Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 May 2000, 12:44 (Ref:5604)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd hate to be all anti-Our Paul, but the man hit My Max!! OK, so 3 races into the season and he has had contact in 2 of them. I don't care if ya'll think he is the new God, the guy hits far too many solid objects for my liking. If he were in fender bender we would have a reason to cheer for him.

It doesn't matter if it is his fault or not, the fact is that he seems to be a common demoninator. (ok baby Mikey has hit 2 things as well, but Paul just annoys me more.) Can you name a recent champion who hit a lot of objects on the way o the cup? Montoya cracked a bit last year, but after all it was his rookie season....Paul is a veteran by now...
Old 2 May 2000, 12:54 (Ref:5605)   #2
mapguy
Rookie

mapguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crash Test:
Can you name a recent champion who hit a lot of objects on the way o the cup? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Micheal Schumacher? Alex Zanardi?

[This message has been edited by mapguy (edited 02 May 2000).]
Old 2 May 2000, 19:37 (Ref:5606)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All these guys hit each other pretty regularly. I only notice the ones that I don't like, but when you read the note-ups of the races you will notice that they are all out there playing Bumper Cars. At least Our Paul isn't hitting his crew members.
Old 2 May 2000, 22:18 (Ref:5607)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And then he was the one who hit Tags when he spun. OK, it wasn't his fault, but always seens to be the one who puts his car in a postition for some contact.

At this stage i would like to remimd you that he would have walked in the 1993 championship had he not crashed heaps and heaps. Remember he had as many wins as our Nige....
Old 3 May 2000, 00:44 (Ref:5608)   #5
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gotta love Paul, adds some excitement to the races.
Old 3 May 2000, 00:50 (Ref:5609)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, he was going all out for the win instead of sitting safely back in 17th place ... stupid boy that he is. If you liked him you'd say "Oh poor Paul, he was the only one who hit that stupid rookie Tags when he spun out!" (I don't think Tags is stupid.)

Phil Esposito used to say "Shoot the puck, it might go in." That's all Our Paul is doing, shooting that puck.

So to speak.
Old 3 May 2000, 04:26 (Ref:5610)   #7
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rather enjoy Paul's driving style. Unlike some guys who sit back and settle for a position, he goes for it. Sometimes he goes for it a little too hard. But, then most like him do. (thinking of Villeneuve, Moore, both Schumachers)

Old 3 May 2000, 04:36 (Ref:5611)   #8
Roy
Rookie

Roy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crash Test
I was a little puzzled by your count of Tracy's contacts - two in three races. Then I realized you must be counting his contact with Andretti in the Long Beach pits. If so, that is hardly fair to Tracy.
He was clearly nearly the victim of NH's gung-ho pit crew (as was Andretti's vent man in Rio).

It was very unfortunate that Tracy touched Papis. I deplore it for Papis' sake, and for the sake of Tracy's new reputation.

If blame has to be made, then I guess it was Tracy's fault, even though Papis appeared to get the turn wrong and Tracy was on the limit , having da Matta up under his rear wing.

It's absurd to draw any conclusions about Tracy's driving from his contact with Tagliani, other than he was good enough to dodge the bullet.

I can understand your chagrin over the Papis contact, but Tracy, too aggressive ever to be an angel, is not the character you make him out to be.

[This message has been edited by Roy (edited 03 May 2000).]
Old 3 May 2000, 05:12 (Ref:5612)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ok ok, Mikey's thing was not his fault....

But the reason i am counting this year is because lost count in previous seasons....wont let that happen again
Old 5 May 2000, 00:33 (Ref:5613)   #10
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

AndrettiRULES should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It amazes me at how many people will bash Michael's actions on the track, but seem to praise Paul's. I can clearly remember a few years back when Paul came sliding into the Penske pits at Nazareth running into THREE of his crew-members. What was his penalty? A stop and go just like Michael's. Granted, the CART rule wasn't in effect back then, but everyone shouldn't be saying Andretti this or that, it's CART's responsibility to enforce the law.

AR
Old 5 May 2000, 02:09 (Ref:5614)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When you race sometimes you have to force your point, be you either the hunted or the hunter, in CART all the drivers do this, no exceptions. As a result contact is on occasion made, if thats a problem then there's always F1. It reminds of a saying when unintentional contact is sometimes made, how's it go again.....hmmmmm.....Oh Yeah.... "That's RACING"!
Old 5 May 2000, 02:25 (Ref:5615)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Um, somebody thinks Our Paul should have been handed a non-existent punishment for breaking a non-rule? Like maybe they should have put in a rule and made up a punishment just for him?

Isn't that, like, a little extreme?

But then we have people praising Mikey because of what he used to be; maybe it is fair to blame Paul for what he used to be, too.

On the other hand, I'd rather not live my life in reverse. I'd rather judge people by what they are doing now.
Old 6 May 2000, 04:47 (Ref:5616)   #13
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

AndrettiRULES should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We'll just have to wait and see what Your Paul (how idiotic I think naming someone Our Paul, or My Gil...believe me, I'm not trying to pick on you at all and quite frankly don't want to start anything) is saying when Jimmy Vasser wins yet another championship to his ZERO.

Also, since you stated that we should be talking about what one is doing right now, what has Andretti done this season to get you so Anti-Andretti?! He hasn't driven Paul like in 3 to 4 years, basically whenever the Swift chassis first came into play. It still amazes me that Paul is able to fit into a Champ Car, has anyone seen him in person?!

I honestly believe Paul has great ability, just like Michael's. Paul is on the right track, but will ultimately fail like he always has. Both drivers need to learn how to be at the end, more so for Michael, but doesn't he have a championship and 5 second place finishes??

I'd also like to comment on Michael's 'banzai' pass on Blundell at Long Beach a few weeks ago as stated by fellow board members....hate to be the historian I am, but does anyone remember Franchitti's pass on Fittipaldi at Houston last year?! Let me guess, that was a brilliant move, (hate to use the Canadian stereotype language) eh?

I really don't want to sound nasty on this thread, but I can get somewhat upset when people start talking badly about Michael. He's truly one of the best Champ Car drivers to ever drive and yes, his best years are sadly behind him. But I can't really remember Andretti crashing into Fittipaldi on a couple of occasions last year, can you?! hmm....what am I hinting at, just in case if people want to say that Paul started driving 'smart' last year. I was in attendance at St. Louis when he had his brain fade on the back stretch. He truly had a car that was capable of winning, but who ended up winning that race anyway?! Hmmmmm

AR
Old 6 May 2000, 08:51 (Ref:5617)   #14
Green_man4421
Racer

Canada
Quebec, Canada
Green_man4421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never liked Paul Like Andretti though he is alright maybe me liking Andretti is why me not like paul?