Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Jan 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3793863)   #1626
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still think Caddy is going to dominate.
Old 19 Jan 2018, 20:29 (Ref:3793864)   #1627
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
I'm surprised any of the DPis got more performance. Comparing them to the P2s at Roar, it didn't seem like they were at a disadvantage. The Cadillacs should have been slowed a lot more. Just saying... but I suppose they might want to make the manufacturers look good at Daytona. The privateers can get their break at some of the lesser races and everybody stays happy...
lmp2 can't get more power, guess the only help they could get is the cut of those 30kg reg. ballast, that is barely 3% of the whole mass.
The same 15kg cut given to mazda dpi, don't know how could be tangible if the car remeined overweighted from last season.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 04:23 (Ref:3793906)   #1628
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Are any of you actually enjoying the racing? And go see a race or two in person? Just wondering.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 10:47 (Ref:3793959)   #1629
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Are any of you actually enjoying the racing? And go see a race or two in person? Just wondering.
I might only get to one race this year .... I might not get to see any

But I have enjoyed the whole process of prepping, reading all the analysis, and forcing myself to accept the fact that either WTR or Mustang Sampling or Whelen is going to win the title yet again. I have resigned myself to the fact that for the tenth year in a row, this won't be Mazda's year. I have once again acknowledged that the results of the season are determined more by the management than by the teams.

I will not pretend that this is the old days, where people were always finding new ways to be fast and "innovation" was actually a thing.

But yes .... I will enjoy every race, if only via TV.

I also enjoy pro cycling, even though I know it is a rolling pharmacology experiment and the winners are the ones who bribed their ways out of positive drug tests.

I am going to burn precious vacation time to try to see Sebring this year .... still not sure I can swing it. And if I make it, I will enjoy Every Bit of the experience (unless it rains.) The only part I won't like is that I can't be at every corner at once.

Remeber Pipo Derani's final stint last year? I do. I was there for that ... as I recall he passed cars twice on the Outside at Turn 7 to take the lead (though maybe not .... I am getting old, and fact and fantasy are sometimes the same.) Yeah, I enjoy that stuff .... some ....

Doesn't change the fact that a Cadillac will win the title again this year.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3794003)   #1630
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't even fully keep track of what we are supposed to think about prototype racing anymore... But I think I've got a few parts of it:

-The old days were the best where the best car wins, and even if it's by several laps, it's still cool to see as an engineering feat to make a fast car last 24 hours and big respect to the winning team and things would be better if they were like that nowadays. Unless a GM product wins, then we are supposed to be outraged by the BoP.

-We love sportscar racing for it's diversity, with turbo I4s, turbo V6s, small displacement high-RPM V8s, and thundering big displacement V8s. Unless the big displacement V8 works the best, then it should be banned and replaced by a turbo V6, because... I forget, is it the series to blame? Or NASCAR? Or corruption and bribery?

-Drivers and teams that came from the Grand Am or Daytona Prototype side of things are bad... Unless they "saw the light" and switched to something with a vague relation to the ACO before they were forced to, then we like them and will cheer them on to beat the other guys, because the other guys are still "evil Grand Am teams" at heart.

-On that note, since Mazda switched to LMP2 chassis for their terrible diesel motor, they are one of the good guys even though they came from Grand Am. Despite the fact that they continually fail on the engineering front, oil the track down frequently, and make us listen to John Doonan, we are supposed to love them.

-ESM used to be a under-performing team and it was okay to make fun of Scott Sharp and their team-specific BoP... But now, since they aren't Cadillacs and Pipo Derani is in the car sometimes, we like them and just say that the BoP is against them.

Last edited by Accident; 20 Jan 2018 at 15:15.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3794005)   #1631
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I enjoy the hell outta it, and I'll be at the Rolex, Sahlen's 6hr, and the Northeast GP this year.
Old 20 Jan 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3794028)   #1632
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yep, I love it. I accept the BOP and the politics, and enjoy it for what it is. This is a modern-day golden age; I've never seen a prototype field like this in person in terms of depth and closeness of competition. (although I'm more of a GT fan) I'll be at daytona, watkins, VIR and maybe Petit, depending on whether I have any work events that weekend.
Old 21 Jan 2018, 01:45 (Ref:3794076)   #1633
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Made it to Road America in 2017; we'll see what pans out this year.

I do find the BoP irritating. It seems kind of ridiculous when we're going after even stint lengths, and counter to the "sustainability" argument that gets bandied about, it seems like fuel stints keep getting shorter and pit stops more prevalent, which just undoes the whole perception of that part of things. (It also can cause some other issues.)

I think what a lot of people miss is the kind of setup where one manufacturer can build a Ford GT40 Mk. IV, and another can build a Porsche 907 2.2, or Ferrari 330 P3/4, and you let it run. You'll want the Ford or Ferrari at Monza, Daytona, and Le Mans, but the Porsche or Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 at the Nurburgring or Targa Florio.

Basically, you don't have the extremes in tracks, nor are you allowed to build a car with only 50-60% of the power, but that weighs 600-700 lb less. And that sort of thing isn't just a pure technological showcase.

As for another comment further up... Mazda is taking it easy, so they called in Joest? Yeah...right...

Hopefully the full-season GTD field fills out a bit more. Maybe not having as many cars with such heavy works support will help there. And the only thing I feel is distinctly missing is a more serious, full-season effort from Ferrari in GTLM.
Old 21 Jan 2018, 12:25 (Ref:3794116)   #1634
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I MIGHT make it to Mid-Ohio, but it's so close to the event we(myself, friends, and family) now make it a point to attend(SCCA Majors/Super Tour) that I may skip it. We kind of prefer the SCCA atmosphere to pro racing crowds - much more relaxed and pleasant, rarely do people take it TOO seriously.
Old 21 Jan 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3794129)   #1635
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I've enjoyed the on track product for quite sometime and it's gotten better with the increased amount of P cars in addition to the fabulous field of GTs.

