Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Mar 2002, 11:18 (Ref:240761)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Halfords

Team Halfords will run two of the ex-Peugeot Works 406 Coupes in this years British Touring Car Championship, managed by Coventry based race team VLR, a veteran company of the motor racing scene.

The Midlands squad have re-engineered the cars for 2002 with a comprehensive winter development programme and Vic Lee, Managing Director and Team Principal of VLR, believes he has now made significant progress with the engine, aerodynamics, rear suspension and weight. The team has been working non-stop in an effort to transform the skeleton of the Italian imported Pininfarina body shell into the newly improved 406 Coupe that we see today. Team Halfords will certainly be looking for an improvement on the Coupe's 2001 performance, and Lee is confident the drivers in correlation with the extensive developments will give the team a greater start this year.

Vic Lee has over 30 years experience in the Motorsport industry. Having first entered the BTCC in 1990 Lee discovered he had a talent for Touring cars, as his privateer entrant finished in an unexpected 3rd position, ahead of many other manufacturer backed opponents. Lee then continued with the British Touring Car Championship and gained the winning title in '91 with Will Hoy and then '92 with Tim Harvey.

Lee commented; 'It is great to have Halfords on board, the BTCC has a good line up, and promises to be nothing short of spectacular. The Team Halfords recruits for this season will bring an abundance of experience and youth to fulfil the undisputed command that the 406 will require, we have worked hard on the Coupe over the winter months, and our last years experience will help us achieve what we deserve this year."

Tim Harvey, now rejoining Vic Lee 10 years on from his Championship win, will be flying under the same number that he started his '92 season with, Number 8, and will be looking for a similar result this year! Harvey is also the only re-defending Champion on the grid, so his expertise and vast experience will go along way in helping to re-establish his winning character.

Harvey commented; 'I'm thrilled to be working with such a well-known high street name. Team Halfords has ambitious goals and objectives, along with the determination that is needed for the BTCC. The whole team share the belief that if we work hard we can achieve boundless goals together.'

Rising star Dan Eaves stated; 'I am really looking forward to the start of this years Championship season; the BTCC is bigger and better and I'm sure it will be tougher. I will be concentrating on winning races and the Championship title. My experience last year has given me the confidence to really push the car and myself to the limit.

The new look 406 Coupe will have its first turn of the wheel at Brands Hatch on the 19th of March for the second official Toca test, having been absent from Silverstone the previous week. The Team will be showing off only one coupe, but supporters are assured both cars will be out in force for the first race, on the 1st April at Brands Hatch.'
Old 21 Mar 2002, 17:13 (Ref:241004)   #2
Speeddemon555
Veteran

Speeddemon555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now, we can see the VLR Peugeots go up against the Vauxhalls and the MGs.
Old 23 Mar 2002, 11:56 (Ref:242292)   #3
Cleland
Rookie

Cleland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hurrah! I think they look gorgeous personally!
Old 23 Mar 2002, 16:34 (Ref:242388)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if Peugeot would suddenly return to the BTCC if VLR manages to make the 406s really competitive? That could prove to be very interesting to explain?
Old 24 Mar 2002, 11:56 (Ref:242797)   #5
Cleland
Rookie

hmmmmm.... interesting thought! Never thought of that!
Old 24 Mar 2002, 15:42 (Ref:242907)   #6
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
car looks fab i think, and if VLR can bring it up to scratch and turn it into a race winner you never know pug could be tempted back!
Old 24 Mar 2002, 18:39 (Ref:242969)   #7
Cleland
Rookie

Lets hope so, the more the merrrier!
Old 24 Mar 2002, 19:20 (Ref:242994)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope not in a way, Peugeot have never been fully committed to the BTCC.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 22:33 (Ref:243188)   #9
TheLeader
Rookie

TheLeader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personaly feel that the Halfords finance would have been better spent elsewhere.But i can see why VLR chose the 406 coupe, as it is such a hefty lump,there is much more space to have sponsors!!!!!!!!
Old 25 Mar 2002, 09:09 (Ref:243430)   #10
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year there was 3 VLR Pugs, assuming ther one that Soper crashed at Brands last year was repairable is there still a possibility of 3 pugs?

I'm sure when they were advertised for sale at end of season there was 3?
Old 25 Mar 2002, 09:14 (Ref:243433)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There were 3 advertised yes, but something tells me I've read that there were even more body shells hanging about.
Old 25 Mar 2002, 10:44 (Ref:243501)   #12
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree it's good to see VLR back, but in truth this is very much their 'or else' effort as opposed to what they really wanted to do for 2002.

The fact that the cars were advertised for sale over the winter tells us that they never 'intended' to be used by VLR this season, merely they became 'desirable' when building new Lexus cars became too expensive. Didn't Vic Lee claim they would be on the grid with Lexus with or without factory backing?

In reality they may be much further down the grid than last year - as at the very least there is likely to be 6 Astra's and 4 MG's in front of them, before we even consider the other works cars of Proton and Honda that will undoubtedly get faster with more miles under their belt.

