire and make the drivers fight harder, enhance the sport as opposed to devalue it. All too often with F1 we focus on the myriad business negatives, as opposed to the many sporting positives. Because after all, those early days were fabulous, where death was expected and almost accepted. Where our sport was the home of many rich men who payed for their seats. When promotion was nil. But we only discuss the stunning racing, the daring, the bravery. As we should! So why do we refuse to do this in the present. The DRS and KERS and other assorted acronym era has produced some great, fabulous, inspiring racing. We are blessed to be able to watch racing of a weekend, racing where drivers aren't under threat from factors beyond their control. We are lucky to even be able to watch races live on TV, and qualifying and practice. Where we are now contemplating how to make the sport better or worse and can share our opinions of these decisions. We can love the past but we live in the present and for that reason we should love it even more.
Old 13 Dec 2013, 23:53 (Ref:3343860)   #123
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nice post, but on double points you don't have me.
Double points are not a sporting positive. You may be able to argue, although I would disagree, it is an entertainment positive, but it is not a sporting one.
Old 14 Dec 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3344004)   #124
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would suggest an ever increasing points total per championship round commensurate with the progress of the season. So in Australia the winner gets one point, in Abu Dhabi twenty-two.
Old 18 Dec 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3345636)   #125
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This in an interesting interview with Adrian Newey, regarding rule changes and stagnation in F1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111901