Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Sep 2017, 06:00 (Ref:3766979)   #176
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's not kid ourselves, the St Mary's Trophy is a silhouette formula; under the skin virtually anything goes - a great shame in my view as 'big bucks spending' has excluded some true enthusiasts.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 07:07 (Ref:3766992)   #177
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope after reading the above, people are still interested to see what went on last weekend.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/event...d-Revival.html
Old 15 Sep 2017, 07:19 (Ref:3766993)   #178
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not doubting March spends an awful lot on doing all of this. In regards to recruitment, a hell of a lot of their staff are temps, for obvious reasons, the events are big, you do not need full time staff for them.

And a lot of the jobs you see on their site are on there every year or 2 years, so it must be a tough place to work as they advertise the same jobs routinely it seems. Probably stressful? Not sure.

If you live far away, as I do, it is not doable as an event I am afraid. It is hundreds of pounds for a weekend if you include staying away, and probably a hundred pounds at least to visit and spectate if you include, entry, fuel etc. That might be fine for most of you, but not for me, that's too pricey, so I am priced out really.

That is my point mainly.

I will add, their team do a great job, the events they put on are different to other race meetings, offer something more and that recipe has yet to be replicated.

So, I can see why people do it. If I lived more locally I would probably do more, other than the Members meeting that is preposterously pricey.

But, it's a choice after all. And after being a customer initially, I am now priced out of it. That is why I make the point.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 08:20 (Ref:3767012)   #179
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well a photo from the event is the cover page of this week's Autosport under the headline 'Great Drivers, Proper Cars, Real Drama' so at least it's good to see a historic event getting the coverage.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 09:30 (Ref:3767028)   #180
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Well a photo from the event is the cover page of this week's Autosport under the headline 'Great Drivers, Proper Cars, Real Drama' so at least it's good to see a historic event getting the coverage.
You may have also seen the coverage by MotorSport of the preparation of JD Classic's killer Jaguar...I read the piece after the activities of a certain Ward on track last weekend. It really made me smile.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 09:34 (Ref:3767030)   #181
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
At the end of the day it's a lot more exciting and spectator friendly than modern racing - especially F1 - so it isn't difficult to see why the general public enjoy it so much.

Goodwood has moved on a long way from my first visit when I was 9 and we were with Stanley Kubrick filming Barry Lyndon - renting the house as a film location must be far less sustainable!
Old 15 Sep 2017, 12:10 (Ref:3767074)   #182
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>If you live far away, as I do, it is not doable as an event I am afraid. It is hundreds of pounds for a weekend if you include staying away, and probably a hundred pounds at least to visit and spectate if you include, entry, fuel etc. That might be fine for most of you, but not for me, that's too pricey, so I am priced out really

But that doesn't make it "wrong". I can't afford to go to the Melbourne GP but that's my problem not the race's.

IMO Goodwood, like Silverstone Classic, offer great value. Loads of races, loads of off-track activities, you can be on site for 12-14 hours per day for your money and still only scratch the surface. That stacks up well against the cost of watching 90 minutes of bladder kicking and poor acting in your average Premier League game.

It's Goodwood's dressing up policy that turns me off, and why I infinitely prefer the Classic to the Revival. But I appreciate 100,000 people prove me wrong.

As far as the temporary jobs are concerned, I know quite a few students who are grateful of the extra money the event pays them, and wouldn't want full time jobs anyway.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 15 Sep 2017, 14:08 (Ref:3767112)   #183
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's Goodwood's dressing up policy that turns me off
One does not necessarily have to 'dress up' Midge, it simply a case of not dressing inappropriately. Jeans, sweater, shirt, flannels, no need to wear anything that is not in most peoples wardrobe on a daily basis. Mainly I feel one should not stand out for the wrong reasons.

Some years ago while strolling around St. Mary's I saw a family, Mum, Dad and two young boys all kitted out in Super Aguri Formula 1 gear, they looked rather stupid I thought, completely out of context for a 1950/60's Revival.

No law against it but showing a sad lack of respect for the occasion. What on earth were they thinking? That people would stop and admire their sartorial style?

You don't have to 'buy-in' to Lord March's vision, one can always stay away.

