Old 11 Feb 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3203144)   #26
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul leedham View Post
you lost me with the sub audible tone but unless there are any changes this year Cadwell use the MSA frequency 169.3375 on the good old fashioned analog system
Tone locks (CTCSS and DCS for the interested) are ways of effectively making a radio only emit audio for transmissions with that tone lock rather than anything on that frequency that hits the transciever. Because of how cramped the airwaves can be, it's a useful feature for analogue. Scanners don't "recognise" tone locks because the signal is still on that frequency.

It'd be best to ask Cadwell directly as they can be the ones to make the decision as to whether they want to release the tone lock or not.
Old 12 Feb 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3203415)   #27
LandieLad
Racer

Japan
Tokyo
LandieLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think when the Ham Radiio fraternity provide some comms on rallies they would use a frequency of around 144.750 M/cs plus or minus 50 M/cs using 25K/cs or 12.5 K/cs incremental steps. Their control may also use talk through boxes with output on the above and input somewhere around 433.700 M/cs or using in band repeater with facilities with splits of around 7.6 M/cs on the 433 M/cs band. Mode of transmission would be F3E or similar although digital modes are used including voice and data (DSTAR and APRS etc)

They also have access to many other frequency bands but seem to stick for local use to the VHF bands of above 50M/cs. Some even have licences for UK General frequencies. Have a look at the Keighley RAEN Site as they provide lots of mountain comms for events.

Further information of their frequencies and operations can be found on the RAEN website and the website of the RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain).

I am not a ham radio operator but this is my understanding of the situation so there may be errors
Old 12 Feb 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3203461)   #28
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I've been at Cadwell I've just dialled 169.3375 into my old AR108 and listened to 'em talking. No idea what that means in terms of sub-audible thingies, tone locks or strings of initials but I hear a bunch of people talking, apparently about the racing. That's been good enough for me so far .

Steve
Old 1 Sep 2015, 11:50 (Ref:3570475)   #29
Britman
Rookie

Britman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depending on the scanner you have you may not be able to enter 169.3375. Nearest I can get my Intek AR-109 is 169.3350 But it still picks up race control.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 12:34 (Ref:3570487)   #30
Wet marshal
Racer

England
TETBURY
Wet marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also used my scanner this weekend @ Heathrow....interesting comments on take off!!
Old 1 Sep 2015, 14:20 (Ref:3570511)   #31
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britman View Post
Depending on the scanner you have you may not be able to enter 169.3375. Nearest I can get my Intek AR-109 is 169.3350 But it still picks up race control.
You need to change the "step" value to tune to the exact frequency.