4 19 30.16%
3 7 11.11%
2 7 11.11%
1 8 12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Nov 2013, 05:29 (Ref:3326846)   #26
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Was looking fwd to sering Kimi run through the field, didn't happen.

Was looking fwd to seeing Webber stick it to Seb, after a slower start(typical) and KERS problem(typical and nothing new), and Vettel pulling 1.9 seconds on 2nd place in the 1st lap, winning by almost 30 seconds, no battle for the lead, eh, I give the race a 1. Vettel is one of the best drivers in obviously the best version of the best car designed around him by the best designer from the best team. He had a 40 second lead at one point.

Awesome drive from Vettel, but a boring race.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 06:01 (Ref:3326853)   #27
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Whether you like the DRS or not, there's more overtaking in the "pirelli era" than any other in the history of F1. There's also far more cars finishing on the lead lap and the cars are as close to each other in performance as they've ever been. You might not like what it is specifically, but you can't deny there's more on-track action then there's there's been in a while, if ever. I remember when there was sometimes more engine blowups in a race than there were overtakes.

This race was pretty interesting. The top 4 were set after Webber overtook Rosberg, but 5th-10th were constantly in flux and there was action on track between Hamilton, the Ferraris, the Saubers, the Force Indias and Perez. Not a great one but certainly worth watching, and the cars looked great under the artificial lights too.
Agreed. Been watching since the 50s (live or on film until TV) and anyone who doesn't think the racing is tighter now has a selective memory.
We do have a superb driver in a great team with a car designed by a genius, but that's what everybody is trying to be isn't it??
Old 4 Nov 2013, 06:07 (Ref:3326854)   #28
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's Mario Kart stuff. If you like that, then your in heaven, if you don't then you are in trouble. It's overtaking but it's trivial sling shot stuff. Distant are the days when you slowly hauled in your opponent, attempting to unsettle him and with good racecraft, passed. OK, you might still get a bit of that but it's often lost in confusing clutter of constant pitstops and penelope pitstop overtakes.
The good measured moves have always been rare. Engine power and tire grip used to dictate overtakes, now it seems to be gearing, drag from wing configurations and tire grip.

DRS is certainly mickey mouse, and I don't like it. But with the way dirty air affects chasing cars, it's perhaps a tolerable evil to have exciting dry races. Just. Either way, it's a lose-lose. If they bring in harder tires and get rid of DRS, you'll have processions with the current cars. If you get rid of wings or make the cars slower, F1 would lose a lot of it's edge.

My point was that F1 has quite a bit happening on track the last few years, and the suspense of an F1 race is there as it has always been since the racing is probably closer than ever. I've always found F1 races fascinating and I've never been bored watching them unfold when there is any sort of uncertainty. The rules and gimmicks come and go, but the stakes and the competition are still 100% there. And now the cars aren't separated by miles so the close racing keeps things interesting.

But we've gotten quite off topic with this rambling.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3326865)   #29
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The good measured moves have always been rare. Engine power and tire grip used to dictate overtakes, now it seems to be gearing, drag from wing configurations and tire grip.

DRS is certainly mickey mouse, and I don't like it. But with the way dirty air affects chasing cars, it's perhaps a tolerable evil to have exciting dry races. Just. Either way, it's a lose-lose. If they bring in harder tires and get rid of DRS, you'll have processions with the current cars. If you get rid of wings or make the cars slower, F1 would lose a lot of it's edge.

My point was that F1 has quite a bit happening on track the last few years, and the suspense of an F1 race is there as it has always been since the racing is probably closer than ever. I've always found F1 races fascinating and I've never been bored watching them unfold when there is any sort of uncertainty. The rules and gimmicks come and go, but the stakes and the competition are still 100% there. And now the cars aren't separated by miles so the close racing keeps things interesting.

But we've gotten quite off topic with this rambling.
Good measured moves where rare and that's what made such moves significant. Quality over quantity. Now it's quantity over quality where passing is routine and easy sometimes ridiculously so where the rival doesn't defend. Some of the best races on the otherhand might only contain four or five moves over the course of the race but one could relish them all the more. Good F1 required patience to watch but the masses the sport's bosses are infatuated with have no time for that anymore. It's conventional wisdom that they wouldn't pass without DRS. I'm not entirely convinced about that. But nothwithstanding that, DRS will be here to stay indefinetely. All that doesn't make the sport meaningless, there's some skill there to interest one but it is significantly diminished as a serious sporting event.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3326875)   #30
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gave it a 1. Surely, Abu Dhabi 2009 was worse, but still, it was the most boring race of the year. I'm really looking forward to the WEC race next weekend.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3326879)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
And how the does Alonso get away with his move too. He was clearly behind Verge. Left the track. Came back on in front of Verge. That's a blatant off track pass. If there was a wall there he'd have stayed behind.

