Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1259046)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Klien may be replaced by Liuzzi?

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=32363
There is still talk of having Liuzzi replace Klien. What are your thoughts on this? To me Klien has been driving quiet well so I don't see the point. Not that it's fair to make harsh judgements, but Liuzzi has gone off in practice both races.

Side note: Apparently after making one of his qualifying runs DC radioed in and said "tell Christian to run more front wing." That is the kind of mentor a newer driver needs. Kudos to DC for being there for the team, I've gained a lot of respect for him this year.

Last edited by Snrub; 22 Mar 2005 at 18:21.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1259052)   #2
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Bull will gather enough data over the coming races to see whether Klien or Liuzzi is the better bet.

DC and CK have both driven very well, but if CK is to have a future in F1 he needs to blitz DC. DC has done a superb job this year, but he is an established benchmark. We all know that Mika and Kimi were quicker than DC, and every team is looking for the best.

If Liuzzi is the real deal, and his test times prove he is better than Klien, he will have a golden opportunity to benchmark himself against the known quantity of Coulthard. If Red Bull find they have a driver under contract who is consistently faster than DC, they may have found the next Kimi to either keep to themselves or sell on to Ferrari (in return for engines.....?)
Old 22 Mar 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1259054)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't see the logic of it myself, Klein is doing a good job most improved driver of 2005 so far. Luizzi is fast, but as RBR seem to be going well as it I would have thought the old 'if it 'aint broke' motto would be pertinent.

Much of this comes from Marko I believe, who has the 'ear 'of team owner DM.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1259063)   #4
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=32363
Side note: Apparently after making one of his qualifying runs DC radioed in and said "tell Christian to run more front wing." That is the kind of mentor a newer driver needs. Kudos to DC for being there for the team, I've gained a lot of respect for him this year.
Do you have a source for that, if its true, kudos to DC. I always have respected him, but he has been born again in this RBR outfit. I dont very much if DC doesnt stay with RBR for another 3 years.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1259069)   #5
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub

he did the same in Australia, he radioed in that T1 was a bit slippery as a warning for Klien
Old 22 Mar 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1259079)   #6
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO both Klien and Liuzzi deserve to have full-time drives in F1. Horner remarks that "we do not want to lose Liuzzi" - is he suggesting that RBR will lose Liuzzi unless VL gets a chance to race very soon? Perhaps to Sauber?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1259095)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can understand how they want to get Liuzzi in the car, but it would be rather harsh on Klien to be replaced after a couple of good races.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1259101)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently the plan was to rotate them in three race stints
Old 22 Mar 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1259102)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Certainly Klein deserves a chance to go on after two good race....But I do suspect though that Liuzzi is faster than CK over a single lap...just a hunch though.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 20:46 (Ref:1259171)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Klien was good last year IMO and he's confirmed my confidence in him this season so far. He's a good driver and is getting results. He also works well with DC.

Liuzzi coming in would be a shame for Klien. As much as I like Liuzzi (he was amazing in f3000 last season) I don't want to see Klien ousted. If he was underperforming, fine. But he isn't, so why drop him?

Off topic, but Mr Marko is getting on my nerves a great deal. This is the guy who threw a flip at Sauber because they chose to run Raikkonen instead of Bernoldi. Does he think he's God or something?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1259172)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Klien has been faster than DC in qualifying so far, although this is perhaps down to DC's problems with one-lap qualifying runs. In terms of race pace he hasn't matched DC but has been quite impressive, although I know they were always planning to rotate the two drivers, so there isn't really a story here. The only issue is, who will eb the thrid driver in the races Liuzzi does?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1259183)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC's qualifying has been solid - he was ahead on the grid in Australia - and only a fraction behind in Malaysia - and as we've heard David is giving Christian help.

Scott Speed would likely be the third driver when Liuzzi races - although this may compromise his GP2 campaign.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1259201)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Off topic, but Mr Marko is getting on my nerves a great deal. This is the guy who threw a flip at Sauber because they chose to run Raikkonen instead of Bernoldi. Does he think he's God or something?
No, but he has an eye for a good driver.

