Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 Oct 2007, 09:04 (Ref:2047552)   #1
XRS
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sussex coast
XRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1984 Toyota Celica Turbo restored

I came across this link on another forum and Fred Gallgher thought it would be of interest on here.

http://www.mat.fi/project1984toyotacelicaturbo.htm

The workmanship involved looks amazing. Good to see a piece of rallying history restored

Hope this is the right part of the forum.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 09:26 (Ref:2047576)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Blimey I thought my IROC project was a bit daunting but compared to that car originally its like showroom spec! Fabulous job but I must say they replaced so much of the rotten original would it not have been as well to have just started with a sound shell from scratch there must be absolutly thousands of pounds invested in that are they really worth that sort of money (I honestly dont know) or am I being an old Phillistine here?
Old 23 Oct 2007, 09:05 (Ref:2048776)   #3
Fred Gallagher
Rookie

Fred Gallagher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a stunning car, probably because it was rear wheel drive which was not what Ove Andersson wanted but Japan insisted. It won 5 WRC events in all. I think very few remain so it was worth the effort.

Fred
Old 23 Oct 2007, 10:12 (Ref:2048851)   #4
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My God that's an incredible restoration. As Al says it probably would have been easier to build a brand new car from scratch with a tidier shell, but then it wouldn't carry the provenance of that original rally car. A totally stunning job. How long did it take to do... and how much did it cost ?
Old 23 Oct 2007, 16:57 (Ref:2049365)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This must have cos hundreds of thousand to do, I am imagining that it must be one of teh cars from Juhas provate collection?
Old 2 Nov 2007, 20:07 (Ref:2058157)   #6
Zep
Rookie

Zep should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I understand correctly they are about to restore a second one..:
http://www.mat.fi/projects3.htm