Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Dec 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3481554)   #101
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Got a very informative email from DT today about the different FHRs they sell. Saves searching through the new brochure! However, one point of concern is that they state 'use will be mandatory for ALL forms of circuit racing from January 2016' which is not what MSA have been saying.......

Far be it for me to suggest that it is their interest to interpret the MSA info in this way, but how many people would buy one because a major retailer states it is obligatory rather than checking it out for themselves?

Probably quite a lot.

Old 3 Dec 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3481577)   #102
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quite!

Old 3 Dec 2014, 21:28 (Ref:3481624)   #103
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Such cynicism in one so young.........
Old 4 Dec 2014, 08:37 (Ref:3481748)   #104
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No "historic" period has been defined, but wouldn't one expect it to be in line with periods that don't require belts/ROPS etc?

Some HANS devices have come down in price quite a bit recently, trying to find chance to update my web site...
Old 4 Dec 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3481808)   #105
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
No "historic" period has been defined, but wouldn't one expect it to be in line with periods that don't require belts/ROPS etc?

Some HANS devices have come down in price quite a bit recently, trying to find chance to update my web site...
That's my thinking, maybe period E and earlier? Pure speculation, however!

Yes, the devices are at least now available at a price to suit more pockets than previous years.

Old 4 Dec 2014, 12:56 (Ref:3481813)   #106
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm assuming you haven't received the 2015 Blue Book yet? So, here is the new regulation as printed:
(e) 10.1(e) An FIA approved FHR device, fitted in
accordance with FIA regulations, is:
(i) Mandatory for the driver of a Single Seater
Racing Car manufactured after 01/01/2000.
(ii) Recommended for the driver in all other forms
of Circuit Racing. This will be a mandatory
requirement from 1st January 2016, with the
exception of Period Defined Vehicles which will
remain as a recommendation.

Period Defined Vehicles are listed in Section B Nomenclature
Old 4 Dec 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3481819)   #107
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCRacing View Post
I'm assuming you haven't received the 2015 Blue Book yet? So, here is the new regulation as printed:
(e) 10.1(e) An FIA approved FHR device, fitted in
accordance with FIA regulations, is:
(i) Mandatory for the driver of a Single Seater
Racing Car manufactured after 01/01/2000.
(ii) Recommended for the driver in all other forms
of Circuit Racing. This will be a mandatory
requirement from 1st January 2016, with the
exception of Period Defined Vehicles which will
remain as a recommendation.

Period Defined Vehicles are listed in Section B Nomenclature
Correct, blue book presumably will arrive with licence in the next few days! The reg is as per recent newsletter. Section B in 2014 BB lists the periods, but doesn't tell us which are the exceptions, unless the meaning is all periods up to and including H (end of 1976).....
Old 5 Dec 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3482152)   #108
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Hans is on my Christmas list, having had a read up, with an FiA seat and harness, posts already drilled in my lid, its a simple job, and I've tried one on already.

A no brainer really, if you'll pardon the pun!
Old 5 Dec 2014, 10:42 (Ref:3482168)   #109
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, Joe. As much as I hate the lifing of seats and belts, etc. the HANS thing is sensible. I invested in two earlier this year for the lads driving the Cortina. I couldn't live with myself if anything bad had happened.
One required a new helmet as well but someone (Hedtec?) was doing a deal and I got helmet and HANS at a decent price.
The other helmet, a Bell, was already drilled so all I needed there was a post kit and the HANS.
Old 5 Dec 2014, 17:13 (Ref:3482269)   #110
Heightswitch
Racer

England
Oop Norf
Heightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHeightswitch should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree. A hans will be on list at end of next year when my perfectly good A/FR is binned..I will try on in car to see what else may need changing.

Lifeing of harnesses really irks me though.

N
Old 8 Dec 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3483112)   #111
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Harnesses stretch, they're supposed to, its in the warp/weft weave . . . they also chafe and wear.

bit of a bugger when you don't race much though.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3483190)   #112
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd already decided that it was time to get a FHR before I saw that it was going to be made compulsory. Decision coincided with the package offers from a certain motor racing apparel provider located in Northamptonshire. So I'm now equipped with a nice new Bell open face helmet and Hans device.

I've tried it on in the Grantura and whilst I wouldn't say its the lap of luxury, it maybe wasn't as bad as I expected. Jon with whom I sometimes do 2 driver races has worn one for years and assures me that when the red lights go out you completely forget you 're wearing it.

Also tried a few pit stop change fast in and out of car mock-ups (ah the long winter nights etc.) and its certainly more clumsy than without but what price your life?

Neil you should be fine with it in your Griffith as you're contending with the same micro sized doors and miniscule cockpit that I am.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 09:52 (Ref:3483369)   #113
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alternatives to the HANS.

Are many people considering the "other" approved frontal head restraints - Hybrid and Hybrid Pro?

Jim
Old 9 Dec 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3483376)   #114
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Harnesses stretch, they're supposed to, its in the warp/weft weave . . . they also chafe and wear.

bit of a bugger when you don't race much though.
That's all true but the point is that they don't chafe and wear if you don't race much! As I have said before, military aircraft use the same sorts of belts, probably made by the same manufacturers for all I know, they are used most days, and certainly FAR more than race car belts and they are NOT lifed. They are subject to a regular inspection and servicing regime, let's call it "scrutiny". Chafed or worn or contaminated then binned. If they are inspected and are ok, then ok to use them.

I have seen oil stained race belts that are still in life, but pass Scrutineering and I have seen aircraft belts that are newish but binned for the same reason.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3483388)   #115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Are many people considering the "other" approved frontal head restraints - Hybrid and Hybrid Pro?

Jim
Yes- considering Simpson, but not purchasing any version yet.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3483399)   #116
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also leaning towards Simpson. But keen to hear of any more first hand experience before investing.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3483407)   #117
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
That's all true but the point is that they don't chafe and wear if you don't race much! As I have said before, military aircraft use the same sorts of belts, probably made by the same manufacturers for all I know, they are used most days, and certainly FAR more than race car belts and they are NOT lifed. They are subject to a regular inspection and servicing regime, let's call it "scrutiny". Chafed or worn or contaminated then binned. If they are inspected and are ok, then ok to use them.

I have seen oil stained race belts that are still in life, but pass Scrutineering and I have seen aircraft belts that are newish but binned for the same reason.
The problem is the time it takes to check all this, plus the training required to understand how bad/good bits like e.g. belts are. If you want a thorough job done, then it will take time and scrutineering is unlikely to finish before curfew. Equally, someone has to pay for the training courses which will result in an increased licence fee.

So you pays your money and you takes your choice.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3483438)   #118
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also leaning towards Simpson, see testament from Cliff Ryan earlier in this thread.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 10 Dec 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3483821)   #119
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had done a fair bit of homework about 18 months ago into the Simpson range. At that stage they weren't FIA approved, or at least the less expensive ones weren't. About 12 months ago things changed in that regard and I decided to purchase for 2014. As it turned out Mark Higgins was at the Autosport Show and had started importing them. I was bought one there and then on Thursday morning.

My view is that they are fundamentally a better thing than a HANS. They offer side protection, which isn't as important if you have a winged seat, but otherwise it seems a good idea.

I am tall and broad chested. I bought the XL Hybrid. Wish I had got custom straps...see below. I got the sliding mount, which enables you to twist your head a little side to side, and I got the quick release ends with the funny dangling yellow straps

I bought a trackday M3 to pound around GW before the Members Meeting and used Simpson device in the OMP seat in that car. In the tin top I don't know I was wearing it. It wasn't a drama to belt up (on my own as I haven't got a mechanic). A little practice putting the quick release clips on gets it sorted. Getting out in a hurry is easy

In my American 50s sports car, the seating is somewhat primitive. I sit on the floor and against the bulkhead, wedged between the bodyside and the trans tunnel. Not luxury, but the last thing on your mind when worrying about the lack of brakes! My back is rather arched. In this sitting position the device wasn't as much of a success. If you pull your head forward the device slipped under the belts. Having tried various adjustments, and with much help from the suppliers, I concluded that the seat is fundamentally unsuitable.

BUT, then I looked at the Simpson range and they have an advanced device from drag racing that has additional straps that run from the centre of the back, around past the kidney to the harness buckle. so I rigged up something similar and hey presto problem solved in the Kurtis

I have been mocking up a new seat in a 50s Indy car this month and the Simpson located properly in that car which has a proper seat without an arched back.

So in conclusion I am totally happy with my Simpson and would recommend one over a HANS. I think the 2015 models are better than the one I bought.

PS If anyone is wondering about the merit of any FHR system, then there is an excellent youtube video of a rally car going into a ditch at 50mph where the navigator has a HANS,,,,,,worth a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE

Geraint
Old 10 Dec 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3483844)   #120
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you Geraint, that's very helpful.
Old 2 Jan 2015, 22:41 (Ref:3489615)   #121
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well having made the decision to purchase a FHR and asked family for vouchers for Christmas took a trip to Wrexham this morning and purchased the Simpson version.
I am seriously struggling to convince the wife of its validity and it is not another case of "All the gear no idea" which she seems to believe I am a founder member of!
It is for use in my Cooper 500 which is not and will not be mandatory but think it better to be as safe as I can.
Happy New Year to all and safe racing in 2015
Stuart Wright
Old 3 Jan 2015, 10:43 (Ref:3489694)   #122
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was very nearly there myself yesterday. Wifey is itching to go there to get my Christmas present (new gloves) but I'm not to keen on spending another £500+ so soon after Christmas!
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 3 Jan 2015, 14:04 (Ref:3489718)   #123
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have the Schroth version. Had it for a few years now. At one time it was the only FIA approved device. It does have the disadvantage of getting caught on roll cages when exiting the car. But it seems expensive to junk it in place of the Simpson when it works perfectly well.

I realise the Simpson has the additional benefit of side protection.
Old 3 Jan 2015, 16:04 (Ref:3489732)   #124
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The usual problem of technology improving so rapidly that devices become superseded very quickly! Early adopters are always hit hardest, but at least are able to take advantage of said device.....

Old 3 Jan 2015, 17:19 (Ref:3489741)   #125
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, and lest we forget, there was a non FIA approved device that was promoted a while back. So I'm pleased the Simpson solution has been approved. It also creates a better market place.