Instead Alonso demands Verge gets penalised for pushing him off track? Being pushed off track didn't exactly hinder him much did it...

I'd like to see a replay on this.

My question too, just a plain daft decision from the stewards!

Alonso and Ferrari intimidate the stewards once again!
Old 4 Nov 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3326882)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull.....................

Oh, did I mention it was dull?
Old 4 Nov 2013, 08:40 (Ref:3326892)   #33
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Gave it a very generous 4 but with little to play for now the season seems to be dead in the water
Old 4 Nov 2013, 08:50 (Ref:3326897)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
4 from me too. A few tasty overtakes but the same old 'same old' really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
At least I'm relieved I'm not the only one.
By no means the only one, Ayse. I gave it 4, about my lowest score all season, and note that we are currently in the majority!

However, I also, agree with this:-

Quote:

I've been watching F1 for over 55 years and during that time technology has been advancing performance (with rare exception when it had to be reined back) to a point where such development made it almost impossible to overtake/race closely. It seems perfectly sensible to use that knowledge of technology to redress that. So I don't really have a problem with DRS or KERS; everyone has them. The best cars and drivers still tend to rise to the top. If anything it's the constant changes in tyre compounds and their unpredictable wear which irritates me most and restricts drivers ability to give of their best because they are often having to go into conservation mode rather than actually race! Tyre wear should be as a result of a driver's ability to get the best out of them, not inbuilt rapid wear which requires cars to change them after 5 laps or so.

Of course, if you really want to go back to racing where technology doesn't count for much, and the driver is the key difference, then I suggest (with tongue firmly in cheek!) a return to non aero, front engine cars on carbs, with crossply tyres with drum brakes! However, as Roebuck has said often enough and Beryl repeats, there never really was much overtaking in GP racing!
Old 4 Nov 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3326902)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
It's Mario Kart stuff. If you like that, then your in heaven, if you don't then you are in trouble. It's overtaking but it's trivial sling shot stuff. Distant are the days when you slowly hauled in your opponent, attempting to unsettle him and with good racecraft, passed. OK, you might still get a bit of that but it's often lost in confusing clutter of constant pitstops and penelope pitstop overtakes.

All to draw in the masses.
Yep. Exactly that.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3326906)   #36
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
By no means the only one, Ayse. I gave it 4, about my lowest score all season, and note that we are currently in the majority!

However, I also, agree with this:-

I've been watching F1 for over 55 years and during that time technology has been advancing performance (with rare exception when it had to be reined back) to a point where such development made it almost impossible to overtake/race closely. It seems perfectly sensible to use that knowledge of technology to redress that. So I don't really have a problem with DRS or KERS; everyone has them. The best cars and drivers still tend to rise to the top. If anything it's the constant changes in tyre compounds and their unpredictable wear which irritates me most and restricts drivers ability to give of their best because they are often having to go into conservation mode rather than actually race! Tyre wear should be as a result of a driver's ability to get the best out of them, not inbuilt rapid wear which requires cars to change them after 5 laps or so.

Of course, if you really want to go back to racing where technology doesn't count for much, and the driver is the key difference, then I suggest (with tongue firmly in cheek!) a return to non aero, front engine cars on carbs, with crossply tyres with drum brakes! However, as Roebuck has said often enough and Beryl repeats, there never really was much overtaking in GP racing!
The point is that it doesn't take a lot of overtaking to provide drama and excitement. Battles between drivers on exciting tracks where you can see the driver working on the limit are much more interesting. Not manufactured racing on gymkhana courses. Vettel may well be on the limit, but you can't tell. It all LOOKS too easy. Mistakes are not punished and the cars are so reliable that the order never changes.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 09:39 (Ref:3326919)   #37
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I like the track.

I dont like the fact that the race win was not in doubt after the first corner again.

Not sure that two DRS zones are really necessary.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 09:44 (Ref:3326922)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I missed the race and resorted to the BBC highlights on their website. It didn't seem like an exceptional or interesting GP but that's either due to the highlights or due to the race itself. 3
Old 4 Nov 2013, 09:49 (Ref:3326926)   #39
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
The point is that it doesn't take a lot of overtaking to provide drama and excitement. Battles between drivers on exciting tracks where you can see the driver working on the limit are much more interesting. Not manufactured racing on gymkhana courses. Vettel may well be on the limit, but you can't tell. It all LOOKS too easy. Mistakes are not punished and the cars are so reliable that the order never changes.
Yes, but you cannot reverse technological development and then call F! cutting edge. It has always been an area consumed with a desire to push the envelope; hence Newey's and others frustration with some of the restrictions in recent years. You don't get much of that close racing to which you refer to when the driver behind cannot get close enough to challenge because of the dirty air!

