Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 14 Apr 2003, 14:07 (Ref:569072)   #1
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where have they gone???

The latest round of the Super Coupe Championship at Pembrey saw the appearance of:

4 Honda CRXs
5 Rover 216GTis
1 Renault 5
0 Renault Clios

Five or six years ago, there were maximum grids of these cars, and in some cases two full grids. Where have they all gone??!!
Old 14 Apr 2003, 16:21 (Ref:569168)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suspect some of them might have been written off over time. Other than that, Pembrey doesn't usually attract the largest of entries so things may pick up on a more centrally-located track.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 16:51 (Ref:569189)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hmmm entry fees?
Old 14 Apr 2003, 17:05 (Ref:569205)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The lack of R5s and Clios doesn't surprise me. The Fives that have been out in recent years were getting very tatty and well past their best. I seem to recall a couple of accidents at Brands at the end of last year which took care of at least 2 cars, probably terminally.

Think I've only ever seen one Clio in Super Coupes.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 17:37 (Ref:569249)   #5
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree that some of the R5s were a bit past their best, although the one racing at Pembrey was able to keep pace with their rivals.

I remember a few years back there were three or four clios in the championship, but not all of them competed in every round - although you couldn't really miss them - especially the pink one!

The Porsche 944s now compete in the second group in the Super Coupe Cup. I had thought this was because the 944 series was to be discontinued. However, the 944 series is alive and well, and although six made it out at Pembrey they were off the pace.
Old 14 Apr 2003, 18:07 (Ref:569280)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you're confusing 944s with 924s there Andy. I notice that the multi-marque class in the other group includes a couple of Integras and a Primera. Anyone know the history of these cars?
Old 14 Apr 2003, 20:23 (Ref:569403)   #7
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adrian Churchill told me last year that he was possibly going to get one-is one of those his? The Rover GTi's may have a problem with shell availability or so I wa told last year-one was virtually written off last year at Combe and the driver paid as much to have it pulled out for virtually the same as some have been up for sale completeand ready to race...all very strange!
Old 14 Apr 2003, 20:52 (Ref:569440)   #8
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Adrian Churchill was in an Integra, Jason Hughes a Primera and Adrian Churchill a Vectra at Pembrey. Wasn't Adrian in a Tomcat before? Can't remember...
Old 15 Apr 2003, 07:08 (Ref:569832)   #9
AndyF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sowman
I think you're confusing 944s with 924s there Andy. I notice that the multi-marque class in the other group includes a couple of Integras and a Primera. Anyone know the history of these cars?
Yeah that's what I meant
Old 15 Apr 2003, 08:52 (Ref:569885)   #10
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes Ian, "IAN" used an all black Tomcat-presumably now using brother Adrian's Vectra...not sure how Adrian could have raced 2 different cars in the same race though...those MN race reports must make interesting reading!
Old 15 Apr 2003, 20:14 (Ref:570469)   #11
Ian Sowman
Veteran

You knew what I meant. It was a good job I was at Anglesey and not Pembrey, really.
Old 8 May 2003, 07:46 (Ref:593165)   #12
AndyF
Veteran

A bit of an improvement in the last round at Donington. Two pretty full grids.

Proton Coupe x5
Honda CRX x7
Rover 216 x5
Ford Focus x2
Peugeot 106 x1
Renault 5 x1
Honda Integra x2
Vauxhall Vectra x3
Rover Tomcat x8
VW Vento x1
Porsche 944 x6

43 cars by my count. Perhaps the location of the 1st round didn't help.