(Ooh, I am SOOO heading for Hell tonight.)
Old 22 Mar 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1259211)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14

I suspect your reference (black humour though it is) will be over the heads of many
Old 22 Mar 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1259216)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I think maybe RBR thought that Klien may mess up in the first few races, so then could be "excused" for replacing him with Rat Boy.
In reality, the opposite has happened, Klein has done very well, this makes it hard for the team to give him the elbow.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1259225)   #16
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. I've felt that since Red Bull said they would share the ride, that they were just looking for a reason to drop Klien.

They haven't found that reason yet.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1259229)   #17
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Helmut Marko has wanted Klien out since Red Bull took over the team but was supposedly afraid of the reaction of the Austrian press. Now that Klien is performing so well (far improved since last year), surely he'd have the sense to let him show us how good he can really become? However good Tonio is (very, perhaps) and however much he wants to race (lots), spending his time right now testing and learning the tracks is a much better idea. Alas, common sense and Halmut Marko rarely meet. As knowlesy mentions, this is the genius that was so annoyed at Sauber signing Kimi over Bernoldi (!) that he had Red Bull sell their stake in the team.

I really, really hate seeing drivers jerked around like this. Very few are lightning-fast from their first race. We've seen too many that become stronger and stronger again after a couple of seasons to make this goldfish-like attention span of Red Bull acceptable...

ensign14 - ooooh, that's low
Old 22 Mar 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1259243)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The answer is simple:

Let Liuzzi test all year and become au fais with all things F1. And guarantee him a race drive for '06.

Then either thank DC for his help and send him packing, or farm out Klien or Liuzzi to another team, maintaining an option on their futures.

The future for RBR is to have Klien and Liuzzi as team mates.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1259251)   #19
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd suggest, that the future of RBR does not include both Klien and Liuzzi. Red Bull is going to put an American (Speed, probably) in a race seat as soon as he shows he is ready for it.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1259277)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the long term, Scott Speed will probably get a chance, although I expect he'll initially be third driver, either for the half-season Liuzzi is supposed to be doing, or for 2006. The idea of keeping Liuzzi in reserve and then farming one or the other of them out for 2006 seems to make the most sense - they still need DC's experience and skill.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1259300)   #21
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it happens it will be very tough on Klien. He certainly deserves to keep the seat on his current form, and he won't be able to drive as third driver on Fridays either, so it's a double blow. I get the impression that the first tiny mistake he makes will have him shown the door, which stinks frankly. I think Luizzi should keep the test role for now to learn the tracks, but he obviously has a contract that guarantees him a race seat this year, or this wouldn't be an issue. Also there is no guarantees that he will be any better over a race distance, and who says he will get a better offer from another team this season? Sauber is only an assumption based on it being the only semi-competitive drive possibly available. Bearing in mind their rumoured car problems they would be better off with an experienced developer like Wurz or Davidson if he's available, not a rookie like Luizzi.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 23:38 (Ref:1259315)   #22
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, it seems that three into two (or four into two, if you include Scott Speed) does not go, and Klien will be left without a chair when the music stops.

For mine, it would be a poor man management decision though. If you don't perform in three races, you're out the door to let the next guy have a shot at three races. Klien has done very well, IMHO, in the first two races - certainly done enough to suggest he is learning the F1 caper quite well.

I'm reading bits and pieces of Martin Brundle's new book, and one comment he made in it struck me last night - no matter how well-attuned to a Formula 3 car the driver might be, there is always an extra element of surprise when driving a Formula 1 car. That was true back in the 80s - it's probably true now. So, IMHO, let Klien have the season in the RBR, allow Liuzzi to come up to speed by testing the RBR, and make a considered decision at the end of the season.

But then again, I haven't made a billion bucks, so what do I know?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 23:58 (Ref:1259338)   #23
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline

But then again, I haven't made a billion bucks, so what do I know?
Don't be so negative! I'm sure it's just a matter of time!
Old 23 Mar 2005, 00:05 (Ref:1259344)   #24
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14

Sorry, took me a while to twig. I need to branch out.

(Think I may be seeing you in Hell...)

On the Klien/Liuzzi debate, was it not Mateschitz, presumably in part on the advice of Marko, who foisted Klien on Jaguar last year, when Purnell and Pitchforth wanted him to be third driver? Ironic, then, that Klien's drive is now under threat.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 06:27 (Ref:1259480)   #25
Kicking-back
Veteran

Everyone's seeing this as "Klien's drive under threat".

If both Klien and Liuzzi were told before the season started they'd be alternating the drive in three-race stints, it's not a problem.