Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 Dec 2003, 12:49 (Ref:803644)   #1
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Air Fuel Ratio Meter

I going to get myself an air/fuel ratio meter for my formula vee. I was wondering which meters folk are using.

The main question is do I get one ranging from approximately .78V to .98V or 0.0 to 1.0 volts

There's the 19 led lumenition one (dt page 185) for £116

There's the Link 8 led meter for £79.26

Then there's this thing, its actually £80 http://www.endless-a.demon.co.uk/digi_afr.htm looks good.

And there are autometer gauges, these available with 2 ranges .78V to .98V or 0.0 to 1.0 volts from http://www.gadgetseller.com

Any recomendations for a lambda sensor too?

Any advice appreciated.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 13:38 (Ref:803709)   #2
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
how much gain do you think it will get you? cos if you have one - I'll have to get one to stay a step ahead seeing as we will both be in pre historic cars.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 13:46 (Ref:803725)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I was think of getting one for my car. The luminition one is supposed to be good. I was told that the Honda lambda sensor is one of the quickest to react.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 15:53 (Ref:803848)   #4
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know if I'll gain anything, if my mixture is already good.

The lumenition is already in us ein other vee's, but i think thats because it's the easiest to source. I think the modifified models on http://www.gadgetseller.com may be better and cheaper though. There is also this one that comes out at about £45
http://www.autospeed.com/cgi-bin/bro...&sc_recalc.y=6
Old 4 Dec 2003, 18:03 (Ref:803960)   #5
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
most off the shelf lambda probes only work over a very narrow range and are not much use to us guys who want maxium power, personally i cant see the point in permantly fitting one, although i do have a boss for one fitted in my collector box (an m18 nut actually) its usually pluged using an old pinto spark plug, but when i'm at emerald's rollers we do fit their super duper special 6 wire probe so we can fine tune the mixture, which can be very finly controlled on engine management, although it speeds things up if your mapping from scratch it hasn't actually gained me any power, but with carbs i think it would all be a bit of a waste of time.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 5 Dec 2003, 15:12 (Ref:804832)   #6
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the sensor that comes with a probe or gauge does not have 5 (or sometimes 6) wires coming from it, it is not a 'Lambda' meter. All of the gizmos in the links above use a standard O2 sensor, and are really just eye candy... they won't allow you to tune to a specific A/F ratio, as standard O2 sensors aren't designed to do that. They will tell you if you are rich or lean, though... however much help that really is to you...
Old 5 Dec 2003, 18:43 (Ref:805039)   #7
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shiny side is right, and also as a point, those lambdas are incredibly expensive when combined with their heaters and analyzers...like about a grand
Old 5 Dec 2003, 23:26 (Ref:805236)   #8
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only lambda sensor to use is the NTK N1H1 lambda (the six wire model referred to in earlier posts). All other lambdas are designed to measure A/F ratio at about lambda 1. NTK developed a proper wideband lambda for the lean burn Honda's a few years ago which is accurate from 0.6 to 22 Lambda. In HP engines we are looking at lambda .85-.9 and for that reason the NTK is the only one. It isn't easy to get hold of nor is it cheap (about USD295 from www.efitechnology.com) but it is by far the best on the market. Another problem is that aftermarket AFR meters are not available as the sensor has a whole different calibration. We are developing one at the moment that should be under USD100.