Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Nov 2014, 21:22 (Ref:3477384)   #1901
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Tim, Has it always done this since you've had it or is it since something has been done ? Depending on what sort it is most of the ones that run off the coil I believe you can run it off the + or - side, but don't blame me if you sod it up as they were all fitted with points as you know !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Nov 2014, 21:32 (Ref:3477388)   #1902
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
The rev counter on my MG seems to hover around 1500rpm when driving. It does move a bit but probably not more than 100 revs either way. It does occasionally work properly and it'll go down to normal on tick over.
It's fitted with some fancy electronic ignition and I've checked the wiring and all seems OK. Anyone got any ideas where to start looking for the problem.
1969 MGB 1800
Possibly a case of low voltage output from the ignition pack. The original rev counters needed 12v ? coil circuit to run right .
http://www.brumster.com/articles.php?article_id=10

Article here about a possible mod for them .

But the best answer might be a new rev counter to match the type of electronics you have fitted .
Old 22 Nov 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3477483)   #1903
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, if the distributor is one of 123 Distributors (the one on my 1969 MGB is) then the RVI-type tachometers manufactured by Smiths Company apparently won't work properly. But they can be adapted - if is a 123 check out their website for details. When I fitted a 123 (well watched whilst someone else did ) he just replaced the old dizzy with no other amendments and the tacho has been fine ever since.

From memory there is also some info re electronic distributors and tachos on the MGOC Members Forum - don't know if you have access to that? If not, let me know and I'll see if I can find the articles on it.
Old 22 Nov 2014, 09:44 (Ref:3477496)   #1904
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Thanks for the replies, It's not a 123ignition it has a separate power module which is fed from the ignition via the tacho with an old 12v Lucas coil and no ballast resistor.
I have a123 on the Jag and the tacho runs fine off that, just linked to the neg side of the coil with it's own power supply.
Gordon I'm sure it was OK when I got the car although as the problem seems to be intermittent I may have missed it.

Edited: I've just been and started it and the rev counter is working fine, I think the problem may manifest itself when it's warmed up so perhaps it's a rev counter fault and not the wiring although I have had to replace a few of the multi bullet connectors so one maybe another one is breaking up.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 22 Nov 2014 at 11:48.
Old 22 Nov 2014, 16:33 (Ref:3477573)   #1905
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Had a great couple of hours with Uncle Eric this morning. I recon there is a film there Eric, could of stayed all day hearing your real life stories. Many thanks for the parts and "tea".
Old 22 Nov 2014, 16:38 (Ref:3477576)   #1906
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim, theres a voltage stabiliser thats screwed to the right hand side of the front bulkhead (inside) From memory there are three green ? wires going into a little alloy box.Try that first as its responsible for a lot of revcounter woes.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 18:55 (Ref:3479356)   #1907
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Woooo Hoooo I found the missing calipeers, "in the tea making department". You sorted your rev counter Tim???
Old 27 Nov 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3479366)   #1908
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Woooo Hoooo I found the missing calipeers, "in the tea making department". You sorted your rev counter Tim???
Haven't heard from Tim but he is at the workshop tomorrow and will be able to consult Adam .
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 27 Nov 2014, 20:35 (Ref:3479375)   #1909
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
Haven't heard from Tim but he is at the workshop tomorrow and will be able to consult Adam .

That's because you never call your likkle neph.
Iain, it was working the other day so I don't know until it plays up again.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3479377)   #1910
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ah ok . Just to change subject I am going up to Wimbledon Sunday to watch the super stocks
Old 29 Nov 2014, 10:38 (Ref:3479865)   #1911
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Having an interest in "oddball" engine designs and having owned one of the Ford 2 stoke 3 cyl "stratocharged" ones that was going to be fitted into the Fiesta a few years back I was looking at the advent of the variable compression ratio engines that have been about for ages but are probably too complex for the reliability factor in a std road car.
I don't know when and if the MCE5 engine will appear after millions of euros have been thrown at it ?
Only yesterday I was looking at 4 variable height pistons being made in a small machine shop with their own thoughts on how it should be done, hooray for the madcap independent inventors working in their garden sheds ! http://www.mce-5.com/english/vcri_pu...fficiency.html
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Nov 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3479891)   #1912
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Hope to catch up at HSCC dinner tonight with some tenthers .
Old 29 Nov 2014, 16:19 (Ref:3479927)   #1913
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When was the Ford 2 stroke around Gordon? A friend's son worked on a 3 cyl engine for Ford which he described as twice the size of a shoebox and 50+bhp. He could lift it with one arm. That would have been about 5 years ago.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 20:30 (Ref:3479990)   #1914
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Hi Colin, I started a thread about this a few years back as not many people knew about it. http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93834
I had a good look at it after I brought it from a dyno house that was testing it for Ford, I actually sold it to a museum in Wales that had a 2 stroke Fiesta and wanted some parts to complete the build and presumably it's still there.
Attached Thumbnails
1007259.jpg  
Old 29 Nov 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3480004)   #1915
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
When was the Ford 2 stroke around Gordon? A friend's son worked on a 3 cyl engine for Ford which he described as twice the size of a shoebox and 50+bhp. He could lift it with one arm. That would have been about 5 years ago.
That's the 3 cylinder "Ecoboost" that is fitted to Fords in different cc's now.
This is who I sold it to http://www.internalfire.com/ and I believe that the Haynes motor museum has one.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 29 Nov 2014 at 21:36.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 06:36 (Ref:3480156)   #1916
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A guy I knew in Kings Lynn about thirty years ago developed a 1000cc Ford four that gave 120bhp on paraffin!
Ford were going to build it after buying it from him but for what ever reason it never happened.He then went onto to design and make three pin electrical plugs with a finger loop on it for people with arthritic hands.Sold the idea but again it never happened -in his lifetime.
He then retired selling his workshop in Foxs Lane .West Lynn to Martin Brundles father John.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3480187)   #1917
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Dartford Crossing

