Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Dec 2016, 03:08 (Ref:3696306)   #51
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Ayrton Senna is Argentinian?
No. Jack Brabham was born in Bueno Aires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
The crazy thing about argentinian TC, is that those crappy cars are very expensive. You need 500.000 american dollars per year to race. That will give you an idea about what I said about corruption.
I guess it depends on the purse, if there is one.

Back to topic:

I've never been sure about this one. Very late 60s / early 70s. Not the most stylish, but certainly the wildest of days.

Old 15 Dec 2016, 03:30 (Ref:3696309)   #52
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't say it's an ugly one, love it or hate it

sube
Old 15 Dec 2016, 06:42 (Ref:3696327)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Back to topic:

I've never been sure about this one. Very late 60s / early 70s. Not the most stylish, but certainly the wildest of days.

Loving this thread, and some of the schemes! The purple and green 917 is one of my all time favourites.

The original 1971 Le Mans entry was nicknamed 'The Hippie Car', and painted at the circuit with spray cans! Originally intended to be white with red stripes (opposite to the other / winning 917), apparently Piech was not particularly impressed, but sponsors Martini were...
Old 15 Dec 2016, 08:08 (Ref:3696341)   #54
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love the Rebellion liveries, lol. all of them, apart from when Lotus put JPS colours on it.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 10:20 (Ref:3696366)   #55
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

You say

Quote:
Back to topic:
but then post a picture of one of the most beautiful cars ever I'd like to add some nominations of my own, but I realize I am more appalled by body shape than by how they paint it. (in current GT) The Mustang, the camaro, the cadillac, the AMG GT, the BMW M6, the Bentley, yuck all these tanks. Grand Am DPs brrr. No amount of hippie car livery will make these beautiful in my eyes. On the other end of the spectrum, I'm yet to see a livery that'll make a 458/488 look ugly (try me, please).
Old 15 Dec 2016, 12:06 (Ref:3696383)   #56
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
You say

but then post a picture of one of the most beautiful cars ever I'd like to add some nominations of my own, but I realize I am more appalled by body shape than by how they paint it. (in current GT) The Mustang, the camaro, the cadillac, the AMG GT, the BMW M6, the Bentley, yuck all these tanks. Grand Am DPs brrr. No amount of hippie car livery will make these beautiful in my eyes. On the other end of the spectrum, I'm yet to see a livery that'll make a 458/488 look ugly (try me, please).
Ha! The 917 is one of the most beautiful cars of all time and the long tails are the most beautiful versions of it. Take the livery on this a slap it on something else, I don't think it works.

Outside if the Argentine TCs, I am struggling to find something I hate. I have found many ugly shaped cars, however.

I always thought this never made sense. The Olive Garden Ferrari. Fake Italian restaurant, all Italian Ferrari painted green while the British Ferrari in the same races was red.

Not ugly. Just making no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Loving this thread, and some of the schemes! The purple and green 917 is one of my all time favourites.

The original 1971 Le Mans entry was nicknamed 'The Hippie Car', and painted at the circuit with spray cans! Originally intended to be white with red stripes (opposite to the other / winning 917), apparently Piech was not particularly impressed, but sponsors Martini were...
The Hippie car is certainly iconic and a great story. I'm sure people at the time found it too much and over the top,but its damn hard to make a 17 ugly.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3696410)   #57
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The crazy thing about argentinian TC, is that those crappy cars are very expensive. You need 500.000 american dollars per year to race. That will give you an idea about what I said about corruption.
$500,000/yr to run a car in a professional series is stupid cheap in modern day motorsport.
Quote:
God, I hate with all my soul the argentinian TC. It's a core of corruption, manipulation, and applauded bad behaviour, running in very old designs tyres.
What's wrong with crap tires? Makes the drivers have to actually drive the car.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate the 917. Only one that looked good was the one Kremer ran in '81.

Iconic, but garbage scheme:

Last edited by Matt; 15 Dec 2016 at 13:55.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 14:21 (Ref:3696417)   #58
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Yikes
Old 15 Dec 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3696424)   #59
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
$500,000/yr to run a car in a professional series is stupid cheap in modern day motorsport.

