Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Aug 2006, 23:00 (Ref:1685547)   #26
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's highly unlikely a permanent circuit could be built in or close to Surfers Paradise now. There would be no suitable land available. Also Surfers has those facilities that i mentioned within close vacinity. I think you are also missing the point re Townsville. They (North Qld) need a permanent facility for the reasons i have stated in previous threads. A street circuit up there will not help them as much as a permanent circuit. I doubt very much there would be any more tourist visitor numbers for a street circuit over a permanent circuit.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1685598)   #27
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Tens of thousands of tourists" going to North Queensland for a street race?I don't think so (unless there is an influx of Chinese devastated at the loss of Shanghai-note sarcasm).The cost of constructing and the annual put up/pull down of a street circuit over the 5 years of the race contract would easily pay for a permanent circuit that would have continuing benefit after The Artist's show haS LEFT.However this would not be as profitable for The Artist and the Queensland government is unable to add up in the same way as the governments of WA,Tasmania ,ACT and NSW who have all rejected street races for The Artist.Townsville will be a street race.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 02:55 (Ref:1685638)   #28
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I don't see how a city the size of townsville and surrounding environs could support a permanent circuit. You'd have to present a pretty good business model to show how that would work. The idea sounds good, but lets see some numbers.
I'm with you on this one. It would be nice, but really, would it be successful?

People could argue that Winton has succeded over the years. So has Wakefield & they are in regional area's. But realisitically, these tracks are within a few hours of major Cities. Sure, these tracks do get locals racing at them, but what is the %? Surely, most of the racers at these tracks come from the major centers.

With Townsville, the major center (Brisbane) is a good days drive away, so really, you could nearly say that racers in Brisbane would give it a miss after a while (I'm sure there would be a short term Novalty factor), so you would be realying souly on the locals. With a base of around 150k people, the potential to fall flat is quite high.

But.... The V8's come on a tempary basis, which creates enthusiasm in the area. This could be the catalyst for car clubs to start, which could in turn create interest for more permanant facilities....
Old 18 Aug 2006, 06:33 (Ref:1685686)   #29
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I think a happy medium like Albert Park would be a good idea.
How is it a happy medium? Albert Park is only used once a year.
Old 18 Aug 2006, 07:20 (Ref:1685712)   #30
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By that I mean a half street circuit half permanent circuit. But I see your angle. Your thinking it can't be raced on any time of the year yes?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 18 Aug 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1686032)   #31
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe they should run the street race there, and when they see how successful it could be, that is when they turn around to any/all relevant governments and say "that was great, but we really can't use the street circuit forever, how about giving us some money to build a permanent circuit now that we have proved that we love motorsport?"
Old 18 Aug 2006, 18:27 (Ref:1686210)   #32
pete55
Veteran

Darwin has a permanent circuit and doesn't have the number of people in the near vacinity that Townsville does. Tasmania has 2 circuits and doesn't have that many people.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 01:04 (Ref:1689245)   #33
pete55
Veteran

I can't recall how many people went to a V8 Supercar promotion when it went to Townsville (earlier this year) but it was a fairly large crowd. This crowd would have mostly came from Townsville. I would think that these people would attend a V8 Supercar race in Townsville whether it was held on a permanent circuit or a street circuit. Therefor would a street race bring more visitors to Townsville, besides the ones that within say 400k of Townsville.