Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Sep 2018, 14:31 (Ref:3849404)   #1451
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What about letters? A to V.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3849421)   #1452
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Because that is the traditional way it was done prior to this recent drivers chosen career number nonsense.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I associate numbers with teams and occasionally standout drivers.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 15:38 (Ref:3849422)   #1453
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Formula 1 always likes to over complicate things, so initially mandate #1 for the reigning champion, with the subsequent numbers allocated to the drivers, depending on where they finished in the WDC.

After round 1, except for the reigning champion, the numbers are then reallocated for round 2, depending on where the drivers finished in the previous race and so on throughout the rest of the season.

However, I'm not too sure what this has to do with McLaren's competitiveness or lack of it but it's sort of interesting, nonetheless?
Old 11 Sep 2018, 18:46 (Ref:3849454)   #1454
Nononsensecapeesh
Veteran

England
Stevenage, Herts, UK
Nononsensecapeesh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread seems to have gone off at a tangent.
Old 11 Sep 2018, 18:50 (Ref:3849457)   #1455
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
A lot more entertaining that way, some might say......
Old 11 Sep 2018, 19:48 (Ref:3849463)   #1456
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nononsensecapeesh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A lot more entertaining that way, some might say......
If it stuck to topic it'd be over pretty quickly - "No".
Old 11 Sep 2018, 20:14 (Ref:3849470)   #1457
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
If it stuck to topic it'd be over pretty quickly - "No".
They're running the lowest number, so traditionally a competitive sign!
Old 12 Sep 2018, 00:22 (Ref:3849516)   #1458
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
What numbers would rookies run?
31 plus indicating they are rookies.

So on the system 2018 numbers would be:

1 Hamilton
2 Vettel
3 Bottas
4 Raikkonen
5 Ricciardo
6 Verstappen

31 Leclerc ? Allocated according to when named in the seat.

Guess what FOM wouldn't like is that it may make the grid look a bit thin.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 00:47 (Ref:3849518)   #1459
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
“McLaren: Can they compete?” They say no - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...-poorEURTM-car
Mr Brown is already on record saying that it may take as long as ten years to get back to full competitiveness. Neatly giving himself ten years in the top job at McLaren.

I think the current management of McLaren is going to ruin it, if I had shares I would be offloading them as fast as possible.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula-one/44725602
Old 12 Sep 2018, 02:31 (Ref:3849525)   #1460
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Mr Brown is already on record saying that it may take as long as ten years to get back to full competitiveness. Neatly giving himself ten years in the top job at McLaren.

I think the current management of McLaren is going to ruin it, if I had shares I would be offloading them as fast as possible.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula-one/44725602
In that article it says: "But Brown said he was "not done" with making changes at McLaren after six years in the wilderness." Can McLaren realistically remain in the doldrums for another 10 years, who would want to sponsor them? We've seen what happened to Force India and Williams.

As for Zak Brown, there is something about him that doesn't distill any confidence and that's because I think he really knows what he's doing. Whenever he's interviewed, he just trots out one cliche after another: ""I'm very confident of the people we have inside McLaren, that we have a good plan.", "We are in the starting process of our recovery plan, and we plan to enhance our technical team,". I could be completely wrong but I've come across people like him too many times.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3849540)   #1461
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
What are McLaren’s finances like? With Williams it’s all we hear about, but McLaren not so much.
Old 12 Sep 2018, 14:32 (Ref:3849644)   #1462
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
What are McLaren’s finances like? With Williams it’s all we hear about, but McLaren not so much.
Total Nett Worth 88 million Pounds... on turnover of 180 million..That is Mclaren Racing Ltd.
Looks financially fine on paper.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 01:56 (Ref:3849757)   #1463
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Stoff may not suit the McLaren but he is no slouch. The right environment and a car that actually works might help.
Your beef should be with McLaren as they are the ones who have dropped him (somewhat inexplicably as Norris + Vandoorne would have been a tidy lineup of McLaren junior proteges, why recruit Sainz?).
Old 13 Sep 2018, 01:58 (Ref:3849758)   #1464
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
And with two young guns (one of them a rookie), I think they will lack the knowledge to get the cars heading in the right direction. So more pain for McLaren fans yet.
Their problems seem to be mainly in the wind tunnel, where drivers aren't much help!
Old 13 Sep 2018, 02:39 (Ref:3849764)   #1465
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wikipedia, aka the font of all knowledge says its majority owned by Bahrain. So they should be ok for a few more weeks atleast.

Mumtalakat Holding Company ("Mumtalakat") is the sovereign wealth fund of the federal government of the Kingdom of Bahrain.[1]
Old 13 Sep 2018, 07:33 (Ref:3849790)   #1466
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Your beef should be with McLaren as they are the ones who have dropped him (somewhat inexplicably as Norris + Vandoorne would have been a tidy lineup of McLaren junior proteges, why recruit Sainz?).
I disagree that Vandoorne’s sacking was “inexplicable”. He was underperforming.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3849823)   #1467
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
My guess is they think Sainz is more capable of either developing the car/team or of bringing in sponsorship than Vandoorne is. I wonder if they hope to maintain some of the sponsors who came for Alonso by putting another Spainard in the car.. Then again, what sponsors do they have at the moment anyway

Feel for Vandoorne, he's clearly a talent but he obviously needs more time. I hope he gets it somewhere and can work his way up the grid.

Im a big mclaren fan, mostly in GT (its not been so great these last few years to be a mclaren fan in either), but I did hope they could have found a solution for Vandoorne.

If they only were to enter into a P1 program...
Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:08 (Ref:3849831)   #1468
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Seems as though McLaren were between a rock and a hard place regarding Norris.

Apparently, if McLaren did not sign him up for a full time drive with them for 2019, Norris was going to be a free agent before the Singapore GP. And Norris would probably end up at another team. Most likely Toro Rosso I'm guessing.

Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3849833)   #1469
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Apparently Stoffel has had trouble adapting from GP2 to F1
Old 13 Sep 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3849840)   #1470
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Apparently Stoffel has had trouble adapting from GP2 to F1
Apparently he’s just not on Alonso’s level
Old 13 Sep 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3849854)   #1471
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Apparently he’s just not on Alonso’s level
Apparently no one is at Alonso's level. This may probably be true. I'm just guessing though....
Old 13 Sep 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3849866)   #1472
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Apparently no one is at Alonso's level. This may probably be true. I'm just guessing though....
Lucky Norris, nobody will ever know ...
Old 14 Sep 2018, 03:13 (Ref:3849990)   #1473
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
McLaren used to have this Hamilton chap who has pretty good, they also had a Button chap who was pretty good too!
Old 14 Sep 2018, 04:03 (Ref:3849997)   #1474
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Trulli had Alonso's measure in the first part of 2004 as well.... until he imploded thanks to a Flav nuke.
Old 14 Sep 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3850108)   #1475
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Only Hamilton and Vettel can get on Fred’s level and maybe Danny and Max too