Just as bad, but unfortunately tolerated are the Bishops, Big Game Hunters, Admirals, etc who think that fancy dress is amusing. Were I in charge they would never get through the gate.

Now, where's me bowler hat ...................?
Old 15 Sep 2017, 14:09 (Ref:3767115)   #184
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why do people compare any kind of motorsport event to football!

I do wonder
Old 15 Sep 2017, 14:33 (Ref:3767119)   #185
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My earliest visits to a race track were to Brands Hatch in the late 1950s as an aunt and uncle ran a pub, The Bull, in Horton Kirby. As I recall, the most common trackside headgear was a bobble hat and outer garb was often a duffle coat; very few trilbys or tweed to be seen but I suppose that's the difference between Kent and Hampshire. Toodle-pip!
Old 15 Sep 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3767120)   #186
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
I am normally wearing a jacket and a tie, and trousers not too fancy. This weekend i covered my outfit with a bright blue modern rain jacket, to which none of the paddock stuarts had any objection. It made me easily recognisable for them. They just appreciated that I had to do my work. Also my walking shoes of quite modern snit were accepted as being needed to survive a full day on your feet.

So what I am saying is that you basically get in everywhere if you just would wear an even currently common daily office outfit as long as your (bow) tie is visible.
Old 15 Sep 2017, 15:02 (Ref:3767127)   #187
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We only go on the Friday now, not because of the cost but it's the only day that offers decent track time and a chance to see all of the cars.
So much track time is lost at the weekend with meaningless parades, late start and early finish times, marching bands, etc
The FoS is the same, Fridays only since they brought chariots out one year, even Lord March looked puzzled and he should have known what was about to happen.

I have never "dressed up" for the Revival, most people around us don't either but then we understand we are not welcome on the infield. I can live with that arrangement.

The Revival is a social event for many, a wonderful chance for others to see iconic cars on track and may we continue to never meet
Old 16 Sep 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3767494)   #188
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
HIDEOUSLY Over paid egotistical w***ers abound in both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Why do people compare any kind of motorsport event to football!

I do wonder
Old 16 Sep 2017, 19:41 (Ref:3767551)   #189
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
HIDEOUSLY Over paid egotistical w***ers abound in both?
I find that quite hurtful Zef!
Old 16 Sep 2017, 20:43 (Ref:3767606)   #190
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
≥>>>>>>>You don't have to 'buy-in' to Lord March's vision, one can always stay away

I do stay away. I've just watched the TT race - is obeying the black and orange flag optional these days? A friend of mine was excluded from the meeting recently for missing one of those, so why was the Cobra not black flagged?

Chunder why do I refer to a premier football match? Because it's a sporting event where the spectator cost is easy to find. IIRC we paid well over £50 to watch the Paralympics, the Olympics themselves were even more expensive. The Grand National starts at £42.50. The Chelsea Flower Show is £72. I think GW and Silly Stone Classic stack up well against those.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 18 Sep 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3768212)   #191
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I suppose the other comparisons you make that are yearly events are valid, but stuff like Olympics are once in a lifetime things, so not at all useful as a comparison.

A premier league football fixture is 40 odd times a year, these meetings are one offs so not a fair comparison. And you can get big discounts by buying season tickets etc, am sure you do the same with Goodwood events? But you can attend a one off Premier League game for less than 30 quid at some clubs if you want to, or pay upwards of hundreds, depending what experience you want.

My Dad and his sister go to Chelsea, am staggered at home much that costs!! But some events you might think are dear are ok like Open Golf, you can often attend Monday and Sunday test matches for less than 20 quid.

All this racing stuff is fixed, and for things like Sill Stone you are paying a premium for things you might not be interested in like bands.

All a choice clearly but would be nice of the pricing was a bit more optional for some events.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3768223)   #192
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I thought the viewing figures for the live coverage were interesting bearing in mind the hgih profile of the Revival and the fact that the live stream was promoted and accessable via several media outlets/sites not just the GW website and the thousands that attend, yet the live stream had about 5,000 to 6,000 viewers at the time - if I am reading those figures correctly.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3781623)   #193
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/...7687568666684/

Finally finished working through my photos from the Revival. You won't find fancy dress or paddock shots here - just cars and bikes being driven / ridden in a wide range of conditions. Fashion note - sensible, modern clothing worn at all times :-)