The 406 is still the wrong car for the BTCC,as proven by the choice of car from the new entrants.If Pug had continued it would have undoubtedly been with a 307 - remember Mick Linford taking a swipe at Vauxhall for choosing the 'wrong car' pre-2001 season....

VLR have done well to attract Halford's backing and on the surface the outfit looks good, with Tim Harvey injecting some more experience and enthusiasm into the team.

But in the final analysis - if you put a new saddle onto a carthorse - its still a carthorse underneath.....
Old 25 Mar 2002, 11:02 (Ref:243519)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
We would have probably seen Peugeot this year as a works team if they had used the 307. But they didn't want to use that until June/July time when the road car was launched, if they had opted to join mid season I don't think we would have had a BTCC by then. Maybe thats the price we have to pay - losing a works team ?
Old 25 Mar 2002, 19:09 (Ref:243820)   #14
Cleland
Rookie

maybe your right! It is a shame too, I did like the Peugeot. Although I think the IS200 would have been a better car for VLR!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 05:51 (Ref:244234)   #15
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But they didn't want to use that until June/July time when the road car was launched,
I've heard that explanation before. What I can't understand is, what's wrong or "bad" about racing a car that isn't released yet? Couldn't that potentially help get fans and potential owners excited and interested in the car?
Old 26 Mar 2002, 10:03 (Ref:244297)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
It doesn't appear as a big problem to us, but I'm sure the marketing people at Peugeot wouldn't have been too happy, as they'd have one big plan all calculated out for it.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 14:58 (Ref:244459)   #17
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not convinced that the 406 is a fundementally unsuitable car. Is all we know is that it's development was funded by a company who didn't commit enough cash.

Have a look at the 1998 BTCC grid. All those cars were more or less the same shape or size, yet some were much slower than others. Why? Funnily enough, the 406s were at the back...

However, I agree that it's going to be VERY hard for 'Team Halfords' to do well. In theory, all the works cars (four Astras, two MGs, two Protons and two Hondas - that's ten cars!) will be ahead of them.

The other 'privateer' cars (two Astras and two MGs) are no doubt going to receive some significant assistance from their manufacturers, unlike the poor 406 Coupe... and the Alfa 147 and Lexus IS200 (if they appear).

'Team Halfords' press release states that they want to improve on Peugeot's 2001 results... A convincing race lead (ending in a DNF), three third places, 5th and 6th in the driver's championship, third in the team's championship, and second in the manufacturer's championship... I don't think they'll beat that!

Still, I'll be cheering on Tim Harvey, who I think could win the indie cup!

Last edited by runnyhunny; 26 Mar 2002 at 14:59.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 15:04 (Ref:244461)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I think one of the problems that Peugeot had with the 406 Saloon was the aerodynamics package.

I'm sure it was the same as the European championship winning cars(Laurent Aiello took a 406 to German title in 1997 I think) and it just didn't have enough downforce as the other cars. I think this was something the Vectra suffered from as well.

As for the 406 Coupé, tracks like Oulton where it did well last year will be its strong point as apposed to Knockhill which is way too hilly for good acceleration in the 406.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 16:38 (Ref:244512)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I love team press releases - 2nd in the manufacturers championship was in fact LAST.....LOL
Old 26 Mar 2002, 18:30 (Ref:244575)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by kmchow
What I can't understand is, what's wrong or "bad" about racing a car that isn't released yet?
The base car has to be homologated as a proper road going production vehicle. Otherwise you could get the situation where a team enters a car based on what they say they will produce eventually. If that (race) car wins but the road car never gets made or get produced in a different format, what do you do? Reverse all the results, recalculate the championship points and spend months in appeal after appeal until a championship victory is finally declared.

Don't think it could happen? Too late, it has on more than one occation.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 19:42 (Ref:244623)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Indeed redshoes, to the precise manufacturer we happen to be talking about here too !
Old 26 Mar 2002, 20:11 (Ref:244646)   #22
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With good development the Pug could do well this year. Remember, no matter how slow it was last year, it still has a year's development compared to Proton and Honda.
Old 26 Mar 2002, 21:08 (Ref:244689)   #23
Cleland
Rookie

Yer, good point AndyF! There is hope yet!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 21:09 (Ref:244690)   #24
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, although it must be remembered i think VLR completely rebuilt the shells and cars from scratch.
Old 27 Mar 2002, 07:27 (Ref:244926)   #25
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I'm going to stick my hat into the ring and say they will not do well at all.

Remember engines were one of their achiles heel's again last year (weren't they also Pug's bug-bear when they ran the last 406 saloon?), they also happen to be one of the most expensive things to get right.

When they had the wick wound up on Soper's car at Oulton it went pop in a big way, which equals £10K for a re-build - fine if you're a works team and ouch if you're a privateer!

I agree that Pug probably didn't spend what Vauxhall may have done or what Proton, Honda or MG will spend this year - but we are still well into a 7 figure sum. I would guess that Halford's are putting in £500,000 maximum, which is a reasonable running budget but not much of a development and race budget.

If VLR/PUG couldn't turn the 406 coupe into a front runner as a works team, then as an independent team against a strong field they will probably be looking at qualifying in the top 10 as their best hope.IMO