Many years ago, I got to Daytona, Sebring, Barber 250, (USGP at Indy) and PLM (along with most SCCA events at Road ATL) in one calender year. Budgets and family commitments limit me to PLM and Sebring and I choose the 12 hr over Daytona every other year. It's easier to stick close to Road ATL and some other non IMSA events close to home.

But yeah, bring on the 24! I might have to make an effort to get back there soon.
Old 21 Jan 2018, 21:56 (Ref:3794167)   #1636
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I MIGHT make it to Mid-Ohio, but it's so close to the event we(myself, friends, and family) now make it a point to attend(SCCA Majors/Super Tour) that I may skip it. We kind of prefer the SCCA atmosphere to pro racing crowds - much more relaxed and pleasant, rarely do people take it TOO seriously.
God forbid someone takes it too seriously
Old 21 Jan 2018, 23:19 (Ref:3794195)   #1637
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
God forbid someone takes it too seriously
Fans throwing punches over perfectly proper overtakes is without a doubt taking things too seriously.
Old 21 Jan 2018, 23:45 (Ref:3794206)   #1638
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Amazing.

Anyway. I think we are in danger of dragging the thread down.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 04:35 (Ref:3794238)   #1639
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Are you a SCCA member?

I'm fully planning on flagging @ the 12H - like every year. Depending on how good the show will be - and how we'll be treated by IMSA this time, I might make efforts to go to Mid-O and Petit as well. I also like to add a new track to my still growing list, most likely for a SCCA club event (maybe Blackhawk or Roebling Road, we'll see).
Old 22 Jan 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3794267)   #1640
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Are you a SCCA member?
Nah, just a fan who enjoys the far more interesting than most people realize lineup of cars that club racing classes tend to produce. SCCA and NASA club racing are the best proof of cars not needing to be the fastest to be interesting.

I had a NASA competition license for a bit when I ran in a small vintage car club that was associated with them, but I've moved past those days(and that club has since dissolved).
Old 22 Jan 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3794272)   #1641
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'll be at Daytona, Sebring and hopefully Mosport and Petit.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3794287)   #1642
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Anybody want to take a stab at making the race thread for Daytona? Less than a week away from things kicking off the 2018 season!
That's on you, Matt or HORNDAWG. Once you do something well, it's expected you'll keep doing it, like broadrun and his camp cooking.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3794292)   #1643
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
That's on you, Matt or HORNDAWG. Once you do something well, it's expected you'll keep doing it, like broadrun and his camp cooking.
im gonna
Old 22 Jan 2018, 15:44 (Ref:3794294)   #1644
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I managed to get to Sebring, Le Mans, VIR, COTA, Laguna Seca, and Petit Le Mans last year. So yeah, I guess you could say I go to a race or two.

Getting ready to head down to Daytona for the first time this weekend. Not a fan at all of the track layout or rovals in general, but can't pass up a chance to see that field!
Old 22 Jan 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3794295)   #1645
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I managed to get to Sebring, Le Mans, VIR, COTA, Laguna Seca, and Petit Le Mans last year. So yeah, I guess you could say I go to a race or two.

Getting ready to head down to Daytona for the first time this weekend. Not a fan at all of the track layout or rovals in general, but can't pass up a chance to see that field!
You will like it a lot. The view from the top of the grandstands is awesome! I like being infield for the whole weekend festivities and pre and post race. But for the race itself. I like the grandstands. My goal is to be there at 3 am watching cars fly around. It will be very surreal. Best spot is turn 1. Can see the whole infield easily plus the pit lane. For a race like this you'll probably want to see the pits if you can so you can tell who stops and has issues. Also it is the best list part too.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3794298)   #1646
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Like MR said Daytona as a track is actually really enjoyable, even being a roval. I prefer Sebring as a track myself, but daytona has a vibe and experience all its own. Aside from the 3am grand-stands experience, i recommend being in the grandstands for the start. It's fun to be down in the horseshoe for the early laps too, but to experience the race start up in the grandstands is unlike anything I've experienced to date. The volume, the sheer mass of power and machines. It's pretty amazing.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3794300)   #1647
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Yep, we go to the entrance/exit of the infield for the start as well.

Best place to view.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3794302)   #1648
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
It surprised me how interesting it is in person. From the top of the grandstands at the infield kink between the horseshoes, you can see everything but nascar 4 to the front stretch/breaking zone for T1. Of course the paddock area is cool and main the grandstands have their advantages (as mentioned before), but I never made it up there! Hanging out on the infield docks at Lake Lloyd watching the busstop at night was probably most clear, lasting memory. And it's flat!!

Have fun! The forecast, at first glance looks manageable to questionable from gates open to checkered flag.
Old 22 Jan 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3794325)   #1649
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Thanks everyone for the tips on Daytona.

I am looking forward to seeing it from the grandstands. No doubt that the plan is to watch the start of the race from up above turn 1, that is number one on the list of things to do (that and getting an Alonso autograph).
Old 22 Jan 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3794346)   #1650
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
. Best spot is turn 1. Can see the whole infield easily plus the pit lane. For a race like this you'll probably want to see the pits if you can so you can tell who stops and has issues. Also it is the best list part too.
I agree about Turn 1. The different cars have different speeds coming into the tri oval and sorting for position in turn 1, braking from top speed while coming off banking to flat, and the same time turning, and working around slower cars or trying to keep clear of faster cars diving into 1. Pit road view is a bonus.