I agree Vettel makes it look easy but that is how it is! I'd prefer to see a steam engine pulling an express than either diesel or electric loco. It displays a greater spectacle because you can see it working, but it's old and inefficient technology!
Old 4 Nov 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3326959)   #40
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yes, but you cannot reverse technological development and then call F! cutting edge. It has always been an area consumed with a desire to push the envelope; hence Newey's and others frustration with some of the restrictions in recent years. You don't get much of that close racing to which you refer to when the driver behind cannot get close enough to challenge because of the dirty air!

I agree Vettel makes it look easy but that is how it is! I'd prefer to see a steam engine pulling an express than either diesel or electric loco. It displays a greater spectacle because you can see it working, but it's old and inefficient technology!
I agree in part John. Dirty air is the problem and that has lead to DRS and pitstops as ways of promoting overtaking. However I don't see why the root issue cannot be tackled. We've got some of the brightest people in F1 yet we allow it to develop over decades into something fewer people find interesting or exciting. Aero is king now and when a designer comes up with the best aero package his car wins. It won't change in my view and that's why I'm not interested any more. It doesn't excite or interest me. I'm sure modern dentistry is technically advanced but I wouldn't want to watch it.
Add into that drivers driving to instructions on a regular basis from the pits to slow down or not fight for position and I wonder whether I'm watching racing at all.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3326974)   #41
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Can't disagree with much of that, I admit!
Old 4 Nov 2013, 14:49 (Ref:3327035)   #42
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
5 for me.

agree with Beryl on this. without the aids this race would have been completely pants . for sure im all about the quality over the quantity, sporting aesthetic etc, but when 10.5 out of the 11 teams continually fail to provide any competition, have no answers, and show little to no consistency for going on 4 years now it becomes hard to argue against the band aids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
3 , A race ruined by 2 DRS zones one after another , I will overtake you in the first zone , through the chicane and then you can come past me in the second zone , pointless but I suppose it does put the overtake count up .
actually thats the part of it i liked. some drivers put in the effort to realize that if they didnt make their first DRS zone pass properly they would lose it on the cut back in the 2nd DRS zone.

some of the drivers actually acted like they they had figured this out prior to the race while others seemed to only figure it out during the race (if that even). does this speaks to the relative talent level of this grid or just how little interest they have?
Old 4 Nov 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3327080)   #43
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
4 - and that is being generous. I suppose it doesn't help that it was on another lifeless Tilkedrome. No elevation change and just long straight and technical corners. Plus, the massive run-offs - and there was an issue with having the cars go off at certain places on the track and gain an advantage.

I suppose it didn't help that Vettel just breezed past at the start. There were a few battles down the field - but they just didn't interest me. Only, the Sutil - Hamilton - Massa sandwich was anywhere near exciting.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3327100)   #44
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although I no longer plan my weekends around F1 like I did and record many races while at proper motorsport during the season, yesterday was the first time I have ever switched off a live F1 race in 30+ years.

The point where Hamilton's engineer came over the radio and said if you can't pass him then pull back 2 seconds and save the tyres was the final straw.

Given next season we will also have fuel saving to go with Formula Pirelli I can't really see the point of even watching a recording of the "races".

I will still follow F1 from a far but my motorsport fix is being satisfied by other motor racing, from clubie events up to WEC.

For the first 20 minutes or so that I suffered, I'll give the "race" a 1.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 18:35 (Ref:3327114)   #45
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
8 for me. Maybe it's because I can still remember what the racing was like when it really was dull.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3327141)   #46
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull dull.....................

Oh, did I mention it was dull?
I just quoted your post to double the dullness.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3327142)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
8 for me. Maybe it's because I can still remember what the racing was like when it really was dull.
Man, it must have been seriously dull 'back in the days' if that was 80% of the best race you can contemplate.....

(And yes, sometimes it was dull - and I dare say I moaned about it then too, but I can't really remember the 'battle' (ha ha) at the pointed end of the races being this dull for a very long time.....).
Old 4 Nov 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3327162)   #48
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dull race on a lifeless track with the most ludicrous DRS zones somehow surviving from last year, despite the obvious farce they create.

Old 4 Nov 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3327276)   #49
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who cares really

Its nearly over now and thank the maker for that as this past few months has been pathetic for F1.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3327612)   #50
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I knew you would have enjoyed it........ (About as much as me..... ).