Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 30 Jun 2003, 02:22 (Ref:646710)   #1
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bayliss - Starting to get desperate?

Although there has been no word that Ducati are unhappy with the Australian, Troy Bayliss throwing it down the road in Assen while in third was a sign of a man in desperate need of a good result letting the pressure get to him.

As everyone knows, Troy really started with a bang, with a 5th, 4th and then a podium within the first three races and everyone was tipping the guy to be the first victor for Ducati.

But then came two races where he just dropped the bike - he fell at Le Mans and he fell at Mugello (he's admitted to struggling with the front end) - and then he fell in Assen - although he did manage to remount and finish 9th, which in retrospect is a good result in the conditions.

Now Neil Hodgson came out a couple of weeks ago and appeared very confident of having a MotoGP ride for 2004 while I doubt Loris will be going anywhere after his victory at Catalunya, no matter what other results he gets.

So is Bayliss really in any danger of losing his seat? Is he starting to look desperate for results? Can he get back to his early season form?
Old 30 Jun 2003, 03:33 (Ref:646742)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I certainly hope he can get things together , he is a great rider no one is doubting that but he has had a run of bad luck thats for sure.

I hope he can get his head together and start getting some good results.

I dunno if Ducati are planning ro replace him probably to early to tell yet , but I think if some decent results start happening then it wont even come into consideration.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 07:54 (Ref:646840)   #3
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is too early to worry about that. Give him the season. The speed is there.

Hopefully he won't do a Haga and struggle with the front-end all year. Otherwise we might see Hodgson on the other Duke.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 16:17 (Ref:647347)   #4
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there was anything more to it than a man finding the absolute limit and going really quickly - he dropped it in the wet in SBK at Silverstone (more than once) last year, and he was hardly 'desperate' at the time. That was the start of Edwards getting the better of him (still don't understand that) but it's not because he's panicking. It's a new bike for him, and to get on terms with the Hondas he's pushing hard. I'd be more worried if he didn't drop it now and again, because he wouldn't be riding to the limit.

Haga has always had a front-end problem (so did Whitham). That's why he liked Dunlops as they gave him the best feel. I'm still distraught about him chucking it down the road on Saturday though.
Old 1 Jul 2003, 04:15 (Ref:647965)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Why doesn't Haga ride a bike with dunlops?
Old 1 Jul 2003, 05:32 (Ref:647981)   #6
wreckless
Racer

wreckless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
because only kawasaki use dunlops. and it was part of edwards contract that if he went to aprilia he wanted it to be on michelins

and im not suprised at what baylis is doing, it is what i expected him to be doing. He will go back to sbk next year and bag himself another title
Old 1 Jul 2003, 11:05 (Ref:648202)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's having a go, thats it.

He is showing he is competitive, but the latest spurt by Capirossi has probably gotten to him abit, although at Assen, despite falling off, he nearly beat Loris anyway.

I find it hard to believe they would replace Bayliss with anyone, let alone Niel Hodgson....
Old 1 Jul 2003, 11:42 (Ref:648249)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, I think Troy is safe as Ducati do love the bloke. He's a goer, never gives up even when he does throw it down the road. He's testing the limits of the machinery so you're bound to fall off doing that. But at least we know he's having a real go at it!

IMO Hodgson was talking out his ass when he said he was going to beside Loris next year.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 14:00 (Ref:649695)   #9
ChrisUSA
Rookie

ChrisUSA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Bayliss is doing superbly, or aqt least as good as could be expected at this stage. Ducati would be foolish to judge him harshly. Remember Assen was ridden in the rain in blinding conditions - combined with the ferocious output of the Desmo it's a miracle he was able to do what he did. I think Haga and Hayden deserve a lot closer scrutiny than Bayliss does.
Old 2 Jul 2003, 14:10 (Ref:649704)   #10
Winther
Racer

Winther should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Desperate??
How so, he is one hell of a rookie in the very cutthroath GP-class.
He has already been on the podium, nothing to get desperate about.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 16:05 (Ref:651024)   #11
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Troy has lost the plot.
Capirossi is kicking his butt in the last few races.
Come on Troy, don't let that cheating pr**k beat you!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 21:26 (Ref:651333)   #12
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alot of the circuits Bayliss has been riding on this year have been new to him, yet he was whooping Caparossi's ass in the early part of the season. Caparossi got some time on the Honda last season so he had experince whereas it was all new to Troy. He's coming under so much pressure cause he had such a good start. If he'd had an average start, no one would be fussing, we'd be like "well its his first season in the new class, he's bound to struggle." But when you look at Hayden, Edwards, Haga he's out done them pretty much all year.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 10:01 (Ref:651831)   #13
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hayden? Yes. He's got a great bike. But comparing the Aprillia to the Ducati? Hardly fair, I think.
Old 10 Jul 2003, 14:09 (Ref:657923)   #14
Highlander
Rookie

Highlander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doohan was a crasher to start with' troy is doing a top job and IMO he'll still win this year.

I'd like to see McCoy on the Duke
Old 11 Jul 2003, 11:23 (Ref:658669)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is doing fine. A real shake up to the established guys on circuits that he knew.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 16:21 (Ref:658943)   #16
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Less than a tenth off Rossi in first qualifying is fast. The race is what matters though and Rossi is awesome at Donington, I was there for his first 500GP win And the year after that He flies down the craners and old hairpin. Awesome.

Having said that, those Dukes are magic at the moment and this will probably be Troy's first victory in MotoGP
Old 12 Jul 2003, 22:44 (Ref:659760)   #17
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having a bet each way David ? LOL