What's wrong with crap tires? Makes the drivers have to actually drive the car.

That's what a driver must contribute to the team, it could be cheap in US, not in Argentina.

About the tyres, the problem is not that the tyres wear fast, it a construction issue. The tyres are bias ply not radial. There is no sense to make your early years in racing on bias ply tyres if you are going to use radial at any category around the world.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3696432)   #60
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I especially like the way that getting maximum sponsor logo coverage takes precedence over those annoying little details like the driver being able to see out of the car...
They are not too far from Ricky Bobby.

Old 15 Dec 2016, 15:46 (Ref:3696435)   #61
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I can forgive that car anything because of the noise it made. Step 1: source a Chevy V8. Step 2: wrap it and a seat in cling film. Step 3: please insert Cor Euser now.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 16:03 (Ref:3696442)   #62
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
That's what a driver must contribute to the team, it could be cheap in US, not in Argentina.

About the tyres, the problem is not that the tyres wear fast, it a construction issue. The tyres are bias ply not radial. There is no sense to make your early years in racing on bias ply tyres if you are going to use radial at any category around the world.
Bias-ply tires teach you about car control.

...and half a million dollars is cheap in ANY form of professional racing around the world for a full season.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 17:43 (Ref:3696461)   #63
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

In 1999 I watched this car and livery do 242 laps at the Daytona 24 hr
before throwing in the towel on an oil leak. Finished 61st out of 77
starters. It was certainly different but its livery design did not hurt
my brain.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3696463)   #64
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

I thought the Champion Audi R8 was a horrendous livery actually. Though you got used to it.
Their R8 looked amazing compared to some of their earlier cars. The Lola particularly grated me the wrong way- like someone started out to Jackson Pollock the thing but got bored after 2 minutes.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3696469)   #65
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
especially since arguably the greatest driver of all time is Argentinian
'Was not. He was born in Fife.

Dull green with silly yellow elongated drip was the ugly livery....

jimclark
Old 15 Dec 2016, 19:45 (Ref:3696483)   #66
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Okay okay. I said "arguably".

Besides, everyone knows the greatest racing driver ever was born in Houston Texas.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 23:18 (Ref:3696544)   #67
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Dull green with silly yellow elongated drip was the ugly livery....
Similar situation here. More "me too" livery. Bland basic color, nothing that draws your eyes to the car, numbers too big (as if ease of reading was important?). I suspect nobody paid much attention to this car then or even today. It has probably long been converted to scrap metal.

Richard
Old 16 Dec 2016, 09:27 (Ref:3696603)   #68
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Andy Warhol's BMW art car has something special :
Old 16 Dec 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3696604)   #69
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I like that. I tend to like the old Art cars. The newer ones less so. The latest BMW is just ridiculous.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 10:46 (Ref:3696608)   #70
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Okay okay. I said "arguably".

Besides, everyone knows the greatest racing driver ever was born in Houston Texas.
Bah. If we're goin' 'Murican, I say Mario!.

Sorry 'bout gettin' off topic. I digress.

jimclark
Old 16 Dec 2016, 12:16 (Ref:3696619)   #71
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised Aston Martins effort for 2015 hasn't made it on here yet. I'd loved the efforts from previous years on Aston's and BMW's but this was just...... Bleugh!

Old 16 Dec 2016, 12:46 (Ref:3696623)   #72
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
I'm surprised Aston Martins effort for 2015 hasn't made it on here yet. I'd loved the efforts from previous years on Aston's and BMW's but this was just...... Bleugh!

I'm nearly hypnotized after looking at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I like that. I tend to like the old Art cars. The newer ones less so. The latest BMW is just ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Andy Warhol's BMW art car has something special :
Even though the Warhol one was one of my least favorite, I do tend to like all the older art cars myself.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 12:55 (Ref:3696624)   #73
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Finally, somebody with sense.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 14:29 (Ref:3696644)   #74
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was never the biggest fan of the blue 333 SP
Old 16 Dec 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3696663)   #75
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I actually liked this car, but it fits the thread theme: