Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Feb 2008, 11:30 (Ref:2133244)   #26
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yep, there's a Prodrive version of the new STI coming out later in the year.

Meanwhile, Litchfield Imports are working on a 350+bhp version of the Jap spec car.
Old 20 Feb 2008, 15:35 (Ref:2133412)   #27
XRS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex coast
XRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree that the 22B is the best looking classic, but I do rather like the blobeyes. I moved to mine from an STi IV, which was hardly a head-turner

I think the blobeye has much more presence

It seems that mechanically the new car is much improved on the previous models, but its looks are a bit like marmite
Old 20 Feb 2008, 18:27 (Ref:2133515)   #28
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would anybody buy a 2008 Impreza, it looks exactly like Seat Altea, when there's something so gorgeous and mean looking as Lancer Evo X?
Old 20 Feb 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2133528)   #29
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Because

a) it looks nothing like an Altea
b) the Evo X might have a pretty body, but it's uttelry gash inside (yes even worse than the Subaru)
and c) the STI will eat the Evo X for breakfast!
Old 24 Feb 2008, 19:13 (Ref:2136762)   #30
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I spent the whole week driving several 2008's on a racetrack, maybe a couple hundred laps total, right seat and left and I think it's a great car. The double wishbone suspension in the back has nullified some of the harsh ride of previous models. It's very predictable at the limit and has heaps of grip and still accelerates like a scalded cat. I also think the seats are a bit better and the gearbox and steering are more friendly.

I don't think you could go wrong buying one of these.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2156590)   #31
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Having driven my Legacy to within an inch of its life (literally a couple of times on the Applecross pass...), I'm definitely thinking in terms of a new Impreza STI as my next car. There's just nothing else I would ever consider (I'm a Subaru fan, I could NEVER buy a Mitsubishi!) that delivers the same kind of performance for that kind of money.

Pictures will of course be posted if and when!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2156670)   #32
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fifth Gear test of the new Subaru WRX up against a Golf GTi, the new Subaru was 2 secs per lap slower round the track !
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wwJa1fftrr0
Old 19 Mar 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2156678)   #33
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
1. That's the WRX, which - in the 2008 model - is a very very poor relation to the wider tracked, properly set up, 300bhp, fire-breathing STI.
2. VBH doesn't know how to drive a 4wd car quickly.
3. I don't think a single Fifth Gear shootout has been believable.

The standard WRX and Golf GTI would be very close performance-wise ... and the GTI might actually be a tad quicker due to far better set up. But of the £20k hot hatches I'd rather have a Focus ST or a Megane R26.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2156724)   #34
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I take the Fifth Gear shoot outs with a pinch of salt. Sometimes they give away the car that 'wins' - I can't help but think they pre-arrange the car they're giving away and just make out it won!

As for Mitsi's, I went along to see an Evo 9 FQ360 with my brother at the weekend. Still silly money, but 5k off cos it's the old model..
Old 20 Mar 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2156832)   #35
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
If you go back, ask the dealer what FQ stands for. Always a hilarious test of how polite he is!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 01:49 (Ref:2156868)   #36
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Having driven my Legacy to within an inch of its life (literally a couple of times on the Applecross pass...), I'm definitely thinking in terms of a new Impreza STI as my next car. There's just nothing else I would ever consider (I'm a Subaru fan, I could NEVER buy a Mitsubishi!) that delivers the same kind of performance for that kind of money.

Pictures will of course be posted if and when!

Possibly,the best bit of tarmac on these shores.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 03:25 (Ref:2156895)   #37
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've done about 3000 laps in the 2008 Subaru STI.

The ride quality is really good. It doesn't feel harsh like the old one. The old models were great, but the new one with the double wishbone rear suspension is a car you can live with every day.

Also the level of grip is phenomenal. Obviously you can unstick the car from the road, but it takes a hell of alot of effort to do so. I run it with the VDC off(VDC still kicks in near point of no return though) and if I do get oversteer it is very controllable. In the wet with VDC off, I can drift it easily and do handbrake turns. The nice thing is that it is very predictable with no surprises when driving at the limit.

Also you can play around with the diff settings and SI drive settings which is nice.

I love the car.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 11:34 (Ref:2157145)   #38
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
This is one of the big factors in it becoming an option for me. Yes I want more performance, but I also want a car i can live with every day. That wasn't the case with the outgoing car, but it is with the 2008 version.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 14:33 (Ref:2157307)   #39
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Exactly. By coincidence my brochure arrived in the post today and I think the car looks very good. But I am not interested in a pointless test drive with my local dealer, followed by an hour's hard sell. This is a particularly unimpressive dealer. I have already walked away from them twice and bought elsewhere.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2157331)   #40
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
If you're happy to name & shame, which dealer is that?

Most Subaru dealers i've dealt with have been pretty good. As is often the case, the longer they've been selling Subarus the better - some of the new dealers don't "get" the brand.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2157713)   #41
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
This is one of the big factors in it becoming an option for me. Yes I want more performance, but I also want a car i can live with every day. That wasn't the case with the outgoing car, but it is with the 2008 version.
Yes I think that's what you'll find is the new one is very drivable and comfortable enough to use everyday.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2158836)   #42
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If you're happy to name & shame, which dealer is that?
Sparshatts of Botley, which is near Southampton. I bought my RB5 from a very good dealer in Salisbury, but they lost the franchise. There have briefly been dealers in the Bournemouth area, but neither of them lasted long.

I'm sure there are good dealers around, just not in my neck of the woods.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2158919)   #43
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Ah, bit of a trek up to Cheshire then. My local dealer is Monks Heath, near Macclesfield. Always had great service from them.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2158971)   #44
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Well, I'm in Cheshire right now, but a bit busy at Oulton Park! Don't suppose they would be open tomorrow...
Old 22 Mar 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2159266)   #45
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Sadly not. Bit too out in the sticks for Sunday opening...
Old 4 Apr 2008, 18:17 (Ref:2169747)   #46
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might be worth reading if you are thinking of buying an STI
http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/02042008/36...truggle-0.html
Old 4 Apr 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2169900)   #47
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
The Evo X is stunning to look at, but I'm not convinced it's much better inside, and I've read so many different reports of them on the road...

I'm a Subaru man though - even if the Evo was hugely better to drive (which it isn't) I could never buy one.

Reading that yahoo review, they didn't even get close to exploring the abilities of each car. If they had, they might have discovered some of the STI's true character. (According to far more trustworthy reviews, such as EVO magazine).
Old 11 Apr 2008, 10:33 (Ref:2175128)   #48
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
I'm a Subaru man though - even if the Evo was hugely better to drive (which it isn't) I could never buy one.

Reading that yahoo review, they didn't even get close to exploring the abilities of each car. If they had, they might have discovered some of the STI's true character. (According to far more trustworthy reviews, such as EVO magazine).
My feelings exactly, but I had a mildly disturbing moment in the paddock at Snetterton during the week.

From a distance I saw a white Japanese-style hatchback parked up and I thought to myself 'Oh, that must be the Toyota that people say looks like the latest Subaru Impreza', so I wandered over to have a look only to discover when I drew near that it was an Impreza! Only the basic model and in boring white, but it did look very ordinary.

I really am going to have a test drive in an STI version to re-assure myself. I see from this week's Autocar that they have taken delivery of one as a long term loan car, so I shall be keeping an eye on their reports.
Old 16 May 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2204273)   #49
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Had a test drive in a 2008 STI today.

And a proper chat with the sales manager - who's running it as his daily driver.

In short, it's the Legacy Spec B and the old Impreza rolled into a single package - with more power and better handling.

The order isn't signed yet ... but the pen is hovvering.
Old 29 May 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2214957)   #50
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
The order isn't signed yet ... but the pen is hovvering.
Well?