In case anyone has missed it, from today you can't pay the toll for the Dartford crossing at the booths anymore. It's all gone over to anpr and you have to phone up or pay online. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...remote-payment
Old 30 Nov 2014, 09:33 (Ref:3480192)   #1918
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
A guy I knew in Kings Lynn about thirty years ago developed a 1000cc Ford four that gave 120bhp on paraffin!
Ford were going to build it after buying it from him but for what ever reason it never happened.He then went onto to design and make three pin electrical plugs with a finger loop on it for people with arthritic hands.Sold the idea but again it never happened -in his lifetime.
He then retired selling his workshop in Foxs Lane .West Lynn to Martin Brundles father John.
Got some in the workshop !
Attached Thumbnails
13 amp.JPG  
Old 30 Nov 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3480211)   #1919
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
In case anyone has missed it, from today you can't pay the toll for the Dartford crossing at the booths anymore. It's all gone over to anpr and you have to phone up or pay online. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...remote-payment
Or open an 'pre-pay' account, which is what I did. You can nominate multiple vehicles to it, and the database knows what class they're in. Only need £10 to start ball rolling and there is auto top up when you drop below that.

Hopefully the change will ease traffic flow, but not sure how come the hike in prices.............

Guess on outward journeys I will continue to leave home early enough to get through during the o/nite free period!

Old 30 Nov 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3480212)   #1920
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I have an online account and was pleasantly surprised when I found this morning that they've actually managed to transfer my old balance to the new company.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 12:46 (Ref:3480216)   #1921
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I have an online account and was pleasantly surprised when I found this morning that they've actually managed to transfer my old balance to the new company.
Thought you might have an account! My only complaint about the whole kaboodle is the hike in crossing charges. Admin wise, so far no problem!

Old 30 Nov 2014, 12:57 (Ref:3480219)   #1922
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Hope to catch up at HSCC dinner tonight with some tenthers .
Good old bash last night despite me getting into trouble with Mrs Delta, Colin was up and down like a yo yo collecting awards well done that man, I got a surprise pot as well. Met some new tenthers and old had a couple of dances with Dikko" fellow retired fireman " that lad can move around the floor.
We stayed at Siverstone Golf Club and Mrs Delta got us upgraded to the Honeymoon room, . I then got up early and ran the 4 miles to Whittlebury Hall to collect car and returned to have a massive breakfast.
Guest speaker was Andy Wallace, Top bloke.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3480233)   #1923
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats Colin and of course Iain.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3480334)   #1924
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Good old bash last night despite me getting into trouble with Mrs Delta, Colin was up and down like a yo yo collecting awards well done that man, I got a surprise pot as well. Met some new tenthers and old had a couple of dances with Dikko" fellow retired fireman " that lad can move around the floor.
We stayed at Siverstone Golf Club and Mrs Delta got us upgraded to the Honeymoon room, . I then got up early and ran the 4 miles to Whittlebury Hall to collect car and returned to have a massive breakfast.
Guest speaker was Andy Wallace, Top bloke.
I'm trying to guess why you got into trouble with Mrs D-

a) Dancing with a fellow retired fireman?

b) Abandoning Mrs D in the honeymoon suite to go for a run?

c) Then returning for a massive breakfast?

Could have been all three- Or something else!
Old 30 Nov 2014, 18:20 (Ref:3480346)   #1925
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
She claimed I had deserted her for two hours as I was in the other bar with all my FF2000 mates . Think I managed to convince her it was only 15 min